NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Doyle NY Nat'l

Posted By: dan mckee

Now how many of you knew Ole Charlie had this Doyle?? I did as he has had it for years. There are many old timers sitting on tons of treasures that you cannot even begin to imagine what is out there!

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/blog/index.php

Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

This isn't meant to pick on PSA or REA, but I found this part of the auction description of the card to be interesting (bold face is mine):

"The accuracy of the PSA Population report is remarkable for a data base recording the populations by grade of over ten million cards. We use it all the time and believe it is almost perfect."

Almost perfect? Hmmmm.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

No need to worry about the million dollars:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1216693138/PSA+Label+on+T206+Doyle

Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ChiSoxFan

Would be interesting to see how many of the "nine" are legit. I just searched the PSA set registry and of all the "public" sets, only 3 had one. Of those 3, 2 had "contact info". So, sent them both an email about the $1m challenge.

ChiSoxFan

Looking for T206 Sweet Caporal Fact. #30 White Sox in Poor to Fair condition.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

DAN McKEE

I've known Charlie Conlon since the early '80s....and, I did know that he was one of only 6 collectors in recent times
that own a T206 Joe Doyle error card.

For a while, Charlie and Larry Fritsch were the only known collectors in the hobby that had this extremely rare card.

And, unknown to many (until recently) is the Joe Doyle error card in Senator Richard Russell's collection (on display
at the Univ. of Georgia).

There are at least 4 - 6 other "Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l" cards in circulation that are GRADED....and, are FAKES !

My warning to everyone out there is to save the above scan in your computer for future comparison (with respect
to the "Nat'l" lettering and spacing)....And never, never forget that a REAL Joe Doyle error card exists only with the
PIEDMONT 350 back.

T-Rex TED

Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

I wonder how many Larry Fritsch ended up with after buying so many Doyle's?

Any ideas?

Rick

Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Larry Fritsch owned only 2 Doyle's....the one he had, and the one he acquired from Bill Huggins in the mid-80's.
He never got any Doyle error cards from the many responses to his "Doyle Buy" advertising.

TED Z

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Ted - you may know this already but I believe an "on-again" "off-again" poster on this forum has two of them albeit I do not believe either are graded (or perhaps one was). For the sake of privacy, I do not want to publically out who I am referring to but I hope he chimes in on this.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

"There are at least 4 - 6 other "Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l" cards in circulation that are GRADED....and, are FAKES !"

That's remarkable. Who slabbed them? Are they not Piedmont 350 backs and/or is the lettering off? Do their owners know this?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

COREY

I will not in public discuss these....but, trust me they exist.

One of these is not even a PIEDMONT 350 card. And, all of them have suspicious lettering.

And...."frankly, I don't think they give a damn" !

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Ted,

What scares me the most about what you've said are the implications. A number of fake Doyle errors have already been slabbed. Yet to an expert such as yourself they are detectable due to the lettering being off. As I write this I can only imagine who out there is not feverishly working to "perfect" the lettering. It will look perfect, both in shape, spacing and color. And because we're only talking about four letters and an apostrophe, it probably pays to spend the money so the dot matrix pattern and other physical characteristics appear to match as well (at least as examined under the equipment the grading companies have). If this should happen and the market ever gets to the point where it cannot be confident it is looking at a fake or the real thing, regardless how it is slabbed, it will factor in the uncertainty and severely discount the value of all error Doyles, even the real ones. Maybe the only ones that might escape such a markdown would be those whose provenance establishes their existence and slabbling prior to a certain date. But certainly new finds might never be able to escape suspicion.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

You got me Ted, I only know of the 3 fakes I made and had slabbed to prove graders are human. J/K I did hold a real raw one that a good friend of both of ours owns but I am sworn to secrecy.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

It behooves any one, or all of the professional Grading Co. to pool their funds and acquire Charlie Conlon's Joe Doyle error card.
Therefore, they will have a legitimate example to compare with in the future.
And perhaps, rectify their previously Graded cards in circulation that are fakes.

As I see it, these existing Joe Doyle cards that have been graded, and are fakes, occurred simply because there were no valid
Joe Doyle error examples to compare with.

I personally believe that very few (less than 1/2 a dozen) REAL Doyle's will surface in the future. And, I base this on my research
of the initial PIEDMONT 350 release and it's regional distribution.

However, I expect many Doyle fakes to continue to surface.

TED Z

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Several important and frightening points have been brought up in this thread. I am also aware of an example that was encapsulated that has a different back. I thought REA would have the provenance put on this holder. Maybe they still will upon reading this thread. It would be reassuring down the line.
JimB

Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

As Corey stated, the incentive is enormous, and the technical hurdles to overcome are not that great. There may even be old printing plates still in existence that used that typeface. If so, we will start seeing fakes. I'm surprised we haven't seen more already.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

What people are talking about would be a major crime, given the purported value of an authentic Doyle. To pass one off as authentic to someone who knows what they are worth, you'd have to sell it for a lot, which would be a pretty big fraud -- meaning potential jail time if you got caught, and restitution of course.

If it was just about making one on photo shop and then there were no consequences for public distribution, well, then you would see more, I am sure.

edited to add: The reason you see so many fake Ruths and Cobbs and Mantles out there is because the signature is valuable -- but not too valuable because it is also relatively easy to find. You can pass a forgery off for a few hundred dollars and the risk criminal prosecution is not as high. But you try to make tens of thousands and you'll draw the attention of law enforcement.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

A former Board member showed me his raw Doyle error card at the Chantilly show a couple years ago.

Mark

Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I believe there are four Doyles on the PSA registry.
jimB

Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larrie

For a very brief period of time I had one of these Doyle's. It came from a "virgin" collection of 2,700 tobacco and carmel cards put together between 1908 and 1914 and passed from the father (orginal collector) to his children in 1984. I also saw the "raw" Doyle Matt refers to....this time at the recent Fall Chantilly show.