NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2016, 09:24 AM
N
Banned

Default Am I sunk? PayPal claim not going my way.

Hey all. Woke up this morning with a lovely negative balance of 50.00 subtracted to my account. Apparently, a buyer had been unhappy because he "received no product from me", even though I shipped out on the first of December.
I guess the package has been lost? Shouldn't the buyer have taken this up with USPS? Either way, I have been on hold with PayPal for about 10 minutes in hopes of reaching the right person to help me with this case. Any tips or suggestions?
NJ
Old 12-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Does your package have a tracking number? You may be able to prove that you shipped it.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
Does your package have a tracking number? You may be able to prove that you shipped it.
Yes, I have it here (shipped through PayPal):

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...99937115665312
Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Can you research the tracking Number to see if it indicates the current location of the package? (Careful, the USPS can be "a tad pokey" about updating this info.)

But you may be able to use this info with PayPal to PROVE that you indeed DID ship the card.

IF there is confirmation by the USPS that they did deliver the package, that may be enough...good luck!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Kyle May

With the tracking number provided, this seems to point directly to USPS, and you should be in the clear.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM

your current battle is with USPS, until or unless, it actually gets delivered. If you have insurance on it, you will need to pursue that via USPS's policy.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Dan Bretta

Looks to me like USPS lost your package. Paypal won't care, they will take your money because it didn't get delivered. You need to take it up with USPS at this point.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Any tips or suggestions?
NJ
Easy. Don't take PayPal.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 AM
N
Banned

Appreciate the feedback, everyone. After speaking with Gabriella over at PayPal, she recommends taking things up with USPS to find the package. Essentially, once delivered, I get the funds returned to me...now to just wait 30 more minutes on the wait line for USPS

I'll contact my buyer and let him know the steps I am taking in order to resolve this. I just get surprised when I receive no messaging from the buyer, stating he/she is unhappy!
NJ
Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Easy. Don't take PayPal.
It is the shipper's responsibility to get the package to the buyer. He chooses the shipping company and has the option to purchase insurance. I hope you aren't saying that you should take someone's money and not deliver the product.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Default same situation

I recently had same situation happen to me. I sold card on eBay, buyer paid. Then I immediately sent it out with tracking number included. Two weeks later, I get an eBay "claim started" against me because buyer never received it. I am thinking WTF, I did everything I was supposed to do, and promptly. I too had money deducted and on hold at Paypal. Who now stands to lose? Buyer or Seller (me)? I went to Post Office to inquire and they basically told me NOTHING to do but wait, sorry charlie. Thankfully, a few days later the tracking showed now in continue route to buyer - and was infact delivered few days later. Whew! Ultimately if lost in mail, I honestly do not know what would happen next - who absorbs loss, buyer or seller. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

2 comments...one good and one not so good:

1) I have posted many times in the past how to get a package going again in the USPS website....sign up for the email updates. For some reason this works really well. Any packages that I have had delayed magically show up when doing this.

2) The buyer is savvy and realized that the package was delivered without being scanned. He started a claim knowing that the package will never show up.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2016, 10:20 AM

It is the sellers responsibility to get a package delivered to the buyer. If a package gets lost in transit or does not arrive it is solely the sellers responsibility to contact shipping or refund the buyer their money. As described, you are not in the right on this claim and unless you can get the package found and delivered you will be out the money.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
It is the sellers responsibility to get a package delivered to the buyer. If a package gets lost in transit or does not arrive it is solely the sellers responsibility to contact shipping or refund the buyer their money. As described, you are not in the right on this claim and unless you can get the package found and delivered you will be out the money.
Sean is 100% correct. With thousands of transactions on eBay with Paypal, I have found the package MUST show as delivered or you are out the money. No way around it. I have heard stories that even delivered packages have resulted in a refund if the buyer says "well, it may have been delivered, but I never got it." You hope people don't try and pull that but it has happened. Contacting USPS is your only recourse at this point. Most packages are automatically insured for $50 so you might still come out even in the end.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:44 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Most packages are automatically insured for $50 so you might still come out even in the end.
This is true if the package was shipped priority mail. It looks like this one was shipped first class. If the shipper didn't buy insurance, there is none. That being said, I hate that the post office wants people to pay for insurance to insure that their job is done correctly.
James
Old 12-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
This is true if the package was shipped priority mail. It looks like this one was shipped first class. If the shipper didn't buy insurance, there is none. That being said, I hate that the post office wants people to pay for insurance to insure that their job is done correctly.
James
To collect on postal insurance for a one hundred year old baseball card can be quite difficult. I've been told that unless you have a third party appraisal of the value, it's just a 25 cent baseball card. The same rules apply to all antiques.

I generally let others subsidize the post office through their insurance program.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
N
Banned

A spark of good news this morning in the case - I was able to reach Paul at USPS . He helped me file out a missing mail request and gave me some tips as to what action I should take. The odds of nobody scanning the package even when it made it to Massachusetts would be astronomical. The buyer is on board, so I think (barring no more incidents) I am on the right path here.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Default What should you do

So what does the seller do to make sure they are not responsible once shipped? From what you all say, a tracking number is not enough. Do you folks most ship normal first class and just hope it gets to destination? Or ALWAYS priority mail it? Or do you always buy additional insurance - even if only $50. coverage? What does big sellers like Probstein or PWCC do - say, on a $100. to $300. item - do they insure it - or just let it fly first class - or Priority it for the minimal $50. insurance?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
2 comments...one good and one not so good:

1) I have posted many times in the past how to get a package going again in the USPS website....sign up for the email updates. For some reason this works really well. Any packages that I have had delayed magically show up when doing this.

2) The buyer is savvy and realized that the package was delivered without being scanned. He started a claim knowing that the package will never show up.

Good luck.

Jeff
I have also found signing up for email update magically works most times.

As far as #2 some sellers send empty boxes to the correct address. On eBay there is bad buyers and sellers. They are few and far between but it really sucks when you run across one.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Sean is 100% correct. With thousands of transactions on eBay with Paypal, I have found the package MUST show as delivered or you are out the money. No way around it. I have heard stories that even delivered packages have resulted in a refund if the buyer says "well, it may have been delivered, but I never got it." You hope people don't try and pull that but it has happened.

Yup, I have had that happen a few times over the years. Oftentimes Paypal would pay out on those anyways to keep a customer happy, but luckily it came out of their till, and not mine.

I wonder with the Paypal split from Ebay, whether they would even do THAT anymore.

I've also had a few cases where the package showed delivered, and the person on the other end insisted they never got it. Well, it's amazing how many of those magically get found in an unexplored portion of the house when you return reply with the phrase "OK, I will file a stolen package report with your local post office then, since stealing mail is a Federal crime".

Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
So what does the seller do to make sure they are not responsible once shipped? From what you all say, a tracking number is not enough. Do you folks most ship normal first class and just hope it gets to destination? Or ALWAYS priority mail it? Or do you always buy additional insurance - even if only $50. coverage? What does big sellers like Probstein or PWCC do - say, on a $100. to $300. item - do they insure it - or just let it fly first class - or Priority it for the minimal $50. insurance?
For IIB, packages under $200 are self insured. Everything above $200 is insured with a $200 deductible.

It is not economical to insure small packages.

I am actually familiar with a large seller that has no insurance whatsoever.

Last edited by Sean1125; 12-28-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Sean Costello

Large sellers usually require that the package is signed for, not just "delivered."
Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Bry@n

If you ship a lot/ship expensive cards you might consider private insurance as you can pay a huge portion of your annual premium in saved insurance costs that you no longer have to pay to USPS/UPS/FedEx. Not to mention you get the benefit of covering your entire collection every day of the year.

With this insurance you never need to buy any when you ship, you only need to follow the carrier and signature requirements stated by the company (which are based on the value of the item you send). I, and I think many others on the board, use these guys (https://collectinsure.com/). If you lost $50 it wouldn't be worth making a claim b/c, if memory serves, that is the deductible, so in this case you would probably be SOL.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Send everything certified. Never had a problem.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I recently sold a marble chess set on ebay and sent it through Paypal USPS. The trailer the package was in burned up. I thought the buyer had buyers remorse and checked it out only to find it was true. Waiting on confirmation of refund and Paypal has the funds on hold in right now. Who would have believed.

