NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default Todays Card Show Report (1 of 2)

Just returned from our local monthly card show, and thought I would share what I picked up. This message includes more common items. Message #2 will include some rare (I think) Phillies items. I did not keep perfect track of what everything cost, but I do know that I walked into the show with $485 and I walked out with $325 so I spent $160 which includes what I spent on the Phillies items.
First up dealer had a dollar box and I picked up a total of 15 cards, these pictured plus seven other 1960 Hi numbers. Dealer sold me all 15 cards for $10. Are you kidding me .66c for a high number Ed Mathews? OK the 1960 Bob Gibson has more creases than I do, but .66c? All duplicates OBC trading material.

$3 1963 Topps Buc Blasters duplicate

1965 Topps "tall-boy" George Blanda SP (TOUGH CARD) cost me $17 it's a duplicate and avail to trade. 1965 Topps "tall-boy" Ben Davidson SP RC (TOUGH CARD) $13 it's a duplicate and avail to trade. Now a couple cards I actually need 1963 Fleer football Nick Buoniconti RC was $20 and a $1 1961 Nu-Cards Horror Monster for my set I'm putting together.

I picked up four "pairs" 1978 Topps cards that are not cut in half. Cost me $5 total does anyone know anything about these? Four total cards I have two with Seaver, not three. I might keep one, but I'll swap the others.

Five Hostess "panels" $5 and a 1962 Topps stamp combo $1. I don't collect Hostess cards so these are up for trade.

Last purchase was a stack of decals that Fleer included with their 1960 1961 and 1962 baseball cards. The blue decals are from 1960 and the white ones are from 1961-62. I paid $10 total for nine of the blue ones and twenty of the white ones which I think is a great deal! 16 different from '61-'62 there is only 18 different in the set! Contact me if you have duplicates to trade!

If I added right, that's $75, meaning I spent $85 on the (rare?) Phillies items I will share in the next post. It will probably take an hour or so to get the next message up.
Larry
Old 07-02-2016, 02:49 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Great recap, Larry! Those decals look incredible!
Old 07-02-2016, 03:02 PM
David

Great pick ups for the price!
Old 07-02-2016, 03:39 PM
M!chael

Very nice. This was the Jax show, right? I was at the show today too. Don't have pictures (already bindered them) but I picked up 12 commons from 1956 for my ungraded set. Very tempted by the Seaver rookie in the corner but left without it. Looking forward to part 2 of your recap.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 PM

The 1978 ( actually they are 1979) combo cards I believe came from Dynamite magazine and ran for several years .The earliest I remember was 1977 and ran through I think 1981. I still have three or four of the full magazines with cards still intact . Brett
Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for the info Brett, I think you might be right about these (1979s) being cut from Dynamite magazine.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett 75 View Post
The 1978 ( actually they are 1979) combo cards I believe came from Dynamite magazine and ran for several years .The earliest I remember was 1977 and ran through I think 1981. I still have three or four of the full magazines with cards still intact . Brett
Old 07-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Those are indeed 79's and not 78's, but they are not Dynamite cards. Those players were never in the Dynamite inserts.

They are hand cut from Topps promo sheets. Here's an example and the explanation why you have two bell/seaver pairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 799card.jpg (70.5 KB, 166 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-03-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:47 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Jacksonville card show

Larry,

If that was the Jacksonville FL show I was there as well. I pretty much collect Brooks Robinson and Orioles memorabilia, but just go to view the cards and some of the items there. Always have a good time while I'm there. I'll always have some type of Orioles hat and usually an Oriole shirt; think this time had a Camaro shirt on.

One of the dealers segregated some modern Brooks cards for me, which I really don't actively collect, but it was a nice gesture since he knows I like Brooks. I also picked up a few supplies an the rest of the time talked to the dealers and viewed their merchandise.

Look forward to part 2...
Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Love the Buoniconti RC, that's one I still need for my Pats HOF RC collection. Also like the Blanda and the hostess panels
Old 07-04-2016, 05:33 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for the info on the '79 Topps cards Justin!

Mark: In Jacksonville, we are lucky to not only have an old school "brick and mortar" card shop, but a monthly 50 table (and growing) show! Looks like there are at least two of us "Net54ers" that attend the show, plus Brent out of Savannah sometimes sets up as a seller. I'll wear one of my Net54 t-shirts next month so you can say hi!

Larry
Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Jacksonville card show

Larry,

It does seem like the Jacksonville card show is growing. I've been to the one at the Ramada twice and in my view is a pretty good location. Seems like pretty good traffic through the show as well. Also, it's not too far away from where I live. The Commonwealth show is a bit of travel so this one is a hit and miss with me.

I do pick up some of my supplies at JSC just to support the shop. It's difficult when you collect one player and Orioles memorabilia to pick up anything at a card shop and/or a show, but I do enjoy looking. Now if I could afford to collect more stuff I sure would.

I'll look forward to meeting!