NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Default Leon, A Peter C. Thought

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Leon,

I have a suggestion for how to handle Peter C. since you insist on let me babble on this board.

Why not give Peter a Thread all to himself something like "Peter C.'s Thoughts". and not allow him to start any new threads. This will allow Peter to type and the board and the people that are humored by him be able to read him and those of us (which seems to be growing in numbers with every thread to just plain ignore him since he would be only clogging up one thread of his "thoughts" on the board.

This is not a joke on my part but a serious suggestion since you seem to want to let him rant and there is plenty of discontented people about his posting on this board.

Lee

Edited because I felt like Peter C. for spelling "thought" wrong. I am going into time out for a while.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B D

He purchase banner time?

BcD

Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I've heard lots of people shred Peter C apart. Yup, a lot of those threads are a "curiousity" to say the least. What's really perplexing is that people that really dislike the threads perpetuate the thread by responding and bringing the thread back to the top of the postings. Heck, he's probably one of the more prolific posters we have. Do a lot of the threads belong? Perhaps not, but if you are not a Peter C fan then the best way to deal with it is to ignore the threads when they are seen. I realize that a Peter C post is like a box of chocolates (don't forget the Forrest Gump saying). There are so many people that don't like the threads, but they will open them. This seems to indicate that there may be interest in his threads. It's humorous, to say the least, that people that absolutely HATE/INTENSELY DISLIKE the threads will pop them open and comment on them, knowing that the thread will be back at the top.

Am I a Peter C fan? Lets just say I open the threads because after seeing 50+ posts it gets me curious and I think that there just might be something interesting in there.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind. .... regards

Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Fred, Peter is usually the one who brings his threads back to the top.

And I don't mind Peter's threads as long as he doesn't mind me calling him an idiot when he merits it.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Leon. common to chat boards with variable topic links.

BcD

Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Jeff,

Now you are being just cruel to idiots.

Greg

Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Lee,

What is a "Tought?" It really is pretty easy to poke fun at somebody. That's why I don't worry about it. I'm as bright as they come so it's no big deal to me. When you've gone to a top law school you get use to all the jerks, they are in your class.

To me when somebody makes a joke about me, it reflects more on the poster so I don't respond to most of the jokes. I have better things to do with my life.

My only crime is that I don't know that much about vintage cards. I don't think of that as a crime and I feel that most people would see it my way. For those that are patient with me I appreciate it.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Where I personally host a baseball trivia game once a month, that reminds me of Peter C.

Just like Peter; his mental outline of what he wanted to ask as a question was good; in fact he was amongst the best questioners of the hosts. However, in a 30 question game, you could count on AT LEAST 6 (20 percent) of the questions having to be thrown out because he did properly write down what he was thinking of.

I have given PETER C the same suggestion I gave this host; which is, LOOK at what you write and make sure it makes sense before you send it out. In all honesty, most of Peter's recent threads (except for the ones in which he specifically says O/T) are fairly interesting but they are poorly written and organized.

Peter, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take more time into what you write and specify if you have to. The classic comments about PSA 10's being sold at a discount is your most recent egragious example of having a good thought but not being specific enough. In that case; you can find discounted PSA 10's; but they are sure not pre-1978 and definately not pre-War. If you had said that cards from the overproduced era (1987-94) are available at a discount; then that would have made sense.

So, please think, read your comment before sending and TAKE YOUR TIME before posting.

You are no dummy Peter; however; your enthusiasm many times gets the best of you.

So, personally, I encourage to keep posting IF you promise to take your time and make sure your comment makes sense not just to you but to someone else who may be reading that comment.

Regards
Rich

Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Rich,

I really appreciate your constructive criticism as well as comments I've received from Barry and others.

I do think that people are blaming me because my threads are not very scholarly and they think the nature of this Board is changing. However, I do think it is unfair to pin that on me.

It is not my imagination but I know of individuals and lurkers that are afraid to post on any topic because they feel that people might jump on them. As a matter of fact I've seen many posters preface their posts with "this may be a dumb comment, but..."

I simply do not like the feel of that and I hope that people do not hesitate to post about prewar cards. But also, it would help if people restrain themselves from over-zealous criticism.

You have the right approach, assume that people are not trying to purposely side-track the Board.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Peter,

Stop trying to make yourself out to be a message board revolutionary.

James

Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris bland

Typical Peter C - Make a couple asinine posts then assume the role of the unfairly abused innocent newbie...

