NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default Where are you Jason May...

Jason,

Since you don't reply to my emails, I thought that I may actually get a response from you on here.

I had purchased some cards from you that you were very adamant on passing authentication and none of which did. I would obviously like a refund, but I would like to hear more on your end. And I know I am not the only guy going through this right now as you've sold another bad autograph to a board member that they are probably out thousands as well.

Cheers,

Brent
Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

hopefully a misunderstanding..what is his username
Old 03-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
hopefully a misunderstanding..what is his username

Jasonxmay.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Brent,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Hopefully there's a good excuse. Any chance you could post pictures?

Andrew
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Brent,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Hopefully there's a good excuse. Any chance you could post pictures?

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you and here you go!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Thanks Brent. I always admire the cards you post, hope this is resolved quickly for you. Appreciate you posting the pics.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Thanks Brent. I always admire the cards you post, hope this is resolved quickly for you. Appreciate you posting the pics.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Default My defense

I hate this type of thread, but since I've been called out I feel the need to defend myself. This will be my only response, but if anyone has any remaining concerns I will respond to any private messages I receive.

I sold the Simmons to Brent over a year ago after I purchased it from another respected member of this site. I also purchased Ruth and Rixey signed 33 Goudeys from the same member at the same time and both are now in PSA holders. I believed, and still believe, the Simmons to be authentic. However, Brent never requested and I never offered any type of guarantee.

The Fabers were part of a trade Brent and I made in 2014. I received a Rube Marquard signed t206 and $1000 cash and Brent received the Fabers as well as signed 33 Goudeys of Maranville, Hartnett and Lyons. We discussed the possibility that the Fabers might be wife signed and again, no guarantee was requested or given. Brent also referred to the Fabers as a "toss in" when he requested that they be added to the deal.

I hear nothing about any of these cards until last Friday when I get an email from Brent informing me that the 3 had failed authentication and demanding a refund. If the email had been less demanding I probably would have offered a refund, but I don't respond well to discourteousness.

I have sold many signed cards without incident. I have given a few refunds when cards failed authentication. I've also bought my share of cards that failed to pass authentication and I've never requested a refund unless a guarantee was made. I believe I know the other member Brent is referencing me having sold a fake autograph to, and I am certain that member will acknowledge that I sold that particular card at a steep discount based on my disclosure that it had already failed PSA. That member has never requested a refund.

The bottom line is that I feel it's unreasonable for Brent to wait one year and over two years, respectively, to demand a refund when no guarantees were ever made or requested. As I said, this will be my only reply, but if anyone who has traded with, or bought from, me in the past has any concerns, please send me a private message and I'll gladly respond.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
I hate this type of thread, but since I've been called out I feel the need to defend myself. This will be my only response, but if anyone has any remaining concerns I will respond to any private messages I receive.

I sold the Simmons to Brent over a year ago after I purchased it from another respected member of this site. I also purchased Ruth and Rixey signed 33 Goudeys from the same member at the same time and both are now in PSA holders. I believed, and still believe, the Simmons to be authentic. However, Brent never requested and I never offered any type of guarantee.

The Fabers were part of a trade Brent and I made in 2014. I received a Rube Marquard signed t206 and $1000 cash and Brent received the Fabers as well as signed 33 Goudeys of Maranville, Hartnett and Lyons. We discussed the possibility that the Fabers might be wife signed and again, no guarantee was requested or given. Brent also referred to the Fabers as a "toss in" when he requested that they be added to the deal.

I hear nothing about any of these cards until last Friday when I get an email from Brent informing me that the 3 had failed authentication and demanding a refund. If the email had been less demanding I probably would have offered a refund, but I don't respond well to discourteousness.

I have sold many signed cards without incident. I have given a few refunds when cards failed authentication. I've also bought my share of cards that failed to pass authentication and I've never requested a refund unless a guarantee was made. I believe I know the other member Brent is referencing me having sold a fake autograph to, and I am certain that member will acknowledge that I sold that particular card at a steep discount based on my disclosure that it had already failed PSA. That member has never requested a refund.

The bottom line is that I feel it's unreasonable for Brent to wait one year and over two years, respectively, to demand a refund when no guarantees were ever made or requested. As I said, this will be my only reply, but if anyone who has traded with, or bought from, me in the past has any concerns, please send me a private message and I'll gladly respond.

Demanded? Really? How is this demanding?

What was it about being wife signed?

