NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default First May Pickup Thread

Posted By: David Keller

I actually bought these in April but just received them. It was a good month. While I haven't seen this Rose pinback before, I've seen similar style pins of the Expos from the same period. Welcome any info anyone may have about it. While not in great shape, the Pepsin pin is my first from the set.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

That's a nice Rose. I've got a bunch of those 69's but not that one. Here's one of the tougher knothole buttons. It's got the same Hornsby pose as the St. Louis Browns one - same maker probably at the same time in the 30's. Perry Field was the home of the Indianapolis Indians.
Photobucket

Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

more for my former players who ran for office collection

Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Dave

I have some Billy Rhines signed letters and I REALLY wanted that Cameo Pepsin pin to go with them. I was absolutely shocked when I saw that I got outbid at nearly $400 for a stained pin without the mechanism but it is the only item he has so I totally understand why you would want it. I am just curious though, did you buy it because it was Rhines or because it was a pin?

Nice item and I wish I owned it! In several of the letters I own it refers to him hunting Bears in the Off-Season and he sounds like a character to say the least. I also have 4-5 correspondances and telegrams which secured his sale to the Reds as well. They tried to sell him to Pittsburgh but the owner responded to the $1000 demand with the letter below. Also attached is a letter from Gus Schmelz who eventually got Rhines.

Rhys

Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Keller

Rhys - those are some great letters. Agree I probably paid too much, but I was getting tired of getting out bid on every Pepsin pin. The main focus for my collection is Reds pins. I have about 600 Reds pinbacks and lapel style pins. Obviously the Pepsin ones are one of the toughest sets. That said, if you have something comparable for trade I'd be willing to talk.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

Wubba! That is indeed a very nice letter.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Wubba?

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan B. was sold me this awesome photo. I hope to repay the favor with an equally awesome Nebraska baseball team someday.

Clint

Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Picked up at a local antique mall!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Some pick ups over the past few months - the pace stays slow but fairly steady:

Miss Alta Weiss trade card. She pitched for men's semi-pro teams around 1907. From Rhys and his awesome new site. Wow.

Another from Rhys. I don't know what it is but it's cool as hell. It's a litho of Charlie Bennett of the 19C Detroit team. Calling Joe Gonsowski. Calling Joe Maple. Calling Joe Jones. Any of you guys ever see anything like this or know what it is?

1906 Grand Rapids Minor League team from the Central League. I didn't even know GR had a team during that era, and was thrilled to pick this up. Mr. Dan B says that there may be up to five guys here that eventually went on to play in the majors, including Ed Summers, but I haven't had time to go back and match faces.

Withee Women's team from around 1910. The banner on one player's lap says Withee. Postally unused, but post-1907 as it has the split back.

I think I already posted this one but damn - some things you can't post too many times!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Hello Joann. how thick is this card of Bennett? It looks like maybe cut out from a page or something like that.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Hey Joe!

How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in ages. Hope everything is going well with you.

The litho is about 3" x 4". It is on heavy paper stock like construction paper or 1915 CJ's. It is def hand cut, and almost looks like it may have been stuck to something like a scrap book at one point. Hard to say, but hand cut for sure. Really neat item.

I don't know how old it is, but I'm thinking old. The paper does not fluoresce so at least it's pre-1960. I have to haul out cycleback's book and give myself a refresher on printing method history, and then look at it with a loupe to narrow it down any furhter.

Good to hear from you.

Joann

Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Joann

I thought I had mentioned to you, but maybe forgot, that the person who I bought them Bennett item from removed it himself from a scrapbook and there was a small calendar trde card on the reverse side with an 1889 date as well as other items which absolutely date it to 1889 or earlier. I had thought maybe it was cut from a poster or something but there is no doubt it is from at least 1889.

Rhys

Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Oh heck Rhys. You did say that. Duh. I kind of missed it because it was in the same email in which you were talking about the two versions of the Bain photo where one has the NY Female Giants written in and the other didn't. I went right to that part and missed the part where you explained the Bennett background.

Thx for pointing it out - I'd have completely missed it. Cool. Now I just need to find one with a trade card, eh? hahaaa. It is a really neat item.

Since it was obviously distributed as a card or calendar or schedule, I'm a little surprised I've never seen one before. Bennett was a famous player then. I'm also a little surprised that I haven't seen one with any of the other period players. The litho image is very very similar to the N28 Bennett in pose and style, so I wonder if other players for that series had similar lithos, and if so why they don't come up often.

Thx again.

J

Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Joanne, I watched that Bennett on eBay and would have fought Rhys for it had I not just purchased some outstanding letters (from Rhys) and a Tomlinson Bennett cabinet. It could date from anywhere in the 1880s (1881 - 1888) although the final year, 1888, was played with a striped uniform.

Nice item for the Detroit collector. I regard Bennett as the single most significant Detroit Wolverine due to his solid play every year Detroit was in the League and his extreme popularity with the city.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I'll post here since there is no dedicated REA auction thread.

