NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Robert Williams

Default No more SGC subs....

SGC said I can no longer use USPS to ship back the cards....and guys, I REFUSE to use FedEx....I have heard too many horror stories about how they treat collectibles and all the porch pirates stealing their packages. I refuse. So this most recent sub will be the last one for them.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:42 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Interesting that you’ve had problems with the pirates. Usually my shipments coming from the grading shop requires an adult signature. But maybe that’s only a feature on some shipments. And maybe not on SGC’s shipments?

Obviously if the shipper doesn’t handle your package well, then no amount of signature required will make up for that feature.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 07-06-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Interesting that you’ve had problems with the pirates. Usually my shipments coming from the grading shop requires an adult signature. But maybe that’s only a feature on some shipments. And maybe not on SGC’s shipments?

Obviously if the shipper doesn’t handle your package well, then no amount of signature required will make up for that feature.
I would bet anything SGC requires a signature or they would upon request.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would bet anything SGC requires a signature or they would upon request.
I'm never home when those guys deliver. And it is a major inconveince for me to go to their office to pick up packages. With USPS, it is sooooo easy. I go to the PO Box during lunch.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:15 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
SGC said I can no longer use USPS to ship back the cards....and guys, I REFUSE to use FedEx....I have heard too many horror stories about how they treat collectibles and all the porch pirates stealing their packages. I refuse. So this most recent sub will be the last one for them.
Subs are a pain in the ass just to start with - The Grading Company adding additional hoops to jump through on the return = NFL (Not For Long)

Dont blame ya at all -
Old 07-06-2023, 01:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm never home when those guys deliver. And it is a major inconveince for me to go to their office to pick up packages. With USPS, it is sooooo easy. I go to the PO Box during lunch.
Well that's a different reason than the one you gave.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:38 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Well that's a different reason than the one you gave.
LOL! Well Robert loves the dramatic posts. We gotta give him that, no? He could use Fed Ex and do a Hold For Pick Up at any local Fed Ex office and have it require a signature to boot.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
LOL! Well Robert loves the dramatic posts. We gotta give him that, no? He could use Fed Ex and do a Hold For Pick Up at any local Fed Ex office and have it require a signature to boot.
Completely agree.

In my experience it's USPS that I've had bad luck with (too many to count), and FedEx the most luck with. A nearby Walgreens has a FedEx pack and ship inside so that is even more convenient. Neither are inconvenient to pickup, but I'm usually home and don't miss the deliveries.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:06 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Can your local Post Office accommodate FedEx and UPS shipments? Maybe my local Post Office is unique, but I have a PO Box which is also tied to a physical street address for situations like this.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:35 PM
Tim Odeen

I think since Bobby takes on a buttload of inconvenience to run these group subs that is okay for him to cut out the shipping companies that irk him.

I also support USPS. Before I moved, my local FedEx hub was 90 minutes away. I hated using FedEx.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-06-2023, 03:38 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Fed ex sucks but their hold at location program isn’t bad. You can have it held at a Walgreens which is open early/late for no cost.

Last edited by notfast; 07-06-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:46 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I think since Bobby takes on a buttload of inconvenience to run these group subs that is okay for him to cut out the shipping companies that irk him.

I also support USPS. Before I moved, my local FedEx hub was 90 minutes away. I hated using FedEx.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
I completely agree. I appreciate all the group subs he has done for us and, if it is inconvenient for him, he has my support.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:22 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Your call, Bobby. You the guy dealing with everything.

Living in a small podunk town with all three delivery services, the one common theme here is bad weather, not porch pirates, traffic and burned out staff. In a place where there is zero shopping, everything from pet supplies to clothes to...yup, baseball cards, are moved by shipping orgs. Best service: USPS, where the only local shipper is the P O. The other players are a pain and not helpful, so we use a drop n ship store. Never had a problem at all, so my opinion does not apply to the City.

More power to you, Bobby.

And, of course, most say PSA commands top dollar...
...whatever I want
Old 07-06-2023, 06:20 PM
John Hanssen

USPS will is implementing a you must have insurance on your package program stating next week.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:29 PM
Robert Williams

I'm sorry for the rant guys....where I come from, the customer is always right....well...not always....but if you have a guy whose only stipulation is that his packages get sent back USPS, why on earth would you not try to accomodate him??????? Seems like a no brainer to me.....especially when our group is spending thousands of dollars per pop.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:45 PM
d.ean

Quote:
I'm sorry for the rant guys....where I come from, the customer is always right....well...not always....but if you have a guy whose only stipulation is that his packages get sent back USPS, why on earth would you not try to accomodate him??????? Seems like a no brainer to me.....especially when our group is spending thousands of dollars per pop.
Bobby, I don't care if you ship via pack mule out of New Mexico. You are willingly offering the sub-service of which, I for one am very appreciative. Be as dramatic as you wish!
Old 07-06-2023, 08:55 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
USPS will is implementing a you must have insurance on your package program stating next week.
Here is the information on the new pricing:

WASHINGTON−Changes are coming to your mail in July, as new U.S. Postal Service pricing takes effect early in the month.
Costs will go up by 5 cents to mail a first-class, international letter and by 3 cents on multiple items, as USPS tries to offset inflation and bring in "much needed revenue," according to the agency.
This month will mark the fourth price increase in two years on Forever Stamps, which have increased from 55 cents in 2021 to 66 cents on July 9.
Other costs could also go down with the new USPS Ground Advantage plan.
All the changes will begin Sunday, July 9. Here's what you need to know:
USPS costs going up on stamps, letters, postcards
• Forever Stamps will increase from 63 cents to 66 cents
• A 1-ounce letter will increase from 63 cents to 66 cents
• A 1-ounce metered letter will increase from 60 cents to 63 cents
• Domestic postcards will increase from 48 cents to 51 cents
• A 1-ounce letter mailed to another country will increase from $1.45 to $1.50
• Postcards mailed to another country will increase from $1.45 to $1.50
USPS costs going down with Ground Advantage program
The Postal Service's new Ground Advantage plan starts Sunday, July 9 and will replace previous plans, such as Ground Returns, Retail Ground, First-Class Package, Parcel Select Ground and First Class Package Return. Here's what the changes mean for you:
• Free package pickup service at homes or offices
• Tracking is included
• $100 insurance included, with $5,000 more available to purchase
• Packages ship in 2 to 5 business days
• More than 3% cheaper for retail customers and about 1% cheaper on commercial prices

Our prices to mail are still less expensive than most other countries. My wife and I were in Vienna last week. Österreiche Post (Austrian postal service) charged €7.90 for 4 postcard stamps. At the current wholesale conversion rate of €1 = $1.09 it cost $2.15 to mail a postcard.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-06-2023, 09:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Here is the information on the new pricing:

WASHINGTON−Changes are coming to your mail in July, as new U.S. Postal Service pricing takes effect early in the month.
Costs will go up by 5 cents to mail a first-class, international letter and by 3 cents on multiple items, as USPS tries to offset inflation and bring in "much needed revenue," according to the agency.
This month will mark the fourth price increase in two years on Forever Stamps, which have increased from 55 cents in 2021 to 66 cents on July 9.
Other costs could also go down with the new USPS Ground Advantage plan.
All the changes will begin Sunday, July 9. Here's what you need to know:
USPS costs going up on stamps, letters, postcards
• Forever Stamps will increase from 63 cents to 66 cents
• A 1-ounce letter will increase from 63 cents to 66 cents
• A 1-ounce metered letter will increase from 60 cents to 63 cents
• Domestic postcards will increase from 48 cents to 51 cents
• A 1-ounce letter mailed to another country will increase from $1.45 to $1.50
• Postcards mailed to another country will increase from $1.45 to $1.50
USPS costs going down with Ground Advantage program
The Postal Service's new Ground Advantage plan starts Sunday, July 9 and will replace previous plans, such as Ground Returns, Retail Ground, First-Class Package, Parcel Select Ground and First Class Package Return. Here's what the changes mean for you:
• Free package pickup service at homes or offices
• Tracking is included
• $100 insurance included, with $5,000 more available to purchase
• Packages ship in 2 to 5 business days
• More than 3% cheaper for retail customers and about 1% cheaper on commercial prices

