NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Default SGC sister company grades vintage photos

Posted By: warshawlaw

I saw a couple of these on ebay yesterday. Apparently CCG (the comic grading wing) is authenticating and grading vintage photos. Their web site doesn't mention it but the product is out there.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have bought several of these graded photos off ebay, and in each instance I cut the holder open to get the photo out. The service is useless because they do not differentiate between first generation and later copies of the photos. SO, as long as the photo is somewhat old, it will get graded. I bought a Knute Rockne photo in uniform as a player and after receiving it I quickly discovered it was a 1940's era photo and not from the original publishing date. Nice idea, but they need to state the type of photo and approx age on them.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

WHO would THINK about grading photos without taking into account--whether they're original or not? How old the print is?

Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've seen this around for a while. A saw a number of photos labelled as original that clearly were not. For example, a Jack Johnson in the ring photo that was made decades later. All the photos I saw appeared to legitimate press or similar photos, and many were original or otherwise vintage-- so I'm not suggesting they are computer reprints or made in someone's basement. It's just that their own definition of their photos is that they were made from the original negative soon after the image was shot and many of the photos did not fit their their own definition.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

There is only one initial seller of these graded photos, which is JP The Mint. If you look on the CGC web site, there is not mention of a photo grading service. It's my understanding that Jay Parrino was one of 3 people to purchase the Culver Pictures archive, and I guess he thought grading them could enhance their value, even though he makes not mention of the archive in the ads.

I primarily sell photos for a living and can tell you from experience that the grading will have zero impact on the value. So many original photos, while maybe not one of a kind, are seen so infrequently, that condition has very little impact, unless it is badly damaged.

BTW, for the price that many of the photos sell for, I hope his cost is minimal on the grading/encapsulating, because anyone of moderate means would soon be out of business.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

To the extent the grading service would distinguish between a first and second generation print, grading would have some usefulness -- a bit like the usefulness of saying whether a card has been altered or not. With that said, though, unless the grading service has in its employ some photographic superstar, I would be reluctant to give much weight to what the grading company says. More than any other factor, whether the photo is first or second generation will have the biggest bearing on its value. Answering that is not always so clear cut, and I for one would be more comfortable getting an opinion from an INDIVIDUAL recognized as an authority in that area, as opposed to from a grading COMPANY.

Other than opining whether the photo is first or second generation, anything else the grading company would say in my view is worthless. It is just too subjective an area to set grading standards. I for one put tremendous stock in photo contrast and resolution, and to that end am very tolerant of abuse to the mount. Others might prefer a better mount with a somewhat lighter photo. There is no right or wrong and it is nonsensical to assign a photo a numerical grade when there is such a broad range of opinion as to the condition criteria.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

In my opinion, Leland's has some fine baseball photos in their first section.