NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm not sure kids have any idea that the world wasn't just created today. They seem to live in the moment, and there is no past and no history. Baby boomers weren't like that- we always craved to learn anything we could about history, music, art, everything we could get our hands on. Like others said, today it's all about instant gratification. If Sean doesn't have the answer to his questions immediately, he answers them himself, then jumps to the next topic. The world is changing too quickly for me. Do you know I still play records on a turntable and don't even know what an ipod looks like? Oh well, there I go raving and ranting again.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: robert

Baby Boomers?

This act is pretty new actually.

Even in the 80s and early 90s, all "we" did as kids was play baseball, skateboard, or maybe even drink a bunch of beer, but we did it outside and usually far away from the tv and parents.

Now kids just want to sit back with a latte and "plug in."

I recently read a VERY disturbing article stating that many college students in dorms prefer to "chat" with their roommate online rather than in person.....WHILE THEY ARE IN THE SAME ROOM. CMON!

rob

Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Josh Adams

Every generation thinks theirs is the best. This is not to take away from the baby boomers at all.
I'm 28, and when I was 11, and through my teen years, I couldn't stand to stay indoors. (I still can't today, when it's nice out). I have an Xbox (an alternative to a playstation, for those not familiar), and really only use it in the winter when it's too cold or I can't find anyone to play football with.

True, today's kids want everything now, but then again, so do alot of adults. It's just the times we live in.
Now, only if the Tigers can lose some games (thought I'd through a baseball reference in there, just to keep things relevant).

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Old Judge Collector

So yea pretty much Old Judge And T206 ARE THE MOST VALUABLE SETS OF ALL TIME IF IN A PERECT GRADE right???

Old 06-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Joann

Of the mainstream sets I suppose Old Judge and T206's would be right up there.

But for my money, if such a thing as a complete set of T254 Old Luckey's even existed it should be the most valuable set by far, regardless of grade. In perfect grade it probably couldn't even be estimated. Just PSA 10's of Josh Adesso, Scott Marquette and Ted Behrens would have to be close to $2-3 million each. But like someone said above, it's kind of a made up question and answer, because no one has ever seen even one of these cards in close to that grade. Still though ... kind of fun to think about.

Can anyone post any of their scans from this set or of these players? Even the really beat up versions are worth 6-digits, if you can even find one.

Happy hunting.

Joann

Old 06-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Anonymous

I still think the T231 Fan cards are the hardest. Over 86 cards in the set and only 2 known examples.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Tim James

You have to be realistic,high grade cards from either of these sets are hard to come by.Mint sets of these are non-existant.At 11,I would have pondered this,at 41,I know it isn't possible.Collect as much as you can,learn as much as you can along the way,and most of all,enjoy the journey.It's what keeps us "wingnuts" young !!

Old 07-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Lee Behrens

What does the question matter it is all hypothical.

Sean, please get off the kick off the value of the cards, there is so much more to this board then how much the cards are worth.

Lee

Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Joe_G.

I've shared grading trends and what not in the past and figure this would be a good time to show the newbie a couple facts. The following is a chart of SGC grades awarded to Old Judge cards. Keep in mind that SGC has graded twice as many Old Judges as PSA.

(accurate as of Sept. '05)

There are 520 different baseball subjects in the set. Try finding even one SGC100.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 07-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The Old Judge and t206 sets are very costly mainly because there are many cards in each set. The points above regarding the t231 Fan and t254 Old Luckey sets are that each individual card is very costly in those sets (but there aren't as many cards in either set). You would be far better off if you had a couple of examples of either of these than the typical example of a t206 or n172.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Sean

who are the 2 board members who have over 2000+ old judge cards that you said

Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: barrysloate

It's the choice of those collectors to step forward if they wish. They are entitled to their privacy.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Bobby

In theory if it where possible a complete set of N172's in PSA 7 would be more then $1.5 million probable more. Then as you in crease it to 8's 9's and 10's the price would increase exponentially. You can't apply the PSA 65% rule when dealing in such high grade it's more like 200-300% increases per grade going up.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

As Joe G. pointed out, (Hi, Joe, it was great meeting you last week) SGC 100s are as rare as unicorns. Many of us at the National did see an SGC 96 N172 of Kelly (a portrait, I think) with a price tag of $150,000.00. A great card, to be sure, but I don't think too many collectors are willing or able to fork over that kind of loot, particularly for a card that is not all that rare. And, of course, a price tag does not equal a sale.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: William Heitman

You guys are tiring me out. Nobody really knows what an N172 set is, or would consist of. It is definitely a card by card adventure. And its legend grows each and every day.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Anonymous

A standard set would be one pose of each player, excluding the California Leaguers.

A reasonable master set would be all player/team combinations.

The few that are assembling all possible poses are tilting at windmills. But if something were attainable, what would the point be of it's pursuit?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: William Heitman

It is a set that's never been "completed" because no one has the foggiest idea what that would be.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Jay

For the first time ever I must disagree with Richard. The basic Old Judge set is one of each player, including the California League players. They are no less a part of the set than any other rare card.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Jeff Lowe

We have a pretty good idea what the Old Judge N172 set would look like . Start with 704 players . Of course there are variations in all old sets . Some players have 2 or 3 poses but not all . Whats so hard about that ?

Jeff

Old 08-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I believe that some also have 15-17 poses, but not all. My guess that 15-17 poses are encountered as infrequently as 2-3, with most falling inbetween these extremes.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: runscott

Happy hunting K.Brooks...whoever you are.

David Rudd - I'm settled in Seattle and looking forward to a meeting at the local Starbucks finally. You know, that Starbucks on the corner downtown...and I thought the Simpsons episode was a joke

Jay - Hope you are doing well. If any of you find yourself in Seattle, you are welcome to stay at my new 'crib' - free rattles and biscuits.