NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Philadelphia Athletics composite with Mack, Bender, Collins ca.1910

I just purchased this large composite of the Phil. Athletics. I know this same image is used on a post card, but this is 16.5" x 13.5". Does anyone know anything about these.

Were these a display piece at stores?

On the back is written something in pencil that looks like "Oak Good Grocery Mart". I do plan to get photos of the back, but don't have any right now.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 AM

This image was the basis for a beautifully made pinback, about 2.5" in diameter. I nearly went blind trying to read the names of the players beneath their picture. The reduction in size from poster to pin was so great that the first few times I looked at the pin I didn't realize there were names beneath their pictures. I always wondered about the basis of the pin. What a great discovery!

Paul
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
This image was the basis for a beautifully made pinback, about 2.5" in diameter. I nearly went blind trying to read the names of the players beneath their picture. The reduction in size from poster to pin was so great that the first few times I looked at the pin I didn't realize there were names beneath their pictures. I always wondered about the basis of the pin. What a great discovery!

Paul
I didn't know about the pin. I did find what you were talking about:

I only knew about the postcard:
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Kind of looks like a notebook cover to me.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Kind of looks like a notebook cover to me.
At 16"x 13" that is highly unlikely.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 AM

It doesn't have to be for standard writing paper. Could be some kind of slate? The grocery store notation on the back is why I mention it. Doesn't seem to be a display, unless it looks like maybe a stand was torn off the back.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It doesn't have to be for standard writing paper. Could be some kind of slate? The grocery store notation on the back is why I mention it. Doesn't seem to be a display, unless it looks like maybe a stand was torn off the back.
Oh come on they don't need a pad of paper that large, they would just use computers

I am still not thinking it was a notebook cover (I could be wrong, and am ok with that). The size just doesn't lend itself to something of that use. Also there are no indications on the sides of it being attached to something prior or of it being cut down. There is a pin hole on the top making me think someone did hang it up at one point, but even if it was part of a large notebook it could have been hung up at a later date.

I will point out that this must have been the original usage of the image, as the other two items just scaled this down to fit sizes that didn't match up.

The individual I bought it from couldn't remember where he got it from. When I asked him if he knew anything and if he remembered the origins this was his response:

Quote:
Sorry I dont. I've had it a long time and don't even remember where I got it. I always meant to bring it to a restorer but never did. I always like it because it was a match for the postcard I mentioned, which I had. I would guess it was originally a store display but don't know for sure.

I've never seen another one.
I will say that the writing on the back isn't that clear, and have never really been that great at deciphering illegible writing. When I get an image I can get more opinions on what is written.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 05-09-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Andy,

Unless the players featured on your poster were on both the 1910 and 1911 teams, you (we, the hobby) would no longer have to say "circa." The pin made from this poster sort of has a mate. It shows just the heads of the players superimposed on an elephant. And the image on that particular pin I have seen in other objects. One is a dinner plate, I believe.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
At 16"x 13" that is highly unlikely.
Here you go.. very cool display!

Albert

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-03-06-18-16-56-1.jpg (11.1 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by sporteq; 03-05-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Ed L@m

Great piece. That image was also used as the cover of some sheet music called "World Champions March" published by Joseph Palladino of Camden, NJ.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporteq View Post
Here you go.. very cool display!

Albert

Thank you for that. That one is definitely in much better condition (even if the matte is hiding some edge flaws), but amazing you have to go back to 2001 to find another example.

I have been sick the last two days so when I have been home I have been in bed. Hopefully this weekend I will get a photo of the reverse (the photo I posted is the photo given to me by Lew). It is a mainly blank reverse other than the writing, but at least you would have a better idea of what this piece looks like.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Thank you for that. That one is definitely in much better condition (even if the matte is hiding some edge flaws), but amazing you have to go back to 2001 to find another example.

I have been sick the last two days so when I have been home I have been in bed. Hopefully this weekend I will get a photo of the reverse (the photo I posted is the photo given to me by Lew). It is a mainly blank reverse other than the writing, but at least you would have a better idea of what this piece looks like.
Sorry, you not well. I hope you feel better soon! I've seen a few in various auctions and remembered Hunt had one up for grabs. Glad I can be of help.

Albert
Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I finally got around to taking photos of the back and the text written on it. The text could mean nothing, and started swaying that way which is why I delayed taking photos.

Full disclosure: I did originally buy this to stay in my collection. Due to life circumstances I am now looking to make my collection a lot smaller. That is why I finally got around to doing the photos because I want to inventory to seek out auction houses if I decide to go through with the selling.