NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default Exciting New Discovery: Archibald "Moonlight" Graham item (Field of Dreams)

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I have been around this hobby for a long time and this was new to me, so I figured I would share with the collective. I have always liked the 1902-10 W601 Sporting Life Team Composites, as they are rare opportunities to see players of whom cards were never made.

I picked up the 1907 Scranton BBC W601 a few weeks ago and was thrilled to find a young man known to most of us through the epic baseball movie "Field of Dreams." The player was Archibald "Moonlight" Graham, who just as was said in the movie played in the majors but never had an official at bat. He would later quit professional baseball and become the town Doctor in a small Minnesota town for the rest of his life, earning the respect of nearly everyone who would come to know him.

I was unaware of any items that could even loosely be described as "baseball cards" or anything included in the ACC that included Graham up until now. He plyed for the Scranton Minors off-and-on from 1905-1908 (one of the nearly baseball card free eras) and was one of their usual outfielders.

Anyways, I thought there would be some interest among those in the hobby that really love the history of the game. Below are some pictures, there is some staining, but it isn't as bad as the large picture makes it seem(as can be seen in the close up photo).

I have not yet decided what I will do with the piece, but may just keep it.

-Rhett

Large photo of whole piece:

Close up of Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

Old 07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default Exciting New Discovery: Archibald "Moonlight" Graham item (Field of Dreams)

Posted By: Anthony S.

That's incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing. He looks nothing like Burt Lancaster.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Nice to see something not related to money on here. Old Doc Graham must be looking down today pleased as can be that he is remembered by baseball fans who never even met him.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Oddly enough, his signature brings incredible money. Although he died in 1965, there are precious few holographic examples in existence. I understand that Kinsella (and Lancaster) created an endearing character, but to me it's silly to base memorabilia value on a fictitious persona, even if some of the facts are indeed true. Then again, there would be no market for items dealing with Calamity Jane and other historical figures whose legends are mired in falsehood if this were the case.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Jodi, to be honest I don't find it odd in the least bit. History (and certainly baseball history) is full of similar examples. Does it really make sense that people collect and pay thousands on players like Fred McMullin, Hap Felsh, Swede Risberg, etc? Maybe not to some, but they are novelties in and of themselves. I for one would rather have his signature than 50 other players who had similar death dates but wouldn't mean that much to me. To each his own I guess.
-Rhett

Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I think part of the allure of autographs of historical figures, even historical figures whose stories have been mythologized, is that it allows you to prove that they really did exist. Having an autograph from a Wyatt Earp or Calamity Jane is no less puzzling than having one of Cary Grant or Marilyn Monroe. All represent an effort to touch something tangible that belonged to an exceptional member of the human race, one who has achieved practical immortality.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 07-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Sorry, perhaps I should have added that I understand and appreciate the allure of a McMullin or a Charlie Faust. These men actually played a role in the history of the game, and that is the reason why they are remembered. Graham is only remembered and revered due to W.P. Kinsella needing a character with a great name to fit his storyline. It is the character that is loved, not the actual person. Ergo, I find it silly that people would shell out four figures to own something signed by a semi-fictitious individual. Just to show my hypocrisy, I'll happily buy any authentic Graham signatures at decent rates to add a few bits to my savings account!

***To add some backbone to my position, there was a WWII-era player named Lawrence "Crash" Davis, whose name was used for a fictional character in Bull Durham . Despite the cult status of the film, his autograph carries no premium.***

Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Adam,

I should add that I wholeheartedly agree with your eloquent comments, and hope that the above response clarifies my views.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I always find great interest in players who only appeared in one game in the majors,especially if it happened awhile ago. One of my favorite personal autographs I have is from a guy named Ty Pickup who died back in 1974. He played just one game for the Phillies in 1918 and had a 1.000 avg,1 hit in 1 AB. Gotta love the name and that batting average! Usually if you search hard enough you'll find a cool story behind why a guy played just one game,sometimes all you need to see is the stats and its obvious

Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Jodi, I understand where you are coming from BUT Graham is not a fictitious person. He was a major leaguer and later became a beloved person in his city of Chisholm, MN and was the town Doctor for nearly 60 years. While it was due to the Kinsella book and the later Costner film that brought him from obscurity to a nearly house-hold name, nonetheless he is now a well known part of baseball (and American) history. I see no difference between him and other "novelties" of the game like Faust. Faust merely had a strange life and suffered from mental/behavioral problems, as did Marty Bergen (a gruesome story there), but all these people are what help give the game of baseball some character (although I hope nothing like what Bergen did ever happens again, and wish it never had)
-Rhett

Old 07-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Rhett,

I understand and am fully aware of Graham's real-life persona. To reiterate, he did nothing in life, baseball career or otherwise, to make his signature so valuable. Kinsella's fictionalized treatment of him is what catapulted the value. Faust's zany antics and McMullin's role in baseball's biggest scandal are such that their autographs are fully deserving of carrying the premium that they do (actually, there aren't any Faust sigs out there as far as I know, but that's not the point). Just because I don't necessarily agree with the premium attached does not mean that I fail to understand why .

