NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Hopefully those winning items in this auction are paying with a credit card. At least they will have the option to dispute a charge if the card received is not as described.
Most specifically exclude auction sites, so disputing may be difficult.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:57 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Most specifically exclude auction sites, so disputing may be difficult.
I guess I never read the fine print as I was unaware of that. Perhaps I will review my credit card terms and conditions this evening. Is it common knowledge this is the policy for most cards? Does anyone know specifically about amex or the Costco master card?
Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Sorry to say it, but after a 300+ post thread on these guys, if anyone loses money they deserve it.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Sorry to say it, but after a 300+ post thread on these guys, if anyone loses money they deserve it.
totally agree!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Ben North

These are the 2 lots I won. At $39.60 inc buyers premium I think I done real good.

This on has 13 1959 Fleer Ted Williams cards. If anybody has any in this condition for this price I am your huckleberry. http://www.candimanauctions.com/Lot_...l-LOT1154.aspx

I also won this lot of 24 1955 Bowman cards that includes 6 umpire cards. I needed 2 of the umpires for my set that is now 6 cards from complete. Now I have 22 cards for trade bait.http://www.candimanauctions.com/Lot_...L-LOT1141.aspx
Old 03-11-2018, 04:57 PM
pete ullman

U done very good ben!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I guess I never read the fine print as I was unaware of that. Perhaps I will review my credit card terms and conditions this evening. Is it common knowledge this is the policy for most cards? Does anyone know specifically about amex or the Costco master card?
Amex definitely has it in the fine print. That's the one I checked for sure before this auction, hoping I could have that to fall back on, since Amex usually sides with buyers.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Amex definitely has it in the fine print. That's the one I checked for sure before this auction, hoping I could have that to fall back on, since Amex usually sides with buyers.
A little off topic but I side with the CC companies on this. Because there is a whole group of people that just buy garbage at pennies on the dollar. Then when they don't win big they force a refund.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Tony

they {bros} probably knew that; now I understand why they were fighting with me on the paypal issue so much.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
These are the 2 lots I won. At $39.60 inc buyers premium I think I done real good.

This on has 13 1959 Fleer Ted Williams cards. If anybody has any in this condition for this price I am your huckleberry. http://www.candimanauctions.com/Lot_...l-LOT1154.aspx

I also won this lot of 24 1955 Bowman cards that includes 6 umpire cards. I needed 2 of the umpires for my set that is now 6 cards from complete. Now I have 22 cards for trade bait.http://www.candimanauctions.com/Lot_...L-LOT1141.aspx
Just got my invoice and I would say their shipping is also very reasonable at $8 for the 2 lots I won.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Just pulled up my terms and conditions for amex. The section on disputes if you are unhappy with your purchase was surprisingly short. No specific mention of auction houses, but interesting that the policy does not apply to purchases out of state or made 100 miles from home. I'm not sure how that rule would apply to an online purchase made from my home but to a company out of state. Perhaps an attorney could clarify. Hi Peter

Your Rights

If You Are Dissatisfied With Your Credit Card Purchases If you are dissatisfied with the goods or services that you have purchased with your credit card, and you have tried in good faith to correct the problem with the merchant, you may have the right not to pay the remaining amount due on the purchase. To use this right, all of the following must be true:

1. The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your current mailing address, and the purchase price must have been more than $50. (Note: Neither of these are necessary if your purchase was based on an advertisement we mailed to you, or if we own the company that sold you the goods or services.)

2. You must have used your credit card for the purchase. Purchases made with cash advances from an ATM or with a check that accesses your credit card account do not qualify.

