NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Chris

Default Recieved Exhibit Vending Machine today-Broken

I recieved my exhibit card vending machine from USPS, but the glass is broken. I have never recieved anything broken in the mail before, so this is all new to me. The ebay seller purchased insurance, so I contacted them to get some information in order to file an insurance claim. Since the glass is only one component of the machine, how do I get reimbursed? I bought the machine for $300, and I assume it was insured for that amount, but how does reimbursement work? I really like the machine, but I bought this one because it actually had the glass, which is missing on a lot of machines. So now it has lost value. Is it better to just return the machine or do you think USPS will give me a pretty good money for the claim? I wonder how easy it is to get a piece of replacement glass made by someone? Here is a picture of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Default save the glass

and go to any local hardware store or local glass/screen store, even most big box(lowe's, home depot,etc) and they can cut new glass for you.

As to the PO you will probably get remibursed what it costs to do the above.

Scott
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
and go to any local hardware store or local glass/screen store, even most big box(lowe's, home depot,etc) and they can cut new glass for you.

As to the PO you will probably get remibursed what it costs to do the above.

Scott

Yup,

And honestly by the looks of it. I doubt that was the original glass anyways.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Default hope you get it

CB, Please keep us posted on this, how it goes. It's been my experience that it's a nose bleed to get your money from the USPS....I think all shippers begin with measuring to see if there are 3 inches between the item and the wall of the box. Essentially they look to see if it's packed right. I think I've received very few packages that were packed right. Mostly they get thru by fortune. In 23 years of collecting, I can hardly recall getting reimbursed, but I more recall filling out paper work and getting denied. Basically I see it as, if it's under $100 it's not worth the frustration. But maybe your claim will be approved. Packing, shipping and insurance are a whole subject to themselves.

I'm big on original glass...it's a big part of a piece's value to me.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I like the original glass as well. I received a 1920s Arcade game in a similar state (with broken glass) because the shipper did not properly protect it (to Carlton's point, they rarely package properly).

The good news is that antique glass is available on ebay and elsewhere. The original glass was thicker and had a "wavy" texture, that cannot be matched by anything available in today's market. The glass is now thinner and is perfectly clear (no waviness/depth to it).

If you can find the wavy glass, just have it cut to fit your machine. It wont cost much. Lots of times, old framed photos and vintage picture frames on ebay have the antique glass (if you can't find it otherwise). The vintage glass makes a surprisingly big difference in the appearance of your machine.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Chris

I don't think I will even bother dealing with USPS because the packaging wasn't very good at all. Te machine was practically sticking out of the box and the glass was not individually wrapped with bubble wrap or anything. I wish I knew whether the glass was original or not. I will look into that antique glass.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

As noted, getting a replacement glass should be easy. Cutting glass is a simple task. My sister is an artist, and she's cut glass often.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Joe

I agree. I bought a painting and fed Ex dropped it and broke the glass. Had it replaced and never even bothered with the claim. Would rather have the painting then the hassle of return and refund.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Chris

Already called a local hardware store and they sell glass and can cut it. Looks like that is what I will do.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Richard A.

I have nothing constructive to add to this post in terms of how to deal with USPS when it comes to insurance claims (I live in Canada).

I just wanted to chime in and state the obvious: That is a super cool piece!

Regards,

Richard.