I'll reply more later...Goodnight
Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

So, I take it that's a no on the refund...even when you said it's not wife signed when it is? And it looks like you said I could return it if I'm not comfortable with it. Well, I'm not comfortable with it and would like to return it.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-10-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
So, I take it that's a no on the refund...even when you said it's not wife signed when it is? And it looks like you said I could return it if I'm not comfortable with it. Well, I'm not comfortable with it and would like to return it.
No offense, but it was kinda clownish to ask for the refund the way you did, not demanding, but clownish. Still think you should get a full refund, since thats what he promised.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan94 View Post
No offense, but it was kinda clownish to ask for the refund the way you did, not demanding, but clownish. Still think you should get a full refund, since thats what he promised.

Thanks for your input. I certainly could have written my email better, but it certainly was in no way demanding or discourteous. Clown question? Possibly.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I certainly I could have written my email better, but it certainly was in no way demanding or discourteous. Clown question? Possibly.
Yea his version is a little over zealous if there is no more. lol I'd say just a little bizarre to ask how he was going to refund you after three years. I don't know him but if he's an honest seller I think he will do the right thing, and ignore the fact that you slightly mispoke. I mean if the only reason your not going to refund is because you feel you were slighted, thats no way to handle a transaction. Just my opinion.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

The interesting people us collectors are...wierd on both ways..the buyer wanting the refund sort of wierdly and a long time later and the seller saying

"... If the email had been less demanding I probably would have offered a refund, but I don't respond well to discourteousness."

Always interesting when someone WAS going to do something but for the tone of the email. Either you refund or you dont dont. Usually those are fake excuses when they point to tone or politeness. I never heard anyone say 'i was going to not pay you back except you asked you asked sooo nicely so here is the money'

If the seller was ok already in offering a refund, he shouldnt be complaining about tone, just offer the refund since thats the moral code he was following

Seems like the wrong buyer for the wrong seller..just wasnt a good match

But thats a good thing about net54...if you are ignored in emails you can always open up a thread here

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-10-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I believe there is a reasoable time frame for inspection. Money gets allocatedto different things. Refund is not always possible even. There is no infinite time period for returns from honest sellers. That is ridiculous.

If you have concerns dont buy. If you buy get the item inspected and if its bad return it within a normal time frame.

Even credit cards will not let you dispute something after 6 months. I believe that to be a good guage on where to draw the line...but even that is really long to float a seller. In private transactions it should be 2 to 3 months. That is more than enough to get something graded or get other opinions.

No offense but that is what you get for sitting on things. Chaulk it up and stop doing business with him.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
I believe there is a reasoable time frame for inspection. Money gets allocatedto different things. Refund is not always possible even. There is no infinite time period for returns from honest sellers. That is ridiculous.

If you have concerns dont buy. If you buy get the item inspected and if its bad return it within a normal time frame.

Even credit cards will not let you dispute something after 6 months. I believe that to be a good guage on where to draw the line...but even that is really long to float a seller. In private transactions it should be 2 to 3 months. That is more than enough to get something graded or get other opinions.

No offense but that is what you get for sitting on things. Chaulk it up and stop doing business with him.

Really? That is what I get? So, because I trust a seller whom I thought was a close hobby friend and trusted his word I get what I deserve? I deserve to be out $3k? Because he blatantly lied to me, which I have attached images, yet you feel like I deserve this? Are you kidding me? There were no red flags with Jason prior to this. I didn't NEED to send them in to get authenticated because I trusted him. All we have is our word, right?

And BTW, I offer lifetime guarantees with ALL of my items if an autograph is proven to be bad. I have refunded a seller after a year no questions asked. There is no fine line limit like with a credit card.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-11-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:
Really? That is what I get? So, because I trust a seller whom I thought was a close hobby friend and trusted his word I get what I deserve? I deserve to be out $3k? Because he blatantly lied to me, which I have attached images, yet you feel like I deserve this? Are you kidding me? There were no red flags with Jason prior to this. I didn't NEED to send them in to get authenticated because I trusted him. All we have is our word, right?

And BTW, I offer lifetime guarantees with ALL of my items if an autograph is proven to be bad. I have refunded a seller after a year no questions asked. There is no fine line limit like with a credit card.
Well the fact of the matter is that this guy told everyone that he would refund him the money, but now won't because I guess he feels slighted? That is extremely unethical.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM
David

Default Autos and refund expectation

I agree that it's completely unreasonable to expect a refund after that amount of time. For authentication - 60 days max is acceptable for getting a response back and communicating to the seller.

