NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Default OK- I'll take my lumps on this '54 SI issue

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Take it easy on me, please. I was wondering whether SGC would/should grade these, and if so, why not?

I had a chance years ago to pick up real cheap a first edition SI with the card foldout, where part of the magazine and one entire row or column (I forget) of "cards" was mangled. I wondered what would be wrong with carefully cutting the remaining "cards". I doubted there would ever be a market for it, but thought that kids "back in the day" may have done this, and also thought they looked pretty cool. My "thou shall never deface an original, no matter what condition" values took hold, and I walked away.

Still, seems to me that these "cards" were intended to be cut from the sheet. SGC grades bazooka and post issues that have been cut, and even '71 Milk Duds cut from the box. In 1962, Maris and Mantle had their post cereal cards included on a special two-card panel in a magazine, and I know I've seen the Maris example graded by SGC and labeled as coming from the magazine. I may be wrong, but I also believe that the '41 Playball paper version has been graded, which clearly would have been cut from the sheet.

Don't get me wrong, I do not approve of NASA or AAA or whatever. It does appear to me however, that the '54 SI cards are completely different than cutting photos out of an old Reach or Spalding guide. So again, I ask, should/does SGC grade this issue?

Regards...........Todd

Old 12-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Todd, I agree with you. Though it can be debated whether or not these are real cards like Posts or Bazooka, I suspect that SI at least half-expected that kids might cut up the sheet into singles. As cards had nil value and the magazine itself was a throw away like today's newspaper, I'm sure they didn't care one way or the other what the kids did with it. There's the matter of current value and aesthetics of the 'singles' but there's nothing morally wrong with selling them as singles as long as they are represented as such. Obviously, value-wise the best thing is to keep the entire magazine intact-- but the same could be said for Bazooka and Post boxes.

The big debate was whether or not someone could sneak in the modern reprints as say the were vintage.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Simularly, other than aesthics and destruction of a magazine, I don't think most of us would object to Libertyforall if he advertised his 'cards' as "I bought an old Reach guide, took my scissors and cut out the picture from page 112. Please see my other auctions where I have clippings from pages 115 and 7." It's not so much what you sell, but whether or not you represent it accurately and sincerly.

Frankly, if an old coot came up to me with an Aaron Rookie he had cut from a sheet as a teenager, I'd probably pay a few bucks for it. Obviously not Aaron's real 54 Topps or 54 Johnston Cookies, but at the least an interesting odd ball.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Lastly, if I did buy that cutout single from the old coot (have to be careful as my dad, who occaionally has access to my computer, is an old coot), you can bet that I would offer the Aaron for sale (at profit)-- likely as part of the sales accompanying by 'authenticity' newsletters. It would probably service as a lead in to a little article on how to identify reprint versus original, but I would have no problem offering it for sale. What price is another question.

Old 12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The reprints of issue #1 may have discouraged him, though.