NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Default Was there much in the way of Pacific Coast League items at The National?

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I'm curious as to how many Pacific Coast League items were available at this years National?

How many Home Run Kisses cards were seen?

Was there a Home Run Kisses proof sold?

Were there many Zeenuts and Obaks?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Patrick

Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default Was there much in the way of Pacific Coast League items at The National?

Posted By: eric p.

a board member picked up a zeenut that was very unusual but i don't know that i would call it a proof, i picked up 4 home run kisses myself, zack had mentioned to me that he had seen another home run kiss but it was trimmed, i had sold my e100 bishop set, there was a decent amount of pcl items there.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I couldn't find any Zeenut HOFers.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Since so many here are now pursuing the early Zeenut sets, were there any/many 1911-1917 Zeenut cards around?

Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Mark Macrae had two T4 Obaks and two Pebble Beach Clothier cards. One dealer had a stack of around 10 1911 & 10 1912 Zeenuts (still available as of Friday night). Another dealer had around 5-7 trimmed T217 Mono cards. DCD had some '43 Centennial Flours and some newer (old, but not pre-war) PCL stuff. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Zeenuts or Obaks, but don't remember very many Zeenuts and a scattered selection of T212s.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

I see a lot more Zeenuts at the small PCL reunion show in Cerritos every May than at the National this year. I was pretty surprised there wasn't any more PCL material at this show than in Chicago and Cleveland. Mark did have a couple of T4's and I think it was SCP/Sotheby's that had a bunch of them in their case. Saw an odd HRK's and Bishop's, but little or no post war Remars, Signals, Sunbeams, Mother's, etc.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I saw a handful of Home Run Kisses and and even more Zeenuts. There were a few 1915s with coupons along with a large grouping of various other years at Ryan's table. Another table had two reasonable stacks of 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts as well. I managed to pick up a good number of years I was missing for my type set of Zeenuts along with some poses I really enjoyed. As Erik already said, I picked up one Home Run Kisses in lowgrade but traded it to someone who could use it more than me

Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Considering the diversity of material offered / sought after at the National, the Pacific Coast League was pretty well represented . Collectively there were a few thousand pre 1957 cards, including the largest offering of (complete) T-4's I can ever recall seeing at a National....Keep in mind all but 2 were on display for Sotheby's fall auction..... There were also several dozen programs, and a good selection of photos , including Lelands incredible new find... Keep in mind Patrick, that there were more Home Run Kisses for sale at this National than there were at the first National I attended ('83 in Chicago).... As Griffins correctly points out, the annual PCL reunions (One in Southern California in May, the other in Oakland is on August 12th) will bring out a far greater selection of PCL material than other regional / National shows. Another factor to consider is that much of the BEST material is walking the room in briefcases or transacts discreetly. Not every collector welcomes the intrusion of onlookers

Old 08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Sounds like, to paraphrase an old movie fellow...

"there was nothing in the way of PCL items, you could get right to them!"

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

8 Obaks, 15 Zeenuts, 1 Pebble Beach Clothiers.

Edited to Add: Thanks, Mark M., for the PB O'Doul and 27 Zeenuts Reese.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Steve Verkman had quite a few Obaks. Here's one.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I picked up both 1952 and 1953 Mothers near sets.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Does anyone have any information on this years PCL reunion in Oakland? I can't find anything aside from a blurb in the Contra Costa times giving the date and little else. I know someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. Any leads would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

email Mark Macrae, his email is on linked thru his sign in above. He sends out an email blast on it.
If you're in the area it's definitely worth stopping in. Lots of players that are just happy they are remembered, and some cool cards and memoribilia on the tables. The Cerritos show is small but a lot of fun, and everyone is very friendly.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

He may have had other PCL material too - I just scanned his table briefly.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

The PCL Player reunion will be held this Saturday, August 12, at the Oakland Museum from 10 AM - 3:30. The museum is located at 1000 Oak Street, 1 block from the Lake Merritt BART station. Admission is free for PCLHS members and those with an Oakland Museum Day pass, otherwise it's a $5 donation. Approximately two dozen former PCL players (Pre 1958) have sent in their confirmation so far. There will only be 8 vendors, but all of them will be bringing PCL related material for sale. The vendor area is only open from 10 AM until 12:30, so get there early if you want to purchase memorabilia. The balance of the day you can visit with players. There is no charge for autographs and most players are very gracious with requests. The afternoon portion features player introductions and interviews, a PCL Hall of Fame presentations, and more. A great way to spend a day and begin to understand what attracts many people to collecting the PCL . A large crowd is expected. For more info, email me at the link above

Old 08-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I picked up two 1909 OBAK beaters, 1 1910 and 1 1911 Obaks. I also picked up the only Seattle Popcorn card I saw in the whole show.
I did see a bunch of fairly common stuff too including remar, signal oil, frostade, etc. There were several Homerun Kisses cards, many Zeenuts, many 1911 Obaks, one table had a great selection of PCL programs, pennants, buttons, and a few cards. Did see one '49 Bowman PCL but it was a private transaction. Overall pretty good but not as good as I had hoped.

Joshua