Old 12-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

By my count PC has 4982 posts in the short time he's been here...so that newbie shctick don't fly anymore. I've been ignoring his threads and refuse the attention he seeks as that's seemingly what he's after anyways...but I'm beginning to see him in threads I'm interested in with his inane comments. It's amazing how he can also hijacks and sidetracks his own threads with his pointless personal banter that's better served with direct emails.

It's very odd that he trolls here seeking attention from a bunch of vintage card-collecting nerds (sorry if i offend anyone!). he's in his own little world fighting some imaginary war against the "establishment"??? he obviously doesn't heed the advice from some of the nicest people on the board and he's not going to change. i don't want to see a poll about banning him as that would give him the ultimate matyrdom satisfaction in his sick head, so leon can deal with him as he wishes.

i'll go back to my "ignore PC" mode and hope he goes away eventually. he must be loving the fact there are 3 threads running about him.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quan,

Please ignore me, I'm in favor of that idea. Just like that thread about the baseball card store and the internet connection, it had no business going almost 200 posts.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Peter, you're an idiot. Is that "over-zealous"?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Jeff,
Please idiot now thats a little mild. Now Horses Ass that puts it in the right light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Jeff L.,

Not at all. I expect that from you. It doesn't faze me a bit. Unfortunately that is the type of comment that makes others think twice before posting.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Since a decent number of people have such a problem with Peter C., a good idea might be to actually just EMAIL Leon instead of starting a thread about Peter. I know, I'll stop with the logic now.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have gotten more emails about Peter C (hi Peter) than I care to think about. It's a conundrum...that's for sure.....I don't think the posting is that big of an issue....Too many other things to worry about....plus, as I have mentioned before, I don't think he harms anyone. The board would be a little more quiet without him, is all. Just not that big of a deal in my book.....regards

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

No worries. Just keep spanking Peter C even though he appears to like it. At some point he has to get sick of this and move on. As much as I would love to ignore him, I admit I am not able.

UFC is on. Gotta run.

Greg

Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Peter, you've twisted your mind into thinking that somehow you are standing up for the 'little man' on this site. You're not. Truthfully, the only people who are doing any standing up for anyone are the few (and it is dwindling) who do so for you out of pity -- a trait that a 50 something year old guy should not be seeking to engender. You consistently agree that your posts are idiotic and now you seem to be claiming that you post your idiocty in an effort to stand up for posters who are somehow disenfranchised? Dude, you make no sense. You are fantasizing about being something that you are not, namely, some sort of David against society's Goliaths. I don't begrudge your existence here I simply have never encountered someone so obviously brain dead.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Maybe I should stay up... This thread may get interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz7gajAb2ww

Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

I enjoy his threads. The people that attack him are amusing. They need to realize this is just a message board. God for bid if this is raising your blood pressure you have your own issues going on within yourself. Maybe get out of your chair go exercise instead of taking it out on Peter C. Long Live Peter C!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Josh,

That's exactly right. If you guys were logical, you would say that I don't know beans about vintage cards and take everything I say with a grain of salt. Instead of having a higher standard for my posts, it's more realistic to have a lower standard. Lighten up people it's only baseball cards.

Lee starts a thread like this and people jump on me for telling my side of the story. You may not want to hear my side of my story but I guarantee you that a lot of people do not want to take the chance that somebody would call them an idiot. Barry S. said himself that he would be mortified if somebody made him the butt of jokes. I think it's unfortunate...but that is why many people just lurk. It's amazing that people feel free to hurl abuse, but are horrified if anybody actually argues back.

I'm not trying to be anybody's champion, I'm just trying to make sure you understand what the newby and the lurker is thinking.

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Peter,

You are so damn predictable, someone says something you seem to be in favor of and you have to respond and thank them. It is nice to see that you have expanded into the misspelling tactics and start using the "class war" arguement.

I and many come to this board to read about VINTAGE BASEBALL CARDS not to read some random babbling that a trying to get attention throws up on the board.

2 years ago this would have never carried on to the idiocy it has become. It is a shame, I would take our old time arguements over this crap at least the people bickering actually have knowledge on the intended subject of this board.

Lee

Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

can you list the results of the fights?
was out with the misses for our 23rd anniversary dinner.

BcD

Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Happy Anniversary to you two.

Well so far Peter C has not won and should go winless here.

Oh did you mean the UFC? So far it has only been Welterweight contestants from The UFC 6 reality show. There were some good fights too. Huerta and Guida will be the last to fight and it should be GREAT. Not too late to put on Spike TV...unless you are still "celebrating."

Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Lazar

I am not too sure who this Peter Chao is, but it seems like he should change his name to Peter Chaos from all of the ruckus that he has created. I like to know the professions of some of the collectors (excluding the obvious dealers), I have found that some are even college professors but what confuses me is Pete's claim

"It really is pretty easy to poke fun at somebody. That's why I don't worry about it. I'm as bright as they come so it's no big deal to me. When you've gone to a top law school you get use to all the jerks, they are in your class."

So Pete you graduated from a top law school and seem to put yourself as the nice guy, having to deal with jerks. It just seems like you are jerking some long time members around, and technically you are in their class. If people are right about how long you have been a member then you can't be too bright, otherwise you still wouldn't be a newb.

It might now be such a good idea for a "top law school graduate" to be picking and losing fights, especially written fights that should be easy for you.

All in all, it seems more plausible that you are an ambulance chaser.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- whatever your motives for posting, and whatever fun you have doing so, you really have become this gigantic distraction. Too much board time and space is used discussing Peter C., and the fact that you've garnered all this attention suggests to me something is awry.

I don't know what the answer is, but I woke up this morning to see Lee B. blew a few circuits last night, there's another long thread about your behavior, and you keep defending it. However you personally take all these slings and arrows, this is all not good for the board.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

pchaos says.... "people are blaming me because my threads are not very scholarly and they think the nature of this Board is changing. However, I do think it is unfair to pin that on me.

It is not my imagination but I know of individuals and lurkers that are afraid to post on any topic because they feel that people might jump on them."

peter no one blames you for asking any questions relating to vintage cards. if you ask a question on them,problem is you don't.
this is a vintage pre war card board, you have a tough time with this concept.the "nature" of this board is vintage pre war cards. it is not changing!
it is your imagination that lurkers are afraid to post.
they do all the time and their questions are answered.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator

And furthermore, Peter, who on earth told you that you were bright? Your mother?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Peter wrote,

"Lee starts a thread like this and people jump on me for telling my side of the story. You may not want to hear my side of my story but I guarantee you that a lot of people do not want to take the chance that somebody would call them an idiot. Barry S. said himself that he would be mortified if somebody made him the butt of jokes. I think it's unfortunate...but that is why many people just lurk."

Dear Peter,

Please refrain from making preconceived notions on why people "just lurk". That arguement is really tiresome and is about as valid as a Barry Bonds sound bite.

I would assume that most who visit this site are fairly rational adults, and, as adults, are mature enough to feel when it is appropriate to contribute to a conversation. You may find this hard to believe, but there are a lot of us out there who don't just talk for the sake of talking, but will do so when they have something of merit to add, usually when it helps another out.

It's apparent that we all don't share in this same philosophy, so please don't talk for those of us that chime in only once in a while. Based on your history here, you are certainly not the spokesman for those of us who don't find it necessary to rant on every little topic, particularly when they may be ignorant of the subject in hand.

That being said, I'll refrain from commenting on what I really feel about all of this. To be honest, I have a degree in Periodontology and not Psychology and I don't feel it's appropriate to comment on how others, including yourself, feel. I do find it pretty sad that all of this has become what it has. You, as an individual, have become your own thread, just like Ty Cobb and Cy Young. I don't know if that's good or bad for you, but I have a gut feeling it's the former.

Personally, I have begun to a lot of amusement out of your posts and the responses they receive, but I guess that's the immature kid in me that still collects baseball and beer junk. I'll just leave it at that and wish you well.

Be happy, but always remember it's your own fault if you don't wear a helmet if you ride a motorcycle.

Greg

edited for grammar

Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Greg,

What you say about people being rational adults is true, but that is part of the reason people don't post, they don't want to be jumped on.

It isn't my imagination, I've received e-mail from board members and I have spoken to some.

In one post Jim Crandell openly said that he's glad I'm around because it helps deflect some of the flak he recieves. It truly seems like there are some Board members that aren't happy unless they have somebody to jump on.

Look at the series of threads Lee has started. If he didn't have me to poke fun at he would find another Board member. It's not true that all that lurk are afraid. But to some lurkers and newbys the reason they don't post is that it exposes them to potential ridicule.

Peter C.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Peter,

There truly isn't a thing I can say that will get through to you. You are incapable of taking advice, no matter how subtle or sincere, it may be.

Your history proves you wouldn't give a rat's rear end about listening to recommendations anyway. That being said, I have a problem talking to concrete walls so I will discontinue any further comment.

You have all the right to keep posting your remarks as you see fit, but you deserve all the feedback you get in my opinion.

Quite frankly, I think you're nuts. But tis' the season for fruitcake so go for it.