3. You must not yet have fully paid for the purchase. If all of the criteria above are met and you are still dissatisfied with the purchase, contact us in writing at: American Express PO Box 981535 El Paso TX 79998-1535 While we investigate, the same rules apply to the disputed amount as discussed above. After we finish our investigation, we will tell you our decision. At that point, if we think you owe an amount and you do not pay, we may report you as delinquent.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
je.sse @rnot

Terms are more generous if you are a victim of fraud, and in my personal opinion if I bought a card described in a much better condition that the one I received that would constitute fraud. I'm not certain the credit card company would agree, but I would certainly argue my case.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:21 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have a feeling most people who are just relying on returning the items have not been burned in the past. I sent over 4000$ to an auction house last year and they never even called me back. They disappeared Into the wind and took over 50k total from buyers. It just isn't that easy to get your money back.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I have a feeling most people who are just relying on returning the items have not been burned in the past. I sent over 4000$ to an auction house last year and they never even called me back. They disappeared Into the wind and took over 50k total from buyers. It just isn't that easy to get your money back.
That sucks; and were there no legal avenue's you could pursue?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:33 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

We are pursuing a class action suit. I'll reiterate it isn't easy to "just get your money back". Local cops don't even care, so it's about getting an attorney to scare him enough so he pays.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I just lost my first dispute on a Citi credit card. I have had less than a dozen go my way, some quite large too over the past 35 years. This one was against Morphy Auctions. They had misidentified the player in a photo I bought. The purchase price was a $350 and the reason Citi would not find in my favor was because the merchant, Morphy Auctions, did not agree to give me a refund.

Well yeah, they did not want to give me a refund when I contacted them upon receipt of the photo so I was not thinking they were going to lay down for Citi. I was able to provide Citi with overwhelming/irrefutable proof the image was misrepresented. Apparently all Morphy had to do was respond to my dispute saying they do not agree. I was provided their response and it consisted of my invoice and proof of delivery, neither addressed the dispute. LOL. I tried to appeal it and Citi instead gave me an in house credit. Not the outcome I wanted but they can probably afford the $350 hit more than I can.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
We are pursuing a class action suit. I'll reiterate it isn't easy to "just get your money back". Local cops don't even care, so it's about getting an attorney to scare him enough so he pays.
what AH?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM

The brothers are not answering my emails but had no problem sending me an invoice. No communication at all. I imagine it will be worse if I try to get my money back, that is if I decide to pay in the first place.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Ed Jensen

I've slogged through the 30-some odd pages of this thread and must confess that I don't get why there is such an uproar here. Maybe its because I buy ungraded cards almost exclusively, in fact I strongly prefer them. Here is what my takeaway is from the Battles'. They freely admit they are selling some cards that have been altered - they have identified them as such in the auction. Additionally, they are guaranteeing that if any card sold in their auction that was NOT identified as altered comes back that way from a TPG they will offer a full refund. That seems like a reasonable position to take.

As a buyer of ungraded cards, I pay little to no attention to the sellers grading of the card - it is almost always overstated! I make my own decision based upon the scan. I do expect the seller to be honest about flaws that may not show up on the scan, or to identify if the card has been altered or trimmed, but just because the seller claims the card is "NM-MT" and its really only "VG-EX" or comes back from PSA as a 4 I don't see that as fraud.

I know that Battlefield was renowned for doctoring/photoshopping the photos of the cards so that the actual card did not match the photo. It does seem, however, that when the buyer took issue with this refunds were generally given.

So, if the photos are genuine, and you know in advance if you are buying a trimmed (or otherwise altered card), I don't see how this auction is any different from any other. Those who desire the lower risk of buying a card in a graded holder are certainly going to sit out this auction; those who prefer them out of slabs can jump in.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:08 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Is this the type of guarantee you are talking about? If you are unhappy with our product send back the unused portion and we will return the unused portion of your money.

Why are all these questions coming up after the auction? Shouldn't people have asked them BEFORE they bid?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bids

They had over 2400 items in their auction. 980 auctions did not receive a bid. around 650 auctions only received 1 bid. I wonder how many bids are a direct result of their exposure on this board?

I felt like many of the lower end items had starting bids that were way too high.
Even on the lower end items, many of the descriptions failed to mention inks stains, writing, etc.

I won 13 lots, mostly lower end items. I declined to bid on anything that didn't feel right to me. My only concern is with the lack of back scans. I hope I don't get some nasty suprises when I receive the cards and look at the backs.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Is this the type of guarantee you are talking about? If you are unhappy with our product send back the unused portion and we will return the unused portion of your money.

