NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM

The only thing better than an auction catalog is a free auction catalog.

No, seriously a lot of the auction houses have said that some of their big buyers want to see all of the lots in a condensed format because they take their catalogs with them on business trips, family vacations, etc,... and it's easier for them to bid by phone than to worry about bidding online.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Daryl

Default Do you need to get auction catalogs?

Yes.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The only thing better than an auction catalog is a free auction catalog.

No, seriously a lot of the auction houses have said that some of their big buyers want to see all of the lots in a condensed format because they take their catalogs with them on business trips, family vacations, etc,... and it's easier for them to bid by phone than to worry about bidding online.
I appreciate that 'some' buyers want the physical catalog, and I know the catalogs won't entirely go away.

However, I'd love for some auction companies to see that not all collectors need the catalogs, and they could save big bucks (and hopefully pass some of that savings on to buyers / consignors) by not having to print and mail catalogs for every bidder.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Yes, I like auction catalogs. I always miss some things in the fatiguing internet scan that I catch in the catalog in big auctions like REA. I don't want to read a phone book on the internet.
JimB
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Bill Hedin

Default the kind people at the auction houses!

I enjoy the auction catalogs very much. With my unique situation of being sick, it's easier for me to read the actual catalog than going on-line to read it.

I am by no means a big buyer, however, I do buy an item or two.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Doug Allen and Rob Lifson for their kindness and generosity in mailing me all their books. The reference material is price-less and i certainly appreciate their kindness.

My favorite two items won in recent auctions are an E95 of Wagner from legendary and a wonderful group of 1974 PSA cards from our leader and all around good guy Leon Luckey!

As for Steve's question, I'd have to say yes; I would pay for the catalog if it was necessary. I believe it was a conversation with our friend Rich Klien where we were conversing about the value of such catalogs for simply reference value.

Once again, I would like to extend my thanks to all our members. Our group here on net54 represent the very best of all hobbyists in our chosen field.

Thanks for this opportunity to express my opinion about another important issue in our industry.

Best Wishes to ALL my friends,

Bill Hedin
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I'm probably in the minority but I personally much prefer just to view auctions online (assuming there are large scans and the site is easy to navigate). Current bid prices, watch-lists, search function, etc. are all benefits vs. a catalog to me. Catalogs are fun and all to sit and read, but AH's would be just fine w/o them in my opinion.

I know a lot of people say that they miss things that they only catch in the catalog, that viewing online is more trouble, that AH's would lose bidders w/o catalogs, etc., but take away the catalogs and I have no doubt that those same bidders would adapt.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM
David Vargha

I'm old school. I prefer reading the catalogues. Beside, it's too much of a pain to read auctions on my computer while I'm sitting on the can.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargha View Post
I'm old school. I prefer reading the catalogues.
Are you British too?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Steve C.

Default Do you need to get auction catalogs?

I also prefer to view the auctions on-line only. I'm registered with nearly all of the on-line auction houses and I've called every last one of them asking to take me off their mailing list. Most of them found my request to be unusual and many of them asked me "are you sure you don't want to receive the catalog?" Despite my efforts, I still get a few in the mail every now and then.

If you do go paperless, be sure to stay on their e-mail list so you continue to receive their notifications regarding upcoming auctions.

Steve
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I have no doubt that those same bidders would adapt.
Jeff,
I refuse to adapt!
JimB
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Scott S

I agree, given a choice, I'll take the catalog(ue) if there's no direct cost for it.

But, if more places had the H&S option of "save $10 or $20 to opt out of the catalog", would you take them up on it? I know I would.

I have a feeling a "pay for the catalog" model could hurt business and wouldn't be adopted by many, but I think the H&S option is a good one which could be used by others to the benefit of all parties.