NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
BW Stewart

Default T206 Cobb

Did y'all see the Cobb that was tore in half and glued back together bring $415?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

and he bid on just 5 auctions in the past 30 days, all in PWCC auctions! . . .

If you do any amount of research you'll find this is very common with PWCC auctions (and maybe other consignment sellers for all I know).

Some people care -- some people don't

Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Jeff

Some people know -- most people don't

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 04-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Pwcc

I will NOT use them again as I don't bid on my consignments.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'd like to hear from the consignors who DO bid on their own consignments.

Surely we have someone on this board who's brazen enough to speak up?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Frank, I don't have a problem with two people putting a high snipe in -- it just seems bizarre that the underbidder only bids on PWCC auctions. And this isn't the first time such a thing has has happened in a PWCC auction. Or the second time. Or the third time.

Edited to add: this is not to say this is the auctioneer's fault -- it could be the consignor.
+1....
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

PWCC posted on CU recently in response to charges of scan manipulation.

"In particular, we are writing in response to baseless claims that we somehow are manipulating our scans. Such accusations are ridiculous and I ask that folks please remain substantive in their accusations of any company (not just PWCC). We are not altering our scans, in fact we go to great length to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible. Obviously, if we were altering images we'd have plenty of upset buyers... right? Aside from the obvious moral objection associated with this level of misrepresentation, the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagging. So even if you don't trust us personally, perhaps you can trust the practical impossibility of such an accusation."

I can't speak to intent, but PWCC's scans do not look realistic to me, they look thermonuclear.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
PWCC posted on CU recently in response to charges of scan manipulation.

"In particular, we are writing in response to baseless claims that we somehow are manipulating our scans. Such accusations are ridiculous and I ask that folks please remain substantive in their accusations of any company (not just PWCC). We are not altering our scans, in fact we go to great length to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible. Obviously, if we were altering images we'd have plenty of upset buyers... right? Aside from the obvious moral objection associated with this level of misrepresentation, the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagging. So even if you don't trust us personally, perhaps you can trust the practical impossibility of such an accusation."

I can't speak to intent, but PWCC's scans do not look realistic to me, they look thermonuclear.
Kind of hard to take a guy seriously who has so many obviously shilled auctions and claims a 'moral' objection to any fraud.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Matt Hall

How the Hell do you "go to great lengths to make images as close to life-like as possible"?????? just do the scan and leave it alone!

Last edited by Matthew H; 04-28-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Love PWCC auctions! Won this one the other night:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140956616869

The underbidder bid $178 more than the bidder below -- and he bid on just 5 auctions in the past 30 days, all in PWCC auctions!
This was my consignment, and I can promise that I did not shill or safety bid this card or have any of my friends do the same. Note that I also consigned this same card but in a different tint in a recent Goodwin auction, and I was also the consignor of the Wajos if this same issue that went in both this one and Goodwin.

Last edited by glchen; 04-28-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, at least we can narrow down the guilty party to the auction house.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Robert Williams

When a PSA 6 sells for as much, if not more than a PSA 8, it is mind boggling to me as well. Just a shred of research and a little common sense will tell you what a fair market price for a particular item is. When the above scenario happens though, it definitely smells fishy to me. This hobby has so many scenarios and sub-scenarios though - it would blow your mind if you knew everything that went on. I blame the almighty dollar....
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

You "blame the almighty dollar?" How about blaming the guy who was responsible for shill bidding?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Robert Williams

For the card that I saw, the shill bid stopped at $33. There were still two other "sensible" bidders who bid it up past the PSA 8 level, totally ignoring the big coke spill stain on the back of the card.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
You "blame the almighty dollar?" How about blaming the guy who was responsible for shill bidding?
And CalvinDog....not to be flippant or anything, but what do you think the shill bidder's motivation is? World peace??
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Bobby, I'm more about blaming the shooter, not the gun. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 04-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Careful Jeffrey you will get yourself banned!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Jim M.arinari

Which is it? Manipulating scans to "to ensure the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible." or "the shear workload associated with having to manipulate scans would be stagg(er)ing."?

Intentional or not, the scans are hot. They sure don't look like factory default settings. And if someones job is ensuring "the images we provide are as close to life-like as humanly possible.", they aren't manipulating them properly.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Jim, you forget to mention the moral issues attendant to such manipulations.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hmmm .... which scan probably looks more like the card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16RHJHcFFkB!wvffBReIl8J(eg~~60_57.jpg (77.8 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16VHJGYFFkg!BzoUBRccM7n91g~~60_57.jpg (64.8 KB, 475 views)

Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I would think the auction house would have a lot more to lose should they win the item themselves and then have to relist it, than they would have to gain from a few extra dollars commission by bidding an item up to $400.

Also, if the auction house were doing the actual shill bidding here, and they have a habit of doing so, wouldn't they have specific accounts that don't have 100% bid activity with PWCC, so that this wouldn't seem like such "obvious" shill bidding?

I am not naive enough to think shill bidding and scan manipulations do not occur with regularity in this hobby. I just feel that now we've learned that the consignor (Gary) did not do the shill bidding on the postcard w/ Ty Cobb, this may just be a case of another collector driving the price up with a snipe.