Personally, I think the autos are good - PSA and other authentication companies sometimes just don't know, so they error on the side of "not authentic" but they get it wrong too.

I have an autograph signed at a dinner from a HOF'er, and since he was drunk off his ass, the auto is terrible and would never pass authentication.

I say sorry, learn from it and move on

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 03-11-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:10 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBaseball View Post
I agree that it's completely unreasonable to expect a refund after that amount of time. For authentication - 60 days max is acceptable for getting a response back and communicating to the seller.

Personally, I think the autos are good - PSA and other authentication companies sometimes just don't know, so they error on the side of "not authentic" but they get it wrong too.

I have an autograph signed at a dinner from a HOF'er, and since he was drunk off his ass, the auto is terrible and would never pass authentication.

I say sorry, learn from it and move on

JSA took 12 weeks to get me a decision

What say you?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Ryan Waggoner

As someone who sells cards from time to time. If I found that I sold a card that wasn't what I claimed it to be, there'd be no question that I would refund the money. The only thing we have in this business is our name and that is built on being ethical. If it's 1 day or 1 year or 10 years, if I sold something fraudulent, unbeknownst to me, I'd do what is right and refund the buyer's money.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

It is interesting in terms of how long it is reasonable to ask for a refund people are citing 'regular business practices' such as what a credit card does and then what grading companies do and other examples in the hobby..

when i cited a regular business practice about whether auctions disclose soaking people said regular business practice means nothing if it is wrong etc.

well the seller can always offer more than what a business practice does so if the seller agrees to a refund years later for example, he agreed. When a seller says 'i would of refunded but for your attitude' that means he wouldnt of refunded and is making up a fake excuse.

There are certain things that it is entirely reasonable to ask for a refund years later. Issues such as fraud and collusion. If you learned for example someone from a grading company and a seller colluded to say a card you bought was real, then 6 years later you found out about the collusion and that is was a sure fake, i dont think you should just chalk that up as a loss.

So it all depends.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
When a seller says 'i would of refunded but for your attitude' that means he wouldnt of refunded and is making up a fake excuse.
I 100% agree with this.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
As someone who sells cards from time to time. If I found that I sold a card that wasn't what I claimed it to be, there'd be no question that I would refund the money. The only thing we have in this business is our name and that is built on being ethical. If it's 1 day or 1 year or 10 years, if I sold something fraudulent, unbeknownst to me, I'd do what is right and refund the buyer's money.
+1. I took a signed Berra back I had signed through his foundation which had failed psa. It doesnt matter if an auto good or not, as long as it passes. Hence why I've used Richard Simon on authographs I need decisions and opinions on quickly. He's seen more fakes than most of the authenticators, and can at least explain why or why not items are questionable. At that point leaving it up to the buyer to decide.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:

Couldn't agree more and I have refunded items before, no questions asked after a year.

BTW, love your name, one of my favorite episodes

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-11-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Larry More.y

I sell off a fair number of my duplicates.....about once a month I try to delete the scans that are a year+ or older from my hard drive. Several years ago, my hard drive crashed....all of the images I had stored were unable to be accessed.

So, if after 3 years someone who purchased a (non-graded) card decides to return it, how can a seller verify that the card being returned is the same one sold if no scan is not available due to the "extreme" length of time that has passed?

Is it reasonable to expect a seller to keep every scan of every card they sell in their lifetime just in case a return comes up 2-5 years down the road?

What is a reasonable amount of time that a seller should maintain scans of items sold in order to verify a return?

Is it fair for a seller to take a return back that can't be verified by the scan used to sell it?

Not sure if any of this applies to this situation or not...... either way, 3 years is too long for any reasonable buyer to expect to be able to return an item.

Finally, I also have a HOFer's auto that was signed one day when he was in a hurry and it appears NOTHING like ANY other of his autos I have ever seen....
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Although I have never sold anything here or on E-Bay before, I believe there is a lesson to be learned here, and that is, every seller, no matter how big or how small, should clearly state in their posts/ads, how long their return policy is.

I was going to say 3 months but like, Ted, mentioned, it took him 3 months for an authentication so I don't think 6 months is unreasonable.

I know many know each other here, but despite that, it should still be clearly stated and adhered too.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Paul

I know both of the people in this thread and think they're both top notch. They should be able to work it out privately. But, as a collector of signed pre-war cards I would never -- really never -- buy or trade anywhere near full market for a signed T206 that doesn't have full authenticity from SGC, PSA, Beckett, or JSA. When I picked up my latest find, I paid over $1,000 to have JSA and SGC both and separately authenticate them before sending the seller a penny. Wouldn't have done the deal otherwise.

