NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Hunt - get your internet issues fixed

Hunt has a nice selection of items ending tonight, but I've only been able to place one bid - the system keeps dying.

We've discussed AH's having back-up plans - when the catalogs have such small pictures and lot detail isn't even included, it's critical. I don't feel comfortable bidding on some of these lots based on what I can remember from looking at them online previously. I'll place one bid via the phone, but the other 4-5 items I was interested in won't receive bids.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Jeff

Are they having issues with CompuServe again?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-26-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hunt has a nice selection of items ending tonight, but I've only been able to place one bid - the system keeps dying.
C'mon, they have a phone, too! You can call them because, you know, this Internet thing is just a fad.

Hunt has been the worst auction house going for roughly 15 years.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
C'mon, they have a phone, too! You can call them because, you know, this Internet thing is just a fad.

Hunt has been the worst auction house going for roughly 15 years.
Sounds like consistency you can count on.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

I did call them and placed a bid on the one item I felt okay about based just on the crappy catalog pic. And they never emailed more pics of the other item I asked about.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

The worst thing was the defensive attitude of the person I spoke with. Apparently I am the first person ever to complain about not getting a response to an email question. That must mean the first time I complained around 10 years ago and no one other than me has complained since then.

Oh, and my call-in bid still hasn't been placed.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Oh, and my call-in bid still hasn't been placed.
This gave me a nasty flashback to circa 2001 when several of my bids (placed by phone or computer? I forget) evaporated in Exton. No apologies and no excuses were forthcoming from Hunt. I've wished them nothing but bad ever since.

Bill
Old 08-26-2015, 05:56 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Yeah- I'm having the same issues unfortunately.

Last edited by sporteq; 08-26-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

My bid just got placed!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

It sucks being without internet. We changed providers a week ago and they bit the dust last night - centurylink won't come out to fix their screw-up until at least Saturday. That left me bidding from a crap coffee shop connection. But I am learning to type on a galaxy mini
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was bidding on one lot. This kinda sucks.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

It may be running a little better.. I just placed 2 bids with NO errors. Stay tuned folks!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM
keith janosky

I can't believe with as much money as they make that they have the crappiest website out there of any auction house. The pictures are small and terrible, descriptions are small. You would think on some of the nice items they have they always just put one picture and never multiple pictures like other auction houses. When they have game used bats they just take one picture. I would like to see what the knob looks like and the barrel and multiple pictures and it's just one picture of the whole bat so you have to email them to have them send you better pictures why not do that in the first place on the website. I complained before about how crappy their website is and after all these years its still the same.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I regularly spend 6 figures a year on online auctions for baseball cards and memorabilia. Because of Hunt's ridiculous website and system I don't even peruse their auctions. If you consign with them you need to have your head examined.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was bidding on one lot. This kinda sucks.
I was too
Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I can't believe with as much money as they make that they have the crappiest website out there of any auction house. The pictures are small and terrible, descriptions are small. You would think on some of the nice items they have they always just put one picture and never multiple pictures like other auction houses. When they have game used bats they just take one picture. I would like to see what the knob looks like and the barrel and multiple pictures and it's just one picture of the whole bat so you have to email them to have them send you better pictures why not do that in the first place on the website. I complained before about how crappy their website is and after all these years its still the same.
You would think after 2 decades of being successful, he would upgrade his catalogs/website etc. Maybe to much success has made him lazy.. Not sure what his mindset is, if any.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Hunt was the entity that bought the legendary Willow Grove/Ft Washington show. That show ran 4x annually for years and was almost as good as the National. But, have you heard anything about it recently? I doubt it.

They get consignments from people who don't know better and they have a low rent operation, otherwise they'd be gone.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Todd Schultz

I stupidly spent 25 minutes messing around with their crap-awful website this afternoon. I thought I had blocked their emails but if so one got through today and I foolishly clicked. As far as I'm concerned I got what I deserved--25 minutes of aggravation. Never again, and shame on me for thinking it would be an easier or better experience than the last five times I swore off (and at) their site.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I was too
Oh quit it Greg. double smiley
Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Dan Bretta

I forgot about it ending tonight...just went and placed some bids with no problems so they must have gotten it fixed.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I forgot about it ending tonight...just went and placed some bids with no problems so they must have gotten it fixed.
They did seem to get it fixed and the one lot I bid on is already more than I want to pay for it. I am not even the under bidder. Good luck to everyone...
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Robert Klevens

I am one person with sales barely at $150k a year and the auction site I use is much better than Hunt's. I almost never bid in their auctions due to poor images and how difficult it is to navigate. I can't understand why they don't upgrade their platform.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Their website without question is the worst in the hobby, but it's hard to get the deals that I used to 5-10 years ago so they probably figure they don't need to change because while it might seem like 90% of Net54 members claim they won't bid in a Hunt auction because of their website, lots of people somewhere are bidding and making it hard to get any kind of a deal.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

My bids are also working now. As bad as the website software is, the customer 'service' is why I am probably through with them. The older employees really need to take time to train the youngsters on how to listen and how to say 'yes'. In the past I have dealt with some great people who were just hindered by a bad system.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

The next time Hunt posts on this site will the first time they've ever once posted here. Ever. "We're working on the issue, thanks for your patience", etc.

You know who has a better website than Hunt? Teletrade, and they croaked in 2004. That operation deserves its own story.

I do enjoy the Flash animation on the Hunt homepage; it's almost as good as the T206 Museum which, by the way, is still run by a criminal.

You don't know how much we miss you, Teletrade.

Edited to add links. Every t206 collector needs to read about Pat Chan. That thread is the single best one on this forum in 14 years.

Last edited by bcornell; 08-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Teletrade was great when the only way to bid was by phone; it was all automated and I will never forget that robotic voice. It was also always a challenge to get through right before 10PM to check your bids and place a final one if you had been outbid.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Paul

Someone got a sweet deal on that signed T206 of Crawford! About $3,000 less than the last Crawford sold at auction in Heritage.

I sure hope it was bought by a Net54 member!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.2 KB, 270 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Tom Boblitt

The problem is you guys are all using those new-fangled pentium thingys whereas Hunts website is optimized to run on a Commodore 64 using the latest Netscape 1.0 browser......go to Lycos and look it up. I'm not even kidding......
Old 08-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

This Crawford seemed like a good deal, but the previous one seemed pricey. I won the primary lot I was after tonight.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 PM

I bid primarily on Hunt's warehouse lots and always do very well on them.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 PM
qu@n nguy3n

signed t206 marquard for "only" $800? yay prices going down...

hunt is my favorite AH. you guys that have beef with them or pissed they still use the $10 geocities web package...keep staying away. thanks!

Last edited by chaddurbin; 08-26-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
hunt is my favorite AH. you guys that have beef with them or pissed they still use the $10 geocities web package...keep staying away. thanks!
Leon's battle against board anonymity doesn't include Quan, apparently... Evil triumphs.

Keep on buying that shiny stuff, Q!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 AM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Teletrade was great when the only way to bid was by phone; it was all automated and I will never forget that robotic voice. It was also always a challenge to get through right before 10PM to check your bids and place a final one if you had been outbid.

Oh man.. I remember having a phone in each hand pushing the redial button till one line got thru. I still have the stacks of them slender catalogs. Anyone know what happened to Greg Manning.. Maybe I'll look him up.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

if anyone won lot 930 (Signed Phil. A's Team issues) I would love to work something out for the Kell's

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Their buyers premium is one of the lowest.