NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Becky

Default To clean or not to clean~that is the question?

I have an unidentified substance on some of these cards. It reminds me of thick chalk. I think several cards were graded with this on them. I just tried scratching a very small portion of it off one of the ungraded cards just to see what would happen and it comes right off with no visible damage.
I know with pencil marks I was told not to touch them. I don't know about this stuff though. On some of the cards it covers 75% of the picture. This is the card I played with. Any thoughts?
Becky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jennings Summer T201073.jpg (77.9 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by selling4nana; 05-18-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: fix pic
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

Pencil marks leave indentations which won't come out, and the removing usuallly removes some original ink as well.

If this stuff comes off that easily, I'd clean it. Maybe not by scratching, as that could cause further damage. But maybe a damp q tip would work and be more gentle. And a card that's that worn and has stuff stuck to it is good to experiment on as it's hard to make it much worse.

Personally, I wouldn't send that one in for grading. It's bad enough that the grade should be clear to anyone. Just put it in a postcard sleeve and toploader and itwill be fine.

Steve B
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
But maybe a damp q tip would work and be more gentle.
Steve B
I tried the q tip idea and it looked like the color was bleeding onto the q tip. So I tried a little more scratching (cringe!). I just did the title and a little on the face. This is an update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jennings take 3081.jpg (78.8 KB, 202 views)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
James Gallo

Keep scratching, it looks good and the card doesn't have an high even value that anyone would be bothered IMO.

James G
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Pencil marks leave indentations which won't come out, and the removing usuallly removes some original ink as well.

Steve B
Very light pencil marks that are erased won't always leave indentions in my experiences. You can usually tell by closely examining the marks. I have erased quite a few, very light pencil marks and no indentions were left. It all depends on how heavy handed the writer was. Remember to always use a plastic type/art eraser that crumbles easily, to remove the pencil.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's good to know about the pencil marks, I'd do that for light marks on the back, but all the ones I run across seem to be very heavy handed and on the fronts. I have some stamp stuff that's been lightly marked by dealers or previous owners, and most of that erases just fine. Some of it I won't erase because it's too cool. Like a note on the back as to the date the original collector bought the item and which post office it came from. A couple of the ones I have are from the 1890's.

On the cleaning - Looks like the scratching is working fine. If color is coming off then you know that the ink on T201s may be water soluble and they can't be cleaned that way. Good info to file away for later. (Odd too, lithography relies on wet plates and oil based inks.)

Steve B
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Use an Artgum eraser on pencil marks. It is formulated not to damage paper artwork.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Use an Artgum eraser on pencil marks. It is formulated not to damage paper artwork.
Absolutely. The kind I have on my desk are Mars Plastic Erasers. They are cheap and work great.

Steve- I have some pencil marked cards where I do leave the marks as they are part of the provenance, history and glory of our cards. Here are two with tiny prices on the upper backs. I know there is a 3rd similar one floating around the hobby with the same type mark. I think a board member might even own it. And my Zeenut Weaver has a game scored on the back that is very neat. Those kinds of marks I leave as I think they are neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt2091miscutx2.jpg (79.5 KB, 65 views)