Shameless plug, current auction ends tomorrow. :-)

Happy Holidays Everyone,

Lee Behrens

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 12-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Bry@n

For expensive items I also slowly film all sides of the box and then open it on camera. Perhaps a little paranoid, but I'll be damned if someone is going to send me an 87 Topps Jim Gantner when I am expecting Cy Young.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
For expensive items I also slowly film all sides of the box and then open it on camera. Perhaps a little paranoid, but I'll be damned if someone is going to send me an 87 Topps Jim Gantner when I am expecting Cy Young.
This is also a good idea if you are a seller and a buyer requests a refund and sends your items back to you. You do not want to deal with the old switcharoo.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2016, 06:13 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
One seller sent my card in a toploader, sealed with a "tamper seal" sticker inscribed "not returnable if seal is broken." However, before applying the sticker the seller stuck his business card inside, so there was no way for me to inspect the card without breaking the seal to remove the business card.

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 12-28-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
One seller sent my card in a toploader, sealed with a "tamper seal" sticker inscribed "not returnable if seal is broken."
That's borderline sleazy. I don't find that good business at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
One seller sent my card in a toploader, sealed with a "tamper seal" sticker inscribed "not returnable if seal is broken." However, before applying the sticker the seller stuck his business card inside, so there was no way for me to inspect the card without breaking the seal to remove the business card.

The seller can put that ridiculous seal on the top loader, but it can certainly be returned.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
The seller can put that ridiculous seal on the top loader, but it can certainly be returned.
Larry Fritch Cards used to do the same thing with the seal (but not the business card). They told me that they did so so that people couldn't replace the card with a similar card in lesser condition and return the inferior card, claiming that it was the card that they had received and demanding a full refund. I never had a problem with one of their cards, so I never asked to return one.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Not that it really matters since the card can be returned if seal is broken. But here are 2 alternate solutions:

Cut the other end open, seal is intact

Buy a package of tamper-resistant seals and replace.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Teddy is a long-time friend of mine (I even went to his wedding back in the day) so I'm sure he has a logical reason for doing that. Nothing nefarious in what he does

Rich
Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Teddy is a long-time friend of mine (I even went to his wedding back in the day) so I'm sure he has a logical reason for doing that. Nothing nefarious in what he does

Rich
He could be your friend but check out his feedback. I have seen him called out over on BO for sending out empty packages and other shady things several times. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...-bgs-card.html
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Rich Klein

I sent him a copy of that thread as an FYI
Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Bill Avery

Not trying to high jack the thread, but I won an auction on Tuesday. The seller has not taken the payment yet and the scans of the card are clearly 2 different cards. Should I just cancel the payment now or wait a little longer and hope I can get my money back if he ever claims the payment?

The auction is here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Je...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by Bill77; 12-29-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
John €ffenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Not trying to high jack the thread, but I won an auction on Tuesday. The seller has not taken the payment yet and the scans of the card are clearly 2 different cards. Should I just cancel the payment now or wait a little longer and hope I can get my money back if he ever claims the payment?

The auction is here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Je...p2047675.l2557
Why don't you just wait and see what you receive? The scans could have been an honest mistake.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I sent him a copy of that thread as an FYI
Send him these too:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...j-say-all.html

He has also been regularly accused on BO for selling fake autographs by consignment.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Bill Avery

I think I just found the front scan of the card on Bob Lemke's blog. http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2014/11...ge-landis.html
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Sean Costello

It does appear to be the same card.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default NJ

Hi NJ, I tried to get more info on your package when I was at work today. It looks like it went through the parcel handling center in Oak Creek, WI and then totally disappeared. I can't find any info at all on this package after it arrived at Oak Creek. That tracking number should have showed up somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:43 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi NJ, I tried to get more info on your package when I was at work today. It looks like it went through the parcel handling center in Oak Creek, WI and then totally disappeared. I can't find any info at all on this package after it arrived at Oak Creek. That tracking number should have showed up somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere.

Rick
Hi Mr. Rick--thank you for taking a look. I have lowered my expectations to rock bottom, so (in a good way ) I'm not waiting around for the package to show. Paid a little tuition to learn something, but I'm grateful it wasn't a $500 card!
Cheers,
NJ
Old 12-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Never say never!

I once lost some cards in Oak Creek for three weeks that I feared were sunk.
They found me upon surfacing.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Never say never!

I once lost some cards in Oak Creek for three weeks that I feared were sunk.
They found me upon surfacing.
If my memory is correct we(Frank and I) had one that was lost for a short time. I can also say that I have had packages lost for up to 45 days with members including one with Leon that took about a month going each way. Can give the USPS a big thumbs up on never losing a single one of my packages. They have taken several weeks to deliver 100's of them though.