Guys who are comfortable dealing in raw autographs these days are just asking for this kind of trouble. You may know what you have is real, but it really doesn't matter anymore if you ever plan to part with your items.

I can't imagine buying a raw signed T206 card without an explicit -- in writing -- understanding as to authenticity and a timeline for a potential return. And if I were to sell or trade an unauthenticated signed T206, I'd give the buyer a written understanding of my return policy every time.

In this dispute, I have to side with Jason. If I acquired an unauthenticated signed card and hoped to return it if it failed authentication I would have gotten it reviewed in days not weeks, months or years. And if I tried to return it after this period of time, I would be coming as apologetically and politely as I am humanly capable of.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I know both of the people in this thread and think they're both top notch. They should be able to work it out privately. But, as a collector of signed pre-war cards I would never -- really never -- buy or trade anywhere near full market for a signed T206 that doesn't have full authenticity from SGC, PSA, Beckett, or JSA. When I picked up my latest find, I paid over $1,000 to have JSA and SGC both and separately authenticate them before sending the seller a penny. Wouldn't have done the deal otherwise.

Guys who are comfortable dealing in raw autographs these days are just asking for this kind of trouble. You may know what you have is real, but it really doesn't matter anymore if you ever plan to part with your items.

I can't imagine buying a raw signed T206 card without an explicit -- in writing -- understanding as to authenticity and a timeline for a potential return. And if I were to sell or trade an unauthenticated signed T206, I'd give the buyer a written understanding of my return policy every time.

In this dispute, I have to side with Jason. If I acquired an unauthenticated signed card and hoped to return it if it failed authentication I would have gotten it reviewed in days not weeks, months or years. And if I tried to return it after this period of time, I would be coming as apologetically and politely as I am humanly capable of.

Paul,

I appreciate your response and always respect your opinion.

Unfortunately this won't get settled privately as he's shown an unwillingness to respond to my emails and only replying to this thread "because he felt like he needed to."

So, you don't have a problem with his lies? You don't have a problem with him lying about them being wife signed (they are)? You don't have a problem that he lied saying the OWNER OF JSA said these were good (when they aren't)? Why not get them authenticated himself then if they were good? Or, is he just massaging the truth. You don't have a problem with him saying that I can trade or return it if I am uncomfortable with it (as I've shown)? Granted, there was no time frame.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:

Paul I also respect your opinion, but the problem is he said he would have paid him back, had he been respected better. That is poor ethically right there.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Default The reply I said I wouldn't give

I realize I'm replying when I said I wouldn't, but I think a few things need to be clarified.

First, Brent fails to mention that the Faber 33 Goudey came with a JSA auction house LOA, which I mailed him at the time of the trade.

Second, Brent messaged me on December 23, 2014 and informed me that someone had told him the Faber W517 was wife signed. Everyone has now seen my response, and I did offer to replace the card or send some cash his way if he wasn't comfortable with the Faber. Brent responded that same day and stated "I love the card and I have no issues with it. I recall we've talked about this card before. I totally trust you and have no problem what so ever. I just love the card, will go nicely with my Rousch." Brent emailed again on December 30, 2014, to tell me he received the cards. He wrote, "Got the cards Saturday, just amazing! So happy with them, thank you!"

I would have gladly reworked the deal at that point if Brent was uncomfortable with the Faber, but he clearly declined that offer. I never offered any type of guarantee that the card would pass authentication, and Brent never requested such a guarantee.

Brent and I have made dozens of deals in the past, and I have to assume the rest of the cards he obtained from me passed authentication since they aren't referenced in this thread.

If Brent had emailed explaining the situation and requesting that we work something out, I would have been much more willing to help resolve the situation. Brent may say his email wasn't demanding, but emailing out of the blue over two years later and stating "how should we go about refunding and returning?" sounds pretty demanding to me.

I hope this clarified my position a bit. I agree that I shouldn't have stated that I would have given him a refund had he been less demanding, as that may not be a true statement. I can say that I would have at least given it more consideration at that point. I suppose one good thing to come from this is that I know never to deal with Brent again. I'm sure he won't voice any objection to that.

