NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default How Would You Change The Hobby

Posted By: steve

Most feel a PSA review is a wasted effort. I have never heard of a collector who props PSA reviews and regularly sends in cards for this service.

You do not get a specifically detailed written explanation of the flaw(s) holding it back from a higher grade.

Change: Now you would get a personalized written explanation of the flaw(s) holding it back from a higher grade.

It doesn't have to be much, just some verbage like, "hairline on back, upper right otherwise would be 5", or "light residue spot left border otherwise would be 6."

If PSA would include this on PSA reviews, I would be giving them some business - doesn't PSA want more busines ?

steve

Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Sometimes I think people mix up the registry with simple population reports (Believe me, I know they are often not accurate.). Pop reports have given collectors a sense of the relative scarcity of items and this has propelled prices in many instances. Often the prices have nothing to do with buyers having sets on the registry or not. But increased information on relative scarcity can impact prices realized.
JimB

Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Hardgrove

Petition Major League Baseball to be more responsible in the fees and license agreements for those who print cards. Better let, let MLB print the cards themselves. One product, sold at a price that kids can afford to buy.

We can discuss forever issues of third party grading (any slabbed cards I buy are immediately unslabbed!), policing dealers, policing ebay, grading standards, etc.; but lets face it - if you price the kids out of the hobby (which has been done) the hobby has NO future!

Does MLB and the players REALLY need royalties from card production???

My 0.02 (inflated to 14.95).

Jon.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

The AU/AA grading is good for buying and selling in person.

Not online. Scans are just not good enough to grade cards accurately - especially high grades. Many times the scans are not very sharp. Even on better scans you don't see printer wrinkles - light creases - stains - gloss - or imperfections especially when the scan is not large enough.

The other disadvantage of the AU/AA grading is reselling. Disagreements to grade as years ago will be back. But that is minor compared to a collector that has a modest one hundred mix of nice (excellent to near mint+) cards all graded AU.

Tragedy: He dies. The family knows nothing about cards. They answer a couple of newspaper ads by individuals to buy baseball card collections. These potential buyers determine the grade of each card and therefore the offering price. The possibility that many cards may be graded by the potential buyers as one grade lower than should be then offering 50%-70% of book on the estimated of value. They chose the higher of the two bidders. Doubt that that family was paid nearly close to the real value of that collection. Had the cards been graded with a number they likely would have had a better advantage and a more favorable deal.

homo homini lupus

Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

We all have different reasons as to why we collect. The urge to "compete" is not among my top 100.

Collecting images of dead ballplayers on cardboard provides, for me, a refuge from the tailgating idiot who has to get to the next red light before I do, the guy with the most expensive watch and smallest phone, and the couple with the most pretentious house.

Each to his own.