Why are all these questions coming up after the auction? Shouldn't people have asked them BEFORE they bid?
Jay what shocks me the most is how many people here participated despite all that was brought up in this thread. That is remarkable.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Jay what shocks me the most is how many people here participated despite all that was brought up in this thread. That is remarkable.
That can be said about many AHs/eBay sellers and threads on this forum.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I bet there were a lot more that participated than we'll ever know. They just won't admit it. This thread was great free advertising.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Same here. I guess that explains why a guy like Mastro could stay in business for so long. I do understand the guys buying low grade cards for cheap prices. But I wouldn't have considered any of the relatively higher end stuff.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:13 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I bet there were a lot more that participated than we'll ever know. They just won't admit it. This thread was great free advertising.
I'm sure there were a number of board members who ended up bidding simply as a result of being made aware of an auction they may not have even known about prior. But the way I see it, that's not really the point.

The point is that it was necessary to give this a full airing up-front, and not let Candiman Auctions hang around and grow as if it were just another AH breaking onto the scene. This thread may have increased awareness of their AH temporarily with some "free advertising", and maybe put some extra bidders into their 1st Auction, but the Long Game here is what's important -- if they fly by night and screw people over even in the slightest, they won't be around anymore.

For better or worse, I was the one who opened pandora's box on Candiman Auctions possibly being Battlefield/War_Eagle on the old thread last Saturday. Other board members did some stellar work proving that it was indeed the Battles family who created this new AH, then prompting the Battles Brothers to then come on here to state their case. I think overall the restraint shown in the discussion has been pretty fair, given the eBay history of Battlefield/WEV.

As I've already said once, I think the board should be very proud of itself for acting to protect the hobby from any actors whose business practices even appear in the slightest to be designed to take advantage of collectors' naivete or greed.
Well done to all who have made their well thought-out points.

I for one can't wait to hear from the board once 1) the cards arrive in board members' hands, and 2) once these cards start to pop with the TPG's. This is going to rumble on for a while...
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The definition of Irony

There are a significant number of board members who buy graded cards and when they arrive immediately crack them out of their so-called “tombs” to free them, so they can feel and smell them as part of their collection.

Now there are a significant number of board members who buy candiman cards and when they arrive immediately send them to PSA to be “entombed” to find out whether they have found a bargain or been ripped off.

I realize there are board members who don’t belong to either group or just one, but I suspect there is considerable overlap and members who belong to both. The irony of this situation does not escape me and I have to chuckle.

The goldmine is the TPG, who exploit this perfect storm and are more than willing to grade the same card every time it changes hands in some cases.

Who feeds the TPG gold mine? Look in the mirror?

Disclaimer: I belong to neither of the two groups. I have sent a few ungraded cards for grading though and I have also cracked a few slabs (to cross from GAI to SGC), but never for nefarious reasons.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Well I didn't see the thread until after the auction.

Dan Mckee
Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 AM
Brendan Mullen

There are a significant number of board members who buy graded cards and when they arrive immediately crack them out of their so-called “tombs” to free them, so they can feel and smell them as part of their collection.

Guilty all day, everyday
Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
what AH?
Maybe it can't be stated here, but I am curious too. What AH did this? That is absolutely awful
Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post

Guilty all day, everyday
Me too, but "feeling and smelling them" does sound a bit like 50 Shades Of Cardboard
Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Well I didn't see the thread until after the auction.

Dan Mckee
Where did you hear about the auction, Dan?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:

Guilty all day, everyday
Same here. I have to have the cards in my hands.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I just lost my first dispute on a Citi credit card. I have had less than a dozen go my way, some quite large too over the past 35 years. This one was against Morphy Auctions. They had misidentified the player in a photo I bought. The purchase price was a $350 and the reason Citi would not find in my favor was because the merchant, Morphy Auctions, did not agree to give me a refund.