Jason
Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I 100% agree with this.
Please note that bnorth agreed with something i said. I will save this post for posterity.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Dan Bretta

I personally would never try to return something 2-3 years after a deal had been made. If you are dealing in autographs that you think you need an opinion from a professional the courteous thing to do is to do it right away when you receive the item so a return is much easier if it fails authentication.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Of course I was happy and excited about the cards, I had no reason to worry at the time as I trusted you. Which I said multiple times and you never replied about. I wonder if that was a red flag, along with Simmons. A year prior, you tried selling it to me for $2,500. Why half off and sell it to me for $1,250? Is it because you knew it was not authentic and you were just passing it along to the next guy? Just like your bad ones of Bottomley and Hornsby that you tried selling me?

I'd be glad to pay to have Richard or Jim look at these and offer their opinions. I have in the past on cards you've offered to me, that failed from their perspective.

And yes, I do apologize for me being better in my original email. I admit that I certainly could have worked it better.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:48 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

oops wrong thread

Last edited by Paul S; 03-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I personally would never try to return something 2-3 years after a deal had been made. If you are dealing in autographs that you think you need an opinion from a professional the courteous thing to do is to do it right away when you receive the item so a return is much easier if it fails authentication.

I agree for the most part. He was so adamant they were authentic that I trusted him (like I always had before) and had no reason to send them in. They (JSA) happened to be in town so I thought it would be convenient to finally get them done, along with others. I thought he would be willing and easy to do a return with as I sure as hell would have in the same circumstances.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Interesting little factoid

I bought an expensive card privately and the seller said " i dont know if its real, let me know what psa says"

The card fails psa

Seller didnt specifically offer a guarantee, although he offered it to me as an " autographed card" when it was not.It was now defaced, and worth less than an unsigned card.

My counsel lost in court, since he had said "he didnt know"

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 03-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Who's lifetime? What if the buyer lives longer than you--can he get a refund from your estate?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:

Yes. Really. If it happened the way you state, that is correct.

Friend? Do you guys go to the movies together? Bowling? Drink beers. Visit on the weekends when you have down time? Would he watch your dog for you if you went away?

What is your definition of a friend? Most people I know are simply acquaintances that when the rubber meets the road don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves. I have few real friends. Ones that would help me bury a body should I need assistance. Ones that would let me stay at their house until I got on my feet.

The world is full of people that befriend someone so that they trust them only to turn around and blatantly rip them off. Don't you ever watch American Greed on CNBC? There are people that rip off their own family. Why is everyone so disappointed when trust is broken? Why do you think that it can't happen to you. Apparently by your account it did.

No offense, but your anger is laughable. Assume that you can trust no one, even the people you consider friends, and this will never happen to you. As long as you think you can trust anyone, you are susceptible to be ripped off.

Street smarts guy....STREET SMARTS.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-11-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:

Friend? Do you guys go to the movies together? Bowling? Drink beers. Visit on the weekends when you have down time? Would he watch your dog for you if you went away?

What is your definition of a friend? Most people I know are simply acquaintances that when the rubber meets the road don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves. I have few real friends. Ones that would help me bury a body should I need assistance. Ones that would let me stay at their house until I got on my feet.

The world is full of people that befriend someone so that they trust them only to turn around and blatantly rip them off. Don't you ever watch American Greed on CNBC? There are people that rip off their own family. Why is everyone so disappointed when trust is broken? Why do you think that it can't happen to you. Apparently by your account it did.

No offense, but your anger is laughable. Assume that you can trust no one, even the people you consider friends, and this will never happen to you. As long as you think you can trust anyone, you are susceptible to be ripped off.

Abbott,

I don't know Brent or Jason so I cannot comment on their friendship. However, I do 100% agree with your assessment of friend vs. acquaintance.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that a seller should accommodate. Waiting 1, 2 3 or more years to send it away then asking for a refund is not one of the. Waiting and proving the time frame is out of your hands due to mailing or other factors is much more understandable.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:

Oh get off your high horse lol. I guess Phillip Abbott is damn near perfect, who knew.

What is my definition of a friend? Well, mine certainly includes relationships that aren't only face to face and can come over to watch your house. I guess only true friends are the ones that will watch your dog. I have plenty of board members whom I view as friends (hi Chuck) and have had great personal conversations with. But since it's online and I've never met them face to face, they aren't my friend, according to you. And yes, if I dropped dead I certainly would entrust some of these board members to help sell my collection.

Anger laughable? Ok...I actually think my anger has been pretty good compared with what I actually want to say .
Old 03-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that a seller should accommodate. Waiting 1, 2 3 or more years to send it away then asking for a refund is not one of the. Waiting and proving the time frame is out of your hands due to mailing or other factors is much more understandable.