After losing this item to Dave Bushing at the November 2006 Hunt auction, I was pleased to see it re-surface. It was the only lot of interest to me between Mastro & REA so I was better focused and prepared. Paid more than I was hoping but consider it an honor to care for the Deacon White bat for the foreseeable future. It doesn't get much better than this for a 19th century Detroit collector.

Circa 1886-1888 "DETROIT" bat from Deacon White.

I can now consider myself more than a card collector

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Congrats Joe - that is a grail piece.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

Wonderful piece Joe. Congratulations.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

1886 Kansas City (NL) player.

Rob M.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

That is a great Pete Rose button. Does anyone have any of the Minnesota Twins players available for sale or trade from this series? I am looking for either the small or large size in this series.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

One more hole in the collection plugged

Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt Joy

Just got this in from Jodi (thanks a bunch), wanted a Clemente auto for a long time so happy to finally have one. Came with a nice letter from the orginal owner who got it in spring training 1955.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Scott... That's a great early Clemente!

Do you (or Jodi) know what year he stopped doing that little loop at the bottom of the "C"? It seems this is the much rarer version of his autograph, and that perhaps one out of every ten has this little flourish below the "C".

Very cool... thanks for posting!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Smith

This was is my favorite pickup so far a Geneva robins team photo.They were champions of the border league that year.I live very close to Geneva Ny so it was a great pick up for me.If anyone has any Geneva robins items I would be interested in trading or purchasing them.

Dave S

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

One of the lowest-priced lots from the REA sale, I thought my consolation prize was pretty pathetic until I saw earlier today that the candy container sold for $1035 in 1999 (Halper/Sotheby's)...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Scott,

Glad the Clemente reached you safely and am happy that you are enjoying it as much as I did. It's the earliest one I've ever owned.

Mark,

In response to your query, Clemente used that style of "C" in his early days. However, it should be noted that he would sometimes decide to use it well into the 1960's, but only on the rarest of occasions. In such cases (normally on single-signed balls), you could tell that Clemente was signing the item for somebody who he really liked/respected, as he took great care in crafting his signature to present in the most appealing way possible. There aren't many such examples from the 1960's, but I have seen a small handful. Clemente would also sometimes draw ornate paraphs on either side of his autograph, as well. This variety is absolutely gorgeous and highly coveted by Clemente buffs. It's really sad to view the degeneration of Clemente's signature as demands on his time turned what was once a true work of art into a nearly illegible 45 degree-angled scrawl.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Picked up a neat lot of approximately 20 vintage baseball related lobby cards

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

PhotobucketPhotobucket Wondering if anyone can pin point the time frame of this photo . I am thinking 1905ish . Any info would be cool . THANKS !!!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

Can't get enough of these. The Yanks have the Gehrig kid, Ruth, Pennock, Hoyt and soon to be benched Wally Pipp while the crosstown Ginats have a young Hack Wilson, Frankie Frisch, Stengel, Hugh Jennings, McGraw and Bill Terry. Trainer Parker in a big league uniform.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Picked this up with a BIN on ebay - the seller didn't know it was a baseball team and I only stumbled upon it accidentally as there was no mention of "Baseball" anywhere in the title or body of the auction.

1910 Nebraska State League champs postcard
Fremont

Here is the same team in uniform - I found this postcard at a postcard show recently.

Fremont

Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Picked up this great panoramic photograph of the Madison, Nebraska Giants.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I picked up this beat up cabinet photo recently. It shows a KSNS Football Player who is holding an 1899 trophy football. KSNS was the Keystone State Normal School which later became Kutztown College then University. The neat part about the photo is that the player is ID'd on back as something Salajas of Havana Cuba.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Very excited about this new addition. This coin-op penny arcade game has been on my want list for a while, and a nice example with a very decent price came up on ebay yesterday with a BIN. Luckily seller lived near by me so I saved on shipping and picked it up today. It really exceeded my expectations. It’s larger than I imagined and the sharp colors, 3-D graphics, wooden case and metal lever and coin mechanism are pretty sharp. It has really nice details – even the ping pong balls have stitches painted on them to resemble baseballs. 22”H x 16”W x 6”D.

-Joe
http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Terrific pickup, Joe! I have admired that particular game for a long time as well (ever since I saw one at Cooperstown). Yours is a beauty... very rare to find them that nice! And what a bonus, to find it locally and avoid shipping!

Is it fun to play? I am amazed at how some of these old games are fun, and others are next to impossible to maneuver.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Looks great in your room Joe. Congrats.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks Mark and Mike. It is kind of fun and easy to play. I put in my penny and gave it a whirl. You have to hit the handle pretty hard to get the ball to fly around fast enough to hit a homer – the first couple times I was too tentative and “walked” for fear of breaking the thing. It is built very sturdy though. I wouldn’t play it too much as the balls could wear away at the painted graphics on the inside of the outer glass.