NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Default Hello and help with 1931 Japan Tour ball?

Firstly hello! I'm a collector of mainly modern GU items but joined here expressly to get the wisdom of vintage collectors.

I live in Japan, and recently on a Japanese online auction site (kinda like ebay) I came across a signed ball that has a total of 16 signatures on it, but the owner could only identify 1 which was Lou Gehrig.

Figuring it was possibly a tour of Japan ball I did some research and identified the following (grouped according to location on ball):

Lou Gehrig
Rabbit Maranville
Willie Kamm

J.E. Reardon (umpire)
Frank O'Doul
Muddy Ruel
George Kelly
unidentified (upside down under Kelly?)

Lefty Grove(ss)

Dr. Leonard Knowles (Team Trainer)
Ralph Shinners
Al Simmons
Herb Hunter

Larry French
Billy Cunningham
Tom Oliver

These match exactly to the 1931 Tour of Japan roster but is missing Mickey Cochrane (the upside down name seems to be Cochrane, but the first initial is a G or S?), and Frank Frisch to be complete.

Here are links to auctioned Tour of Japan balls I found and then my ball's photos. I would like to know everyone's opinion as to the authenticity of this ball. To my untrained eye, the signatures on my ball seem to match the flow etc of the ones in the auctions. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks for any info, Michelle

Previously auctioned balls for comparison:

http://www.lelands.com/auction/aucti...igned-Baseball

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ventoryid=9082

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...lotIdNo=405001

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...&lotIdNo=24001

My ball:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.9 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg image-1.jpg (20.1 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg image-2.jpg (17.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg image-3.jpg (19.5 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg image-4.jpg (20.1 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg image-5.jpg (20.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg image-6.jpg (19.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg image-7.jpg (19.6 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg image-8.jpg (19.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg image-9.jpg (20.4 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg image-10.jpg (20.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg image-11.jpg (18.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg image-12.jpg (17.8 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by Misha; 11-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM
J Stone

Look pretty good from the pictures. Cochrane's first name was Gordon, so yes, that looks like G. Cochrane.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Oh I didn't know that about Cochrane. Thanks for that! Well if that's the case, then the ball has everyone except Frisch. Some balls have Fred Lieb the sportswriter on them so that's another name "missing".

Anyone else please feel free to comment. If this ball does seem good, how should I keep it?? I'm not looking to sell it at the moment, but I'm scared that it might get messed up or something. At the moment it is as it was delivered to me, wrapped loosely in a sheet of polystyrene/plastic/foam wrapping material people use for wrapping dishes in when they move. This is then in a Japanese wooden box away from any light. I haven't touched it at all with my hands, just looked and rolled it around on the sheet.

Of course I know price depends on many factors when it comes to autographs, but again, if real, anyone wanna give me some estimate of it's value? It wasn't cheap for me, about 80+ bids were put on this before I finally got it. Just curious…..

Thanks again for any input from all
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM
J Stone

Unfortunately the best way to keep a ball like that is in the dark. A dark closet or drawer or better yet, a safe deposit box in a bank.

If you live in a humid area, the safe deposit box is about the only "safe" place to store it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
J@son.K

I would say it's worth what you paid for it. If you had 80+ bids on it, that's almost the market speaking about the value.
Care to share how much you paid for it (or at least a hint/range)?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Firstly hello! I'm a collector of mainly modern GU items but joined here expressly to get the wisdom of vintage collectors.

I live in Japan, and recently on a Japanese online auction site (kinda like ebay) I came across a signed ball that has a total of 16 signatures on it, but the owner could only identify 1 which was Lou Gehrig.

Figuring it was possibly a tour of Japan ball I did some research and identified the following (grouped according to location on ball):

Lou Gehrig
Rabbit Maranville
Willie Kamm

J.E. Reardon (umpire)
Frank O'Doul
Muddy Ruel
George Kelly
unidentified (upside down under Kelly?)

Lefty Grove(ss)

Dr. Leonard Knowles (Team Trainer)
Ralph Shinners
Al Simmons
Herb Hunter

Larry French
Billy Cunningham
Tom Oliver

These match exactly to the 1931 Tour of Japan roster but is missing Mickey Cochrane (the upside down name seems to be Cochrane, but the first initial is a G or S?), and Frank Frisch to be complete.

Here are links to auctioned Tour of Japan balls I found and then my ball's photos. I would like to know everyone's opinion as to the authenticity of this ball. To my untrained eye, the signatures on my ball seem to match the flow etc of the ones in the auctions. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks for any info, Michelle

Previously auctioned balls for comparison:

http://www.lelands.com/auction/aucti...igned-Baseball

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ventoryid=9082

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...lotIdNo=405001

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...&lotIdNo=24001

My ball:
Great looking ball!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Brock

I know what she paid because I was messaging her last week about the ball and auction. I won't disclose the price but I feel she made a good buy and if sold could bring a lot more.

Last edited by yanks12025; 11-06-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I know what she paid because I was mediating her last week about the ball and auction. I won't disclose the price but I feel she made a good buy and if sold could bring a lot more.
Hi Brock! Well I'm feeling better about the ball with the comments in the thread. I do think I got a good deal, but it certainly was the most I've ever spent on a single item, seeing that I usually collect Oakland Athletics stuff 68-present.

At the moment I want to keep it in the best possible way, it's sad to stick it in a box in a drawer. A previous poster mentioned humidity being bad for it, well it's so humid here in summer, so I'll probably take it back to California next month and see if it fits in the safety deposit box.

If I do decide to sell it, should I get it authenticated first then consign it, or will the auction house do that for me? Any preferences for authenticator?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but like I said in the OP I joined this site expressly since I knew you folks on here were much more knowledgable than me.

Michelle
Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Just want to congratulate you on this ball. I own a 1931 AS team signed ball (mine has Lieb but is missing Knowles. Such a cool part of history, and the fact yours is a Japanese ball is awesome!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Thanks! Will enjoy it for a long time