NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Default Hi end GAI 8 cobb

Is there any chance sgc will grade this? It looks good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Old 08-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

I guess you have to ask yourself why the seller is willing to sell for half the SMR value.

Early GAI was pretty good, but I would guess the seller already has tried.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Brad Pencil

I've cracked and crossed GAI to both PSA and SGC and have gotten either the same grade or higher grades than what GAI had it in. It is a gamble but no more so I think than going from SGC to PSA or vice-versa. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

We've discussed a couple of high end post war GAI graded cards recently in the post war forum. There's always a chance it could cross, but the consensus is that there's a reason it's still in a GAI holder.

If I had that card and was trying to sell it, I would have sent it to PSA first, and then to SGC to cross to maximize the selling price. I have to assume the seller either did this, or already knows someone has tried and failed. But you never know.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless the seller could at least guarantee the card would come back authentic and unaltered if sent to another TPG.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As a general rule, there is a reason higher end cards are in GAI holders. That is not the same reason as most PSA or SGC cards.

That left edge is kind of uneven, from the scan.....
Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Jer.em.ey

If it were submitted to PSA or SGC, do you have to crack the card out of it's current case prior to submission or do you send it as is? I do not have a set/card registry so I've never had the need to cross (yet). Sorry to derail if this qualifies as off topic.
Successful BST purchases: npa589, RedlegsFan, Wildfireschulte, AndyG09, Vintageismygame, Ben_Yourg, pencil1974, Leon, bnorth, LuckyLarry, loubrown, cardsnstuff, brianp-beme, gooseman91, ricktmd, and bcookie.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

It can be done either way. Each has its upside and downside.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn0013 View Post
If it were submitted to PSA or SGC, do you have to crack the card out of it's current case prior to submission or do you send it as is? I do not have a set/card registry so I've never had the need to cross (yet). Sorry to derail if this qualifies as off topic.
You don't have to crack it out to submit to another company. You can request a minimum grade, and if it doesn't meet that minimum they will return it to you in the same holder.

Your chance of crossing or improving the grade improves if you crack it out first, but obviously there's more risk with this approach.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:09 PM

I offered the seller to have him send it to sgc on my fedex account. I would pt to have sgc look at it, and if it crossed, I would pay him. If not, then I would pay to have it sent back to him

Guess what he said?
Old 08-30-2015, 02:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I offered the seller to have him send it to sgc on my fedex account. I would pt to have sgc look at it, and if it crossed, I would pay him. If not, then I would pay to have it sent back to him

Guess what he said?
Something along the lines of "no thanks" sounds about right.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Brendan Mullen

Gorgeous card but that bottom border is a little funky. Especially down on the middle/right.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Not enough of a chance to risk $12,250. In my opinion based on that photo, that card would merit an 8 grade from PSA and/or SGC. The only reason it wouldn't grade out is if it was slightly trimmed, based on that I'd stay away.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-30-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM
je.sse @rnot

I was curious as well, so I asked the seller if we reach an agreement can I return the card in the same GAI holder if PSA determines the card has been altered. This was his response:

"Thanks for your interest...I will sell the card as is. The new owner can do what they wish. Once sold, I accept no returns. I have kept the card in its current holder as I received it and will let it go at the price asked or a decent offer either on or off line"
Old 08-30-2015, 04:19 PM

That's exactly what he said.

For 12k, it's a steal. But if it's trimmed, it's worthless
Old 08-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would bet a lot that he tried to cross it over.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would bet a lot that he tried to cross it over.
This ^^^^^^

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 PM

The thing is that if you buy it through PayPal, you can return it no matter what. That's what I love about "no returns". It's meaningless
Old 08-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The thing is that if you buy it through PayPal, you can return it no matter what. That's what I love about "no returns". It's meaningless
That would be real honest.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

The top left corner looks bat eared to me and the bottom has an odd cropped appearance that may just be the scan quality. Add the GAI holder and it's three strikes for me at that price. Beautiful card even if it is trimmed and would look nice in a 20 slot sheet if the price were right.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I agree with the sentiment that a five-figure card is in a GAI holder for a reason. IMO, the card isn't being offered for half of SMR because the owner feels like giving away money or is a moron. I know many collectors have far bigger bankrolls than I do, but it seems amazing to me that anyone would consider taking a "chance" on crossing a card that expensive.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:

Guess what he said?
The problem with that "offer" is that you might as well have messaged the seller asking him to send you a free 10 grand. That would have eliminated the need to send the card to SGC and served the same purpose as your "offer."

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that a five-figure card is in a GAI holder for a reason. IMO, the card isn't being offered for half of SMR because the owner feels like giving away money or is a moron. I know many collectors have far bigger bankrolls than I do, but it seems amazing to me that anyone would consider taking a "chance" on crossing a card that expensive.
+1....why in your right mind do you think a seller is willing to leave money on the table?? You think he is willing to sell it on a contingency plan so YOU can pocket all the excess money....excuse my French, but GET F***ING REAL!!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
The problem with that "offer" is that you might as well have messaged the seller asking him to send you a free 10 grand. That would have eliminated the need to send the card to SGC and served the same purpose as your "offer."
Yes....that is what everyone is saying. This case is closed. The litigants for our next case are on their way in now!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 PM
A.J. Johnson

I don't know...early GAI graded cards are legit and since this one is "first graded" it could be all good. The seller could also just need some no hassle cash and realizes he's going to have to sell for less given the GAI holder. It's a lot of $ to gamble but it's so enticing....
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I don't know...early GAI graded cards are legit and since this one is "first graded" it could be all good. The seller could also just need some no hassle cash and realizes he's going to have to sell for less given the GAI holder. It's a lot of $ to gamble but it's so enticing....
There's not much upside potential. It would have to grade a PSA 8 to pay off. Even if not altered an average GAI 8 would cross to a PSA 6 or 7, especially in the holder and not cracked out first. I don't think that card in a PSA 7 is even a 10k card, but I could be wrong about that.

I didn't ask the seller to guarantee it would cross at the same grade, just authentic and unaltered. And he wouldn't even do that.

I think this one would be enticing at 2 or 3k. Not 12k.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's hard to tell anything from such a bad scan. Oddly, it's the only one of his current scans that's got that overexposed look. And his Goudey Ruth that's an SGC 88 scanned just fine.
Hmmmmm..........

Steve B
Old 08-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I was curious as well, so I asked the seller if we reach an agreement can I return the card in the same GAI holder if PSA determines the card has been altered. This was his response:

"Thanks for your interest...I will sell the card as is. The new owner can do what they wish. Once sold, I accept no returns. I have kept the card in its current holder as I received it and will let it go at the price asked or a decent offer either on or off line"
Sounds like the Pete Rose GAI 10 that a guy tried to submit to an auction at this year's National. Unfortunately that card was a counterfeit. Never found out if the person he bought it from at the show refunded him. That is a lot more serious issue than whether the card would cross. That constitutes fraud on somebody's part.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

This card has been listed on ebay for over a year. Guy wont bend not worth it. Only way to cross is crack it and submit. I am just not willing to take a $10k+ chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
This card has been listed on ebay for over a year. Guy wont bend not worth it. Only way to cross is crack it and submit. I am just not willing to take a $10k+ chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
anyway not anxious to sell the cards is just as smart as you in terms of maximizing the value with psa/sgc...he has already thought of it all......it not like a buyer out there is smarter than him to submit to psa on the side.....the only way i can see a 'steal' if the guy had just gotten the card for free or really cheap and had to sell in quick..