NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default 1940s-'50s gumball machine Charms

Posted By: Fred Y

Here's hoping I can get some player ID verification help from everyone on these little obscure "trinkets" that came out of those penny gumball machines back in the late '40's--early '50's-----and you can have some fun at the same time!

I have 23 of them that I have saved all these yrs & just decide to check them against the SCD incomplete list. There are a few that are uncataloged if my ID's prove correct.

The 1st 2 pics are easy to ID, so I don't need names --it's the 2nd 2 that I THINK I have ID'd, but would surely appreciate your input. At the same time many have probably never seen them, so hope you enjoy!

I'm pretty sure on these below 4, but would like your input--3 I believe are uncataloged:

The 5 below I'm not sure on. I think the 1st 2 are the same guy--the next 3 look the same, but I think 2 are the same player, but the last one is different! I'll be interested in your take on them! I believe all of these are uncataloged.

Here is the listing from SCD Bible: I think I have 6 that will add to the list pending on what you guys think. I will appreciate your ideas.
NOTE: I believe SCD has the size wrong also--All of mine measure 3/4" x 5/8", nowhere near the 1 1/4" even including the loop!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Hi Fred,

I always thought these were neat items.

In your last photo, I believe the 2 at the top are of Hank Greenberg, while the bottom 3 are...Nellie Fox???

I've picked up a few here and there. I like the ones with the round metallic-like rim (kind of look bronzed).

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

<>

Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

In the third photo, top left: Bob Lemon.

Here's mine:

It's pretty common on these to see different croppings of the photos. Here's a Feller that uses the same photo as yours but is cropped differently:

And then here's a different kind of charm that uses the same photo but with a different crop:

Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Mike--

Greenberg is my thought also on those 2 on top of pic 3. As for the bottom 3, I definitely don't believe it's Nellie. I have pegged the 1st 2 as Whitey Lockman and the 3rd, altho very similar, I am thinking it's Bobby Doerr.

David--

Very nice Louis--I have no boxers. Is it the same size as mine--3/4 x 5/8"?

Rob--

I have looked that photo over & over w/ a magnifier and don't believe it's Lemon. At 1st I thought Ewell Blackwell (because he's on the list), but have discounted him also. I do believe now that it is a lefty-- Johnny Schmitz--and it's almost an identical pose to his '51 Bowman:

What do you think??

Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

I agree with Schmitz for the first player in the first photo. I think the last player in the second photo (3x) is Dusty Rhodes. The second charm is Greenburg it looks like but I am not sure if the first one is the same person.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your input!

Glad you think it is Schmitz also--That is a tough one for sure!

As for the top 2 in the last pic--The 2nd one I definitely believe is Greenberg and the 1st one sure looks like the same guy!

As for the last 3--I keep going back & forth as to whether all 3 are the same guy or not--they could be!

I do not believe it is Rhodes however, for 2 reasons: Looking thru my magnifier it doesn't look to be him and 2ndly, because he didn't come up until '52 & wasn't too well known until the WS of '54 I don't think he would have been in this issue, which I have pegged to be from 1947 to about '51 or '52 at the latest.

Any ideas on the others? Hope some other members can offer an opinion!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Willard Marshall. Looks like it could be him.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Once again I went back and looked--and compared some pics of Marshall!!---Definitely a close resemblance!

I have received a couple of EMs and some other input from EBay Board and am now convinced the last 3 are the SAME guy, but not Willard Marshall.

I think I have all 23 pegged, but am hopeful of a few more responses here to form a consensus before I throw them out there!

Thanks again Jeff! Anyone else w/ some ideas to wrap this up?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator

I think the 3x in the picture is Whitey Lockman as was suggested above.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

OK--the 1st 2 pics of 8 & 6 are pretty cut & dried--Here are the names:

Reese, Campy, Furillo
Williams, Rizzuto, Berra
Kiner, Feller

and

Ennis, Pafko, Williams
Campy, Kiner, Musial
__________________________________________________ _______________

For the 3rd & 4th pics I'm going to re-post them so you don't have to scroll. With your help here, help from the EBay Board, a couple of EMs from knowledgeable vintage collectors and my own looking, looking & some research, here are the names we've come up w/ for the last 2 pics:

Johnny Schmitz-Cubs '41-'50 -------------- Mel Parnell-Red Sox '47-'56

Wally Westlake-Pirates '47-'51 ----------- Del Ennis-Phils '46-'56

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Sid Gordon-Giants '41-'49 ------------- Hank Greenberg-Pirates 1947

ALL 3 Whitey Lockman-Giants '45-'56

I would like to forward the final results to SCD for inclusion in the Bible. If the results stand it would mean 6 new uncataloged additions, so I welcome any additional "Yeahs" or "Nays" to these ID's. Thanks to all who helped come up w/ these conclusions--Of couse they are open for final comments!

Fred

PS--I am told that some of these poses are used in the 1947 Homogenized Bond set, which, along w/ the dates these guys played and my distinct knowledge of where & when I bought them lead me to conclude this issue was definitely available in gumball machines from about 1947-48 to about 1951-52 time frame.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

The Dodgers photos were also used in late 1940's team-issued picture packs. Reproductions can be seen in Peter Golenbock's wonderful oral history, "Bums", which I believe came out in 1983.