John,

Funny you should mention one-gamers! I also avidly collected them! My favorite is a guy named Icehouse Wilson, who made his lone big league appearance with the A.L. champion 1934 Tigers.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Jodi, He wasn't chosen at random by Kinsella. Regardless, I am hijacking my own thread as this shouldn't have become a debate as to why anyone would care about Archibald Graham.
-Rhett

Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, I suppose I am to blame for the hijack. Not to take away from your discovery, which is indeed a great find, but this discussion has been far more interesting (to me, at least) than the usual, "Wow, cool piece!". (No sarcasm intended)

Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i'll jump in here...

i TOTALLY understand the interest, premium and allure of any moonlight graham memorabilia. it is without debate that he is now part of our vernacular due to kinsella & field of dreams...but his story is compelling and it is not fiction, his one game in the majors DID happen...and he DID go on to become an important figure in a small town.

his is a very "romantic" story, made even MORE romantic thru the lines delivered by burt lancaster.

i'd love to have a piece of his memorabila...Rhett- great piece, BTW...

p.s. on a similar note, i just found out about a player named Roy Gleason. he played only a few games in late 1963 on the championship LA dodger team, mostly as a pinch-runner...BUT, in ONE of those games, he did get ONE official at bat...he got a double.

i am excited to say that just acquired his game used bat.

edited becasue i can't spell...

Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I recently visited Jimmy Mains' grave along with his father W. E. Mains who played with many of the 1800's greats. I find it rather intriguing to find out about those that only made one appearance in the "show". Those W.E. Mains bats have a great feel to them.

Rawn

Old 07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Here's a 1898 Cameo Pepsin Willard Mains. He is among the best minor league players of all time. He was also born, raised, and died in Maine (one of my favorite places I've lived--at least 2 seasons of the year were nice!)
-Rhett

Old 07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

...is that a player that only had a few (or less) at bats deserves some attention just for making it to the Majors. That said, I don't believe an autograph of that individual is worth much monetarily simply for that reason. But, for whatever "mythological" reasons, if a person's identity takes shape as a modern-day character, then why not celebrate the person that gave rise to that character?

I posted a few months back about a T206 common that I bought (very cheap) on Ebay that contained a hand-written signature and address on the back. After ALOT of research and some help from Net54 I learned that I had a card that was written on--if not owned--by Charles Kelly (played in two games before 1900 with Philadelphia). Kelly signed and wrote his address on the back of the card. I will never sell it or trade it. It is a highlight of my collection because of its uniqueness and history.

I don't know if this really contributes a whole lot to this thread's topic, but it's my couple of cents.

P.S.
*****If anyone has the Charles Kelly N172 (in any grade or condition) available for trade or sale, please let me know. As far as I know, that's the only card he's pictured on.*******

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Rhett, thanks for sharing. What a remarkable find.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Rhett - that is fantastic!!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Rhett,

That's a wonderful piece ... As far as I'm concerned, Moonlight Graham is a truly compelling figure in baseball history ... I would imagine he also shows up in a few of the team pictures featured in those Reach or Spalding guides from that era ...

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

Rhett - Thank you for sharing.

Jodi - I understand where you're coming from but as you know simple logic doesn't work in collecting prices. I'm sure from your point of view many other autographs should bring more money than Grahams, but for whatever reason they don't. Maybe those guys stories need to be heard.

If it weren't for Longfellow Paul Revere would never be the icon he is today. Just thank Kinsella for shining the spotlight on Graham and giving one of the many deserving guys with a great story some publicity that would have otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Manning

Readers might be interested to know that "Moonlight's" younger brother was Frank Porter Graham, president of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for nineteeen years, and first president of the consolidated University system. A distinguished educator, he was defeated for a seat in the US Senate in 1950 in one of the dirtiest campaigns in southern history. I think I'd rather have his autograph.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Fun and significant find for many folks. Thanks for closing the gap on the most popular baseball movie Rhett!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Rhett - Field of Dreams is our family's favorite movie of all time. I showed your find to my wife with only the hint that it was a minor league team because the player wasn't in the majors enough to have a card made and she immediately said "Is that Moonlight Graham?" followed moments later by "how badly do you want that?" Thanks for sharing the image; it gave us a nice moment.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?"

-Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham, Field of Dreams.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Rhett,

Cool piece, and thanks for sharing.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

That is a realy nice item, great history and movie

Thanks for posting

Jimmy

Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

A great find. Very cool item.