Greg

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Peter, you must be some successful litigator considering the care and intelligence that are put into your arguments.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

This is gross. Really, it is.

I have not been keeping up or posting nearly as much lately for variety of reasons (busy, finals, traveling, etc), but a big one has been the whole Peter C thing.

It's not as simple as "well then don't read his posts". Really? Well then can I post about my upcoming trip next year that I'm so excited about? Just don't open it, you know. And my job really sucks sometimes. Maybe I'd like to post about that. If it bothers you, just move on. Is it exactly the same thing? Of course not, but it is directly on point as to telling people to simply not read posts that they don't like. It's not that simple, and whether they are read or not having the board cluttered with inane posts detracts from the focus and is irritating.

More important than that point, though, is the fact that I am and was getting so freaking irritated with people that say just don't open his posts, or otherwise defended him in other ways - people that I like and respect and have had great interractions with here in the past.

To me, that is Peter's real damage - that is seems clear that he is divisive to the board itself as people are now picking AT EACH OTHER over this one poster that refuses to listen and wears his inanity and controversial status as some kind of twisted badge of populist honor. While we fight with each other over him. That's really kind of sickening.

Also, as I got so po'd at the people who defend him or even respond substantively to his posts (yes, it was getting that bad) I realized that this is not healthy for me. It's definitely not good for the board, but also a sign that I'm too invested in it or some dang thing. I don't even know, but I did make a conscious decision to back off from the board and from having to deal with seeing Peter's stupid posts and the collateral arguments that inevitably followed.

As to this thread, it makes it clear to me that I am on the right track by backing off the board a bit. Peter insists on behaving this way, and it seems pretty clear that it will continue. Because I can't resist ... here you go Peter:

"To me when somebody makes a joke about me, it reflects more on the poster so I don't respond to most of the jokes."

- Wrong. I have seen intelligent and nice and respectful people pushing back on Peter and making jokes. Not about anyone else - just Peter. So I think it's not just a reflection on the person making the joke.

"My only crime is that I don't know that much about vintage cards."

- Unbelievably wrong, and stunning to me that you would think so Peter. There are many posters - including me - that don't know a whole lot about vintage cards. Your "crime" is disrupting this community, and you don't even see it. Pathetic.

"Jeff L.,

Not at all. I expect that from you. It doesn't faze me a bit. Unfortunately that is the type of comment that makes others think twice before posting."

- Wrong. Anyone that reads this board - whether posting or not - probably has a crystal clear idea about why you get these comments, and probably understands that they will not get similar comments unless they post ... similary.

"I'm not trying to be anybody's champion, I'm just trying to make sure you understand what the newby and the lurker is thinking."

- Peter, please describe the miracle by which you know what the newbie and lurker are thinking. Because I tend to think you don't actually know. Just more of your revolutionary keystone kop power to the people delusion.

"Look at the series of threads Lee has started. If he didn't have me to poke fun at he would find another Board member."

- Wrongo again! Lee has been around forever, and as best I can tell has never maliciously poked fun at a single person. Not one. Ever. At least not that I can think of. So it is completely untrue to think that if not for Peter he would poke fun at someone else. No, Peter, this is specifically because of you and your behavior, not because Lee just casts about for someone to harass.

This is just plain nuts.

Joann

Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Joann summed up the dilemma well, and what I find unnerving is that Peter's behavior is to me unfathomable. If someone asked me what his antics are all about, I would be unable to explain them. I can't even imagine someone reacting the way he does to the comments of generally very intelligent people. He asks for guidance but ignores it completely.

He received a well deserved time out.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Peter,

That was said tongue in cheek. I echo the feelings of others here.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Well..I guess you can't do much when you give a man a shovel to dig himself out but instead uses it to pour more dirt on himself...

Often we see people who view things from a different prespective and that is often good and refreshing as long as it has some logic and substance...and enhances the status quo, but I didn't see it in this case... Peter C never bother me to the degree of others, but his presence has made it less enjoyable place to visit...maybe this timeout will finally be a help to him to see the error of his ways..

My advice to Peter C: (not being mean to ya..just a little friendly nudge )..next time you are allowed to post, just "keep it simple...stupid" that is post questions and/or pictures about PRE war cards...

As for Lee...hope he is allowed back soon from his corner of the room...his posts made me laugh..but I can see Leon's point of maintaining the integrity of the board.

Now I hope Leon can peacefully enjoy the rest of his weekend with his family!

Ricky

Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Hey, Pete. For what it's worth I thought your posts on this thread were well put and made some legitimate points.