Last edited by CW; 04-28-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: to add the last paragraph
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Morality tells me the one on the left.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Also, if the auction house were doing the actual shill bidding here, and they have a habit of doing so, wouldn't they have specific accounts that don't have 100% bid activity with PWCC, so that this wouldn't seem like such "obvious" shill bidding?
Not necessarily... if ebay isn't going to do anything about it, why bother trying to make it look less obvious
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I just feel that now we've learned that the consignor (Gary) did not do the shill bidding on the postcard w/ Ty Cobb, this may just be a case of another collector driving the price up with a snipe.
Again, the issue is not with the snipe -- it is with the fact that the underbidder (and many underbidders in PWCC auctions) is only bidding in PWCC auctions.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Bill Mastro's priest says the one on the left too.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I agree with Chuck. It would be hard to believe that AH's would be dumb enough to leave such an obvious trail if they were indeed shilling their own auctions. But then again, "dumber" things have happened.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqEOKjcE5hLSR-OQBOeR00dl!w~~60_12.jpg (31.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16JHJF0FF,Esfq1mBRccNH!Ls!~~60_57.jpg (68.5 KB, 461 views)

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Tony Davis

Default Vcp

I wonder how much VCP has to do with these prices. Now I like VCP, and use it once in awhile. But once, when I was thinking about buying a SGC W511 Babe Ruth card, I checked VCP and the average price was around $300, and the card was going for about this. So I normally don't do this, but I checked the last sale of the card, and guess what - it was being sold by the same exact seller with matching sgc# for $331, which artificially pushed the price up (according to VCP) due to this previous "auction". So I am not sure if someone returned the cards or what, but the data was still registering on VCP, hence the higher price (I don't use VCP currently so I'm not sure what it would have been if this card did not "sell" previously for $300+).

Since then, this same seller has sold 2 more of the same card/different numbers. So if sellers knew how to play the game right, you simply drive up the "sold" price and make sure it registers with VCP, and then after that, the other cards you have in the same grade are worth that much. With out this bump, let's say that the VCP card is only worth $175, then all the rest of these cards will sell around that price since the last one sold was 2006 or so -

Just my two-cent conspiracy theory -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-W511-1-...item589ba08f19

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-W511-1-...item589d73a32e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-W511-Bl...item589ecddd1c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-W511-1-...item53f7c76390
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I agree with Chuck. It would be hard to believe that AH's would be dumb enough to leave such an obvious trail if they were indeed shilling their own auctions. But then again, "dumber" things have happened.
Ask Mastro and Allen about leaving an obvious trail of evidence on their fraud....
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I contacted PWCC who provided me with the underbidder for the Exhibits Cobb auction (which I already sent to Jeff). If anyone else wants the ebay id, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

World record shattered by 50 percent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Topps-S...p2047675.l2557

Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

That's not moral!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Jeff

That may be the orangest back I've ever seen on a '64.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Save $430

I got a chuckle when I clicked the link for the 64 Mantle. Above the listing, where ebay suggests alternatives to the auction in case you were outbid, is another PSA 8 '64 Mantle for a BUY IT NOW price of $430 less. Even more impressive than shattering the world record by 50% is the fact that they made a but it now price look like a bargain.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Robert Williams

Lmfao!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothrk View Post
I got a chuckle when I clicked the link for the 64 Mantle. Above the listing, where ebay suggests alternatives to the auction in case you were outbid, is another PSA 8 '64 Mantle for a BUY IT NOW price of $430 less. Even more impressive than shattering the world record by 50% is the fact that they made a but it now price look like a bargain.
That was a BIN with an offer. I am sure they would take less.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Leon that card does not have a thermonuclear orange back. Or the conspicuous white spot above the lettering. Apples to oranges.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

I think this card just proves that collectors really are listening to those of us who have been saying: "Buy the scan, not the holder"

Last edited by Runscott; 05-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I think this card just proves that collectors really are listening to those of us who have been saying: "Buy the scan, not the holder
If I sell this exact same card...same cert # and everything - I don't break $700......just sayin'! I find it hilarious that the card brought 4 figures.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

For the 64 Mantle card, if you look at the feedback that PWCC provided, the ebay buyer for that card is the following: Link

This is my guess as the underbidder for the 64 Mantle auction (just looked for bidders with same # feedback): Link

Last edited by glchen; 05-01-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
If I sell this exact same card...same cert # and everything - I don't break $700......just sayin'! I find it hilarious that the card brought 4 figures.
For the 50 percent over world record I can only hope the consignment was from a legitimate source.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Good grief. I have to go beat my head against a wall. 64 Mantles were so common that you couldn't even trade one for a Ted Savage. I used to open a pack of 64s and pitch em in the trash if I had them already. I probably threw away 10 mint Mantles.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Good grief. I have to go beat my head against a wall. 64 Mantles were so common that you couldn't even trade one for a Ted Savage. I used to open a pack of 64s and pitch em in the trash if I had them already. I probably threw away 10 mint Mantles.
I never got a dup Mantle that I can remember, but I did seem to always get my one per year.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I never got a dup Mantle that I can remember, but I did seem to always get my one per year.
64 was my first year of buying cards and I went in whole hog. Mantle was in the first series and I wound up with 20 of everybody before completing it. The two cards I could never get in the set were Pete Rose and Willie Mays. My next door neighbor was a Giant and Mays fan and he had the only Mays in town. He wouldn't part with it for ANYTHING! Took me 5 years to get it from him and by then it was a little beat up. That card is in my collection to this day. It meant too much to me to upgrade. I just had an idea though. I think I will upgrade and send it back to my old buddy who lives 1000 miles away now. He probably still regrets giving that card up.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Thought I would give this a 'bump" PWCC has just listed a nice selection of cards, even 19th cent. I see a couple I will shoot for, but he has been getting incredible prices as of late. I'll probably get shut out. Dave.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-26-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Cain J.

I've had exceptional service but noticed some items going for more than market price. Could be due to the volume of auctions available which in turn brings outs more bidders?

Last edited by ins02; 05-27-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Put on your sunglasses and view the offering!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Put on your sunglasses and view the offering!
Whatever you say, Princess.