NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Default Need help with this baseball photograph

A friend of mine got found this in a pile of stuff and thought it was a picture of a local baseball team. I saw it and immediately saw it was not local as it had Andrews Field on it. My first thought was maybe 1940's - 50's Andrews Air Force Base. Can anyone shed any light on this one? Thanks. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3904.jpg (67.8 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Though I am far from an expert the uni's look to be 1940s - 1950s. It could be a team made up of civilians working on base? Good luck in the quest.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM

I can find there was a place called Andrews Field in Chattanooga between 1911 and 1929. It is mentioned in this article, although all of the pictures are for Engel Stadium.
https://deadballbaseball.com/?p=6442

I find a RPPC showing the Andrews Field in Chattanooga:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...eld-1865579416

Not saying anything about connecting this field with the picture, just that there is something in Tennessee that had the same name.

I can find there is/was an Andrews Field in Fort Smith Arkansas:
http://andrewsfield.blogspot.com/

I did find a mention of a basketball team called Andrews Field Rockets near Hagerstown MD.

Nothing more than that, maybe it gives someone a lead, who knows.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I feel that it is most likely a team from Andrews (Air Force Base) in Maryland. That is due to the short hair cuts, and the man in uniform at the back-left. Also, the building behind them is the right style for a military base, and the water tower also fits in.

If the picture was before Sep 1947, then Andrews was an Army Air Force field, as the Air Force did not exist as a separate service until Sep 18, 1947. Also, if it is Andrews (AFB), the picture was taken after 7 Feb 1945, as that is the day it was named after Lt Gen Frank Andrews. Before that date, it was named "Springs Army Air Base.

I really doubt it has any relation to "Andrews Field" in Chattanooga or anywere else, as I've never heard of a baseball team being named after their home field/stadium/park.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments. My thought that it might be Andrews Air Force Base was also because of the Army Uniformed person on the left and the look of the background. It very well be a civilian team playing for the base and would have to after 7 February 1945. The mystery continues and i really do appreciate all the comments. I am sure someone on this board will have an answer for us.

Jim
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Chris Counts

I agree with Steve that this is a team from Andrews Field in Maryland between 1945 and 1947. The uniforms match the era, the name only existed for a couple years, and there's a Kingsport nearby.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I agree with Steve that this is a team from Andrews Field in Maryland between 1945 and 1947. The uniforms match the era, the name only existed for a couple years, and there's a Kingsport nearby.
Chris - thanks. I would be interested in knowing where the nearby Kingsport is. I am a transplant here but have been told this is the only Kingsport in the U.S.
Jim
Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Chris Counts

It's also a neighborhood in Annapolis, MD.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
It's also a neighborhood in Annapolis, MD.
Chris,
Thanks. I figured it had to be a local neighborhood.
Jim