True, to an extent. But this is largely opinionated as others, including myself, have said that we have refunded an item that sold over a year ago.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Oh get off your high horse lol. I guess Phillip Abbott is damn near perfect, who knew.

What is my definition of a friend? Well, mine certainly includes relationships that aren't only face to face and can come over to watch your house. I guess only true friends are the ones that will watch your dog. I have plenty of board members whom I view as friends (hi Chuck) and have had great personal conversations with. But since it's online and I've never met them face to face, they aren't my friend, according to you. And yes, if I dropped dead I certainly would entrust some of these board members to help sell my collection.

Anger laughable? Ok...I actually think my anger has been pretty good compared with what I actually want to say .
I am not perfect, but I understand how the world functions and have some basic street smarts. Feel free to continue trusting everyone. We will await your next "I got ripped off" post.

Anger laughable. Yes, I am laughing at the fact that you got angry over something you could have easily prevented. No offense, he handed you a shovel and you dug this whole all on your own. You could have easily not trusted him, sent it in long ago and requested it be corrected right then and there and most likely have met less resistance.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
True, to an extent. But this is largely opinionated as others, including myself, have said that we have refunded an item that sold over a year ago.
Yes. It comes down to a few factors. Most people like to believe when they sell something, if they are genuine about what they sell, that items are sold as is and they can walk away from it without a never ending responsibility to it after it leaves their hands.

If you were to sell a car, would you want to keep getting text messages from the guy that bought it every time it needs some work? A lot of people sell things to absolve themselves from it.

If you misrepresent an item intentionally, then all rules are out the window. You deserve to be on the hook forever if someone comes back.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:27 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

To me both people in this conflict come out not looking terribly well which is too bad.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
I am not perfect, but I understand how the world functions and have some basic street smarts. Feel free to continue trusting everyone. We will await your next "I got ripped off" post.

Anger laughable. Yes, I am laughing at the fact that you got angry over something you could have easily prevented. No offense, he handed you a shovel and you dug this whole all on your own. You could have easily not trusted him, sent it in long ago and requested it be corrected right then and there and most likely have met less resistance.

I have plenty of knowledge of this cruel world and plenty of street smarts; but that doesn't mean I trust everyone nor don't trust anyone. I certainly trust people, but I NEVER trust anyone 100%. Never. Not my wife, best friend, parents etc . But that's not to say I didn't trust him.

Could it have easily been prevented? Yes and no. What if he said no still back then? I'm certainly not saying I could have done a better job on my end. Like I said previously, I had no dire need or desire to send them out. They were in town and thought it was,convenient so why not.

LOL, there is no hole. If I had not trusted him then why would I trust he would give me a return then?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
We will await your next "I got ripped off" post.

And, eagerly await my next rip off post? Who is this "we" you speak of. Haha yes, cause in the 10 years I've been collecting this is the first one I've ever started for this. Better get your popcorn ready for 2027!!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Paul

Quote:
So, you don't have a problem with his lies? You don't have a problem with him lying about them being wife signed (they are)? You don't have a problem that he lied saying the OWNER OF JSA said these were good (when they aren't)? Why not get them authenticated himself then if they were good? Or, is he just massaging the truth. You don't have a problem with him saying that I can trade or return it if I am uncomfortable with it (as I've shown)? Granted, there was no time frame.
I just think this aspect of the dispute is not really subject to an objective review - these are disputed facts. On the undisputed facts, I can't imagine trying to return cards in the time frame you were working in.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
I just think this aspect of the dispute is not really subject to an objective review - these are disputed facts. On the undisputed facts, I can't imagine trying to return cards in the time frame you were working in.

Got it, thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

What many people seem to be missing is that what's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. No matter the time limit. I have bought and sold autographs along with other memorabilia for over 30 years and have never left someone hanging if an issue like this pops up. These issues come up and as a seller, you are representing something as authentic when it is sold. Even if I don't agree with what PSA or JSA say, I would still refund their money or make it right.

On a side note, and hopefully I am not speaking out of turn, at this same show Brent attended I was speaking with a friend and colleague in the autograph business. He informed me that he recently had an item fail authentication that was sold by Jim Stinson many many years ago, but still had the invoice that he kept with all of his personal collection. He contacted Jim and without hesitation, Jim issued him a full refund, fully explained the situation that led to how he picked up the item, and took responsibility for the situation. A highly commendable move on his part that I thought was worth sharing.

In the end, I think making the deal right is what's right. It will be hard given the words exchanged, but I think taking responsibility is the right thing to do.