NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Additions to Lipset's Encyclopedia

There are a few references to future volumes dealing with D cards, H cards, and others throughout Lipset's Encyclopedia. Were any additional volumes ever released? Are there any other books available that go in to detail about sets not covered by Lipset in the first three volumes?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

I believe Lew was so burnt out doing the first three volumes that he shelved the idea for the rest.

Kinda like what George Lucas should've done...but I'll can the OT stuff now.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

[QUOTE=ChrisStufflestreet;747365]I believe Lew was so burnt out doing the first three volumes that he shelved the idea for the rest.

Kinda like what George Lucas should've done...but I'll can the OT stuff now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the last 3 volumes of the Encyclopedia would have been good.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Frank Wakefield

My understanding is that Mr. Lipset had considerable information together on M's and W's... but just wasn't ready to put that next volume together and then fund the initial printing. Three volumes. I'm thankful we have those...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Barry Arnold

Default lipset

i agree, Frank.
there are a number of helpful books out there but Lipset continues to be the
one which i turn to again and again, often 4 or 5 times a week.

best,

barry
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Rich Klein

Default Frank is pretty much dead on

and I'm sure of that because we had some copies at Beckett (and ran them occassionally in the old Beckett Vintage) of checklists and backgrounds of sets Lew did not run in the encyclopedia.

Regards
Rich
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Lew

I agree that Lew's books are excellent and I have often wished that more volumes were available. The copyright date on mine is 1983, and it would be interesting if an updated version was available. Lew's research seems to be very thorough and precise, but I'm sure that many new variations and quirks have been discovered in the past 26 years.

I wish I had the ambition and the knowledge to take on this project. Bob Lemke and the Krause Standard Catalog have done a good job of keeping track of recent updates. I would love to see a catalog that dealt with only pre-1980 baseball and one that would include all of the most obscure sets and cards, along with more thorough descriptions of the sets and variations.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hey Rick,

There were no updates as in a revised edition. Sometimes something would be mentioned in Mr. Lipset's newsletter, The Old Judge.

It had to be extremely frustrating to see an error in there after it has been printed. Those things have a way of hiding until printing...

In an ideal world a dozen of us would step away from our real lives for a few weeks, immerse ourselves in a meeting wherein we updated Mr. Lipset's 3 volumes, added a 4th and maybe 5th, and revised and updated The American Card Catalog (in my mind making it only a baseball card updated version). But as I look at the mess in this little office, as I hear today's news, I realize we're not in my ideal world.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 09-03-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Joe P.

Default Nothing "Burnt Out" about Lew ..... :)

In the late 198o's, I can recall being in his den in Centereach, LI, picking up the third known Doyle from Lew's auction.
As we were sitting there, talking about the card, he pointed towards his computer.
I walked over to it, and there was the updated information about the Doyle error card being prepared for the latest edition of The Old Judge.

Lew amigo, Thank you for the three volumes, and Thank you for the follow ups of The Old Judge.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM

I was lucky enough to obtain from Lew the E126 Brown and E120 Tobin that are pictured on p. 48 of his E book. Their connection to his book makes them key parts of my collection.

Andy

Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the initial three volumes. I've had my copy (3-in-1) for less than a year, and it is already worn out.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

t213:

I believe this goes well with your E126:

Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Additions to Lipset's Encyclopedia

Perhaps a new section here at our forum: wikipedia54.org (?)

It would have sections for D cards, etc. where people can submit and add to checklists that they have that you can't find elsewhere. I've had my Lipset book for years, and use it frequently. Awesome book!