Our prices to mail are still less expensive than most other countries. My wife and I were in Vienna last week. Österreiche Post (Austrian postal service) charged €7.90 for 4 postcard stamps. At the current wholesale conversion rate of €1 = $1.09 it cost $2.15 to mail a postcard.
Great info, thanks for posting. The one sentence missing is: "as part of our price increases you can now opt out of receiving junk mail in your mailbox".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-06-2023, 09:30 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Great info, thanks for posting. The one sentence missing is: "as part of our price increases you can now opt out of receiving junk mail in your mailbox".
A pity they won’t give us that option. Sadly, among other things, it would kill their business model and necessitate much larger price increases.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 07-06-2023, 09:44 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
A pity they won’t give us that option. Sadly, among other things, it would kill their business model and necessitate much larger price increases.
USPS dirty little secret, kind flys in the face of all the current administrations "green initiatives ".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-06-2023, 10:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have the fed ex app on my phone. I redirect all packages to be picked up at my local Walgreens. They hold for five days. I pick up at my convenience and sign for it. No charge.
Problem solved. Have probably done 150 times without an issue.
Great service. Piece of mind when you are traveling.
UPS provides same service. You can redirect to the nearest UPS Store and pick up. But they have a charge. $4.95 I think.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-06-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:46 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
What we call junk mail they designate as 'Bulk Business Mail' and it generates a lot of income for them even at the lower rates they are afforded for this service.

I am glad I have at least 10 coils (1000 stamps) of forever stamps that I purchased for 60¢ or less from USPS, not the counterfeit ones being sold on ebay.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-06-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I have the fed ex app on my phone. I redirect all packages to be picked up at my local Walgreens. They hold for five days. I pick up at my convenience and sign for it. No charge.
Problem solved. Have probably done 150 times without an issue.
Great service. Piece of mind when you are traveling.
UPS provides same service. You can redirect to the nearest UPS Store and pick up. But they have a charge. $4.95 I think.
$8.95. I had to do that once on a UPS package.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
$8.95. I had to do that once on a UPS package.
And a few times UPS disregarded my instructions. Has been seamless with Fed Ex.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:04 AM

Default Alert Alert.

[QUOTE

I am glad I have at least 10 coils (1000 stamps) of forever stamps that I purchased for 60¢ or less from USPS, not the counterfeit ones being sold on ebay.[/QUOTE]

..Are all the grading companies aware of the counterfeit stamps ? They know about baseball cards . Well , some of them do . Well , sometimes some of them do.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:33 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
[QUOTE

I am glad I have at least 10 coils (1000 stamps) of forever stamps that I purchased for 60¢ or less from USPS, not the counterfeit ones being sold on ebay.

..Are all the grading companies aware of the counterfeit stamps ? They know about baseball cards . Well , some of them do . Well , sometimes some of them do.

..[/QUOTE]

I still got some of the Ted Williams ones from years ago.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:06 AM
Tom Boblitt

I have a box at a UPS Store which receives USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, any type of shipper and they sign for it from 8am-8pm and are open 7 days a week for me to pick up. It's held secure until I get it so no porch pirates. Not cheap at about $180/year but I can call them and they'll tell me if I have anything which I can't do with the post office. Agree on porch pirates. They should be shot. Good luck whatever you decide. Doing these group subs is a HUGE commitment and everyone should be thankful for that.

Last edited by autograf; 07-07-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:22 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Bobby, the way you weave your “Who wants to join my sub?” threads with your constant complaints about TPGs is truly masterful.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:28 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Bobby, the way you weave your “Who wants to join my sub?” threads with your constant complaints about TPGs is truly masterful.
The new "no more USPS thing - fedex only" was dished out to me AFTER they accepted my order.......come on now........

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-07-2023 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:45 AM
Bill Roberts

Godspeed, Bobby. Thank you for all you do.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
What we call junk mail they designate as 'Bulk Business Mail' and it generates a lot of income for them even at the lower rates they are afforded for this service.

I bought 4 stamps 3+ years ago and have 3 left
Old 07-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I bought 4 stamps 3+ years ago and have 3 left
LOL - Im bitchin about having to go to Post Office to buy 1 stamp cuz the 4 stamps that have lasted me over 2 years now - are all gone