Well yeah, they did not want to give me a refund when I contacted them upon receipt of the photo so I was not thinking they were going to lay down for Citi. I was able to provide Citi with overwhelming/irrefutable proof the image was misrepresented. Apparently all Morphy had to do was respond to my dispute saying they do not agree. I was provided their response and it consisted of my invoice and proof of delivery, neither addressed the dispute. LOL. I tried to appeal it and Citi instead gave me an in house credit. Not the outcome I wanted but they can probably afford the $350 hit more than I can.
I agree it's not that easy to win a charge back. I bought a $4500 Ruth on ebay a few years ago, and the package arrived empty. It took three months of back and forth with AMEX, and they only agreed to a reversal after I sent them a signed affidavit from my postmaster explaining the package they handled felt "light." Thank goodness I was working with a small town post office.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I agree it's not that easy to win a charge back. I bought a $4500 Ruth on ebay a few years ago, and the package arrived empty. It took three months of back and forth with AMEX, and they only agreed to a reversal after I sent them a signed affidavit from my postmaster explaining the package they handled felt "light." Thank goodness I was working with a small town post office.
what was the market price for that Ruth..

You know what they say

" if you pay light..the package is going to feel light "
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

You know what they say

Scammers abound everywhere. I once accepted a return for some 1961 Fleer Basketball cards after the guy complained that they had qualifiers on them (after he bid on them and won them with the same qualifiers, because I had scans on everything, and mentioned the qualifiers in the title). He ended up sending back cracked BVG holders and not my cards. Because of the advice over on PSA boards, I opened the package in front of a postal employee who confirmed that I received a "brick" in the mail. While the PSA board gave me good advice, some real jerks over there believed I was lying or at fault somehow in the matter. Made me realize how there are some real grade A assholes in the world.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I'm surprised it came to that. I would have expected the eBay guarantee to take care of an issue like that.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Robert Williams

When the winnings start arriving, please post them on here. As for me, I'm still waiting on my one lowly card.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Brendan Mullen

Dead silence from Candiman for almost a week now. Good luck everyone....
Old 03-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Dead silence from Candiman for almost a week now. Good luck everyone....
I am certain they are busy packing, shipping and preparing for the April auction. Keep those bids rolling in, Net54ers!!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

You know what they say

WTF does this even mean? I won an auction, so I can assure you I didn’t “pay light.” I’ve never “paid light” on any card I own. Are you suggesting I somehow deserved to get scammed?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
WTF does this even mean? I won an auction, so I can assure you I didn’t “pay light.” I’ve never “paid light” on any card I own. Are you suggesting I somehow deserved to get scammed?
A friend of mine bought a 52T Mantle PSA 4 a few years back and a 57T Mantle PSA 5 showed up in the package. The weight was right, anyhow.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A friend of mine bought a 52T Mantle PSA 4 a few years back and a 57T Mantle PSA 5 showed up in the package. The weight was right, anyhow.
Well, per Jake’s logic, depending on the price he paid, perhaps he was only due a 57 Mantle.

Per my logic, that’s awful. It feels like such a punch in the gut when the package doesn’t contain what you bought. And the fact that a card was sent, with tracking, makes it much harder to build your case as eBay and PayPal are pretty binary when it comes to believing that a tracking number proves the seller’s case.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Holy Shit!! That's horrible Peter!! Did the problem ever get resolved?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Holy Shit!! That's horrible Peter!! Did the problem ever get resolved?
Yeah, it took time and quite a bit of effort though, and some luck. He got his money back, and he got to keep the 57T lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:21 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Hi

Has anyone received any cards yet??
Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Has anyone received any cards yet??
I have not but I got a tracking number.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I have not but I got a tracking number.
Same here
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Well, per Jake’s logic, depending on the price he paid, perhaps he was only due a 57 Mantle.

Per my logic, that’s awful. It feels like such a punch in the gut when the package doesn’t contain what you bought. And the fact that a card was sent, with tracking, makes it much harder to build your case as eBay and PayPal are pretty binary when it comes to believing that a tracking number proves the seller’s case.
Right, for example, if you pay $1000 for a 1952 Topps PSA 3 Mantle at an 'auction' won this month and won ' the card....i would consider that paying light and expecting to get a light package. (getting a brick in the mail or getting nothing is still getting a light package...its a term of art) Its not like almost everyone thinks this auction will be full of feeling light packages of people that paid light....its not a shocker

I think 57 mantles weigh less than 52 mantles....less cardboard

If pay light you are going to get something that feels light in the mail

Sell the holder not the card..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-18-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I don't believe the wouldn't ship, that wasn't battlesfields MO

I received tracking on my lot from another auction house which was never delivered. A label was printed, but nothing was ever dropped at the Post office.