NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Fred

Default 1919 White Sox team issue cards

Is anyone trying to complete a 1919 White Sox team issued set? It was issued as a 25 card set and it is listed in the Standard Catalog. The cards are 1-11/16 x 2-3/4. Is it a very difficult set to complete?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Is anyone trying to complete a 1919 White Sox team issued set? It was issued as a 25 card set and it is listed in the Standard Catalog. The cards are 1-11/16 x 2-3/4. Is it a very difficult set to complete?
It's going to be tough since there is only one known set and as far as I know it has not been broken up.

Last edited by Leon; 06-12-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Fred

Are these cards "scarce"? The reason I ask is because I have a chance to pick up a few. No, nothing close to a set and none of the "big" names are there. However, there is a Comiskey.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
D@vid Fel@

As leon said there is only one known set. That would make them about as scarce as the alpha photo engraving cards. I would be cautious about buying singles since i do not believe the set was ever broken up.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Run away

This set was reprinted. As for originals, as far as I am aware, there is only one known set, with no known singles. Even if there are some singles extant, they would be extremely scarce. The chance to "pick up a few" is incredibly remote, unless of course they are the reprints, which appear in set form on ebay from time to time and therefore could of course be broken up into singles.

IMO, the chances of you acquiring authentic singles from this set are negligible, but I would love to be wrong.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default was there only ever one set made?

Whenever I pass by this set in the SCD I've wondered why I have never once seen a single card from it anywhere. I guess this explains it-- and yet not really. Todd and/or Leon, can you give us any more info? How can it be known for sure that only set exists, and no singles? Is there hobby lore you can share?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Barry Sloate

Tim- the set was sold to Copeland intact and was offered by Sotheby's the same way. That's the early history of it- don't recall if it has sold publicly since.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Whenever I pass by this set in the SCD I've wondered why I have never once seen a single card from it anywhere. I guess this explains it-- and yet not really. Todd and/or Leon, can you give us any more info? How can it be known for sure that only set exists, and no singles? Is there hobby lore you can share?
It is always better to say "known" when guessing the population of pre-war cards, and I almost always do . Unless we know positively how many were produced, and those are all accounted for, then we really don't know for sure how many there are. There is a bit of lore though in that at least one very, very experienced collecting pioneer doesn't think the set is from 1919. I forget exactly what he told me but he was fairly adamant it wasn't from 1919. I bet I get an email a month where the person describes these reprints and fakes, and asks if they are real. I usually tell them they have a better chance of winning the lottery than what they have is real. One can only dream........

Last edited by Leon; 06-12-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Fred

I bought them - They look real but.....

Last edited by Fred; 06-12-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Fred

I don't have the specs for the reprint set issued in 1992. What size were those cards?

I don't have a standard catalog of cards that has the reprint set listed because I generally tear out the new section of the catalog (so it's not so heavy to carry around).

If these cards are fake then someone really knows what they're doing to make the cards look aged.

Who knows, I probably dropped a few bucks on some cards that are probably reprints.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ya' never know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I don't have the specs for the reprint set issued in 1992. What size were those cards?

I don't have a standard catalog of cards that has the reprint set listed because I generally tear out the new section of the catalog (so it's not so heavy to carry around).

If these cards are fake then someone really knows what they're doing to make the cards look aged.

Who knows, I probably dropped a few bucks on some cards that are probably reprints.
Ya' never know Fred. Maybe you are the lucky one to find a Wags in grandpa's attic.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Bob Lemke

Default It's actually a 1917 set

Some years back it was determined this was a 1917 set. The big book says it sold in 1991 for $45,100; in 1997 for $46,000 and in 2001 for $50,330.

Greg Manning reprinted the set in 1992. The reprints are 2" x 3", slightly bigger than the 1-11/16" x 2-3/4" originals. The banned players' reprint cards have a black frame added to the front and some data and stats on back. Manning also issued a colorized Joe Jackson.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards