NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Jay Cee

Kevin Long and I played on the same team for many years growing up. We both played basketball and baseball together. He was a good minor league baseball player and turned into a great hitting coach for the New York Yankees and now NY Mets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3423.JPG (19.3 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by BeanTown; 12-19-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 AM
Bob M

In '67 at fifteen years old, my Colt League team had on its roster "Stormin'" Gorman Thomas (he was sixteen at the time I believe) and a future #1 pick of the Phillies Mike Martin (Jerry's younger brother). Gorman was a man among boys. He launched mammoth, towering shots well over the 375 sign in left center. Martin tossed one or two-hitters on a regular basis and hit his share of homers over the right field wall at fifteen years old.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Jay Cee

Another good friend of mine I compete against in "fantasy" sports is Josh Goldfield. He played for a couple of MLB teams as a catcher. Now, He is great instructor for youth baseball players in Cali and owns MVP sports. Plus he is a scout for the Braves as he lef my beloved Red Sox a couple years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3424.JPG (36.0 KB, 334 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:43 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Played HS football against Tom ("Tommy" back then) Brady, and a handful of lesser known guys who had varying length NFL careers.

One of our football coaches back then was a hard nosed former Niner fullback, Larry Schreiber, whose playing claim to fame had been scoring 3 TDs against the Cowboys in the playoffs as they built a huge lead, only to see Roger Staubach enter the game and lead a crazy 4th quarter comeback. My QB coach was Don Bunce who had initially backed up Plunkett, then led Stanford to a Rose Bowl win against Michingan as a senior.

I went to elementary and middle school with, and played against MLBers Eric Byrnes and John Gall, and crossed paths with a handful of others. Another friend from our little school bounced around a few NFL camps and played in the XFL.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default summer of 1989

My high school summer team from Indianapolis advanced to a regional tournament where we played against Moeller HS in Cincinnati. I know David Bell was on that team and Buddy was in the stands.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Todd Jenkins

Played against Kelvin Torve who had a short stint with the Mets and Twins in baseball. Coached against Chad Greenway, Ben Lieber and Brock Lesnar. In fact, I coached a kid (Chad Duenwald) who beat Brock Lesnar in high school wrestling and Chad is now my next door neighbor. Chad Greenway was tremendous all around athlete!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 12-19-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins View Post
Played against Kelvin Torve who had a short stint with the Mets and Twins in baseball. Coached against Chad Greenway, Ben Lieber and Brock Lesnar. In fact, I coached a kid (Chad Duenwald) who beat Brock Lesnar in high school wrestling and Chad is now my next door neighbor. Chad Greenway was tremendous all around athlete!

Everybody in Clark is your next door neighbor.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

"Played" HS Football with Jason Taylor (DE with the Dolphins/Redskins/Jets). I use the term "played" loosely as I never made varsity and he was a year older.

He was a tall and skinny TE in high school. I don't think he even played defense. My high school was known for it's football program and I wouldn't even say he was a top-10 player on the team. Everybody was surprised when he got a full ride to a D1 school (Akron). They must have saw something in him. Four years later, he was 100 lbs. bigger and a 3rd round draft pick. Now, he's a potential HOFer.

Last edited by VoodooChild; 12-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I don't know if this counts or not, but I played video pong (pre Nintendo days for those who aren't old enough to remember) with Bobby Nystrom (NY Islanders) when I was 13. He let me score 20 points before he scored 21 straight to beat me.

When I was 15 I worked in a racquetball club and played doubles a bunch of times with some of the NY Islanders that belonged to the club.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Derek G.

Nothing for me. But my late neighbor played a short game of ball as a kid with Honus Wagner when he was in Boston. Said the guys hands were enormous! And that he was very nice to the kids...
Old 12-19-2016, 06:20 PM
John

Default Pulaski High School

My brother was a senior in high school, he played center on the football team.
We had a tenth grader on the team named Willie "Sonny" Hall. He later went to USC and became the MVP in 1970. He then had a huge game in the Super Bowl with John Madden's Oakland Raiders against the Minnesota Vikings.

john
Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Jimmy

Tim an Matt Hasselback
Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Rick

3rd base coach of the Brewers
Old 12-19-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
3rd base coach of the Brewers
Ed Sedar?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Played in an all star tourney against Jerry's Stackhouse.
Played baseball against Troy Nixon

Last edited by campyfan39; 12-19-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:45 AM

Played baseball and basketball against Anthony Fasano. It wasn't even fair. He had 100 pounds on everybody it seemed even before high school. It was fun watching him play football through high school. He'd run right through a smaller CB then come in and punt 60 yards a few plays later.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Johnnie LeMaster's little brother. I know. Johnnie LeMaster would have barely counted.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Brendan Mullen

I hit a HR off of Tim Hudson in college when he played for Auburn.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Mike

My High School/Travel Baseball and College Days were from 1986 to 1989 High school and 1990 to 1994 for College in New York City.
I played with
Allen Watson(NY Mets.) on Travel Team
And against College (He played at NY Tech)

Played Against
Steve Karsay Christ The King High School (Blue Jays and Yankees)Travel Baseball
Manny Ramirez George Washington High School (Indians) High School All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium and Travel Baseball.
Also play with and against 10 other players who were drafted and played Minor League Baseball. I was a starting pitcher at Martin Van Buren High School for 4 years then, became a relief pitcher for 4 years for a Division 1 program at Hofstra University. Great Memories

Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 12-20-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Bob Lanier, intramural table tennis semifinals. Couldn't compete with his reach.
St. Bonaventure alum? I am class of 2000.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I played in a summer basketball camp against Joe Forte, who went on to be drafted in the first round by the Boston Celtics (and surprisingly only played a very short two years in the NBA) as well as former NBA lottery pick Adonal Foyle. Foyle could throw an outlet pass like no one I have ever seen. He could make a pass the entire length of the court like he was passing to someone five feet away.

I used to guard Billy McCaffrey (won a title at Duke, two time all american at Vandy) in pickup games. He barely tried and made me look very silly.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Ed Sedar?
Yes, same home town, high school, youth baseball league, gym classes.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Jim "Bulldog" Bouton STILL pitches for my Vintage Baseball team.

Last year he threw a complete 9 inning game.

The first picture is from a couple of years ago when he played for a different team. The second picture is me getting a single off of him in the same game.
thats pretty awesome.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
I played in a summer basketball camp against Joe Forte,
At first I thought you meant Joe Forte, the referee! All 5'4" of him
Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Rich Klein

In a 3 on 3 pickup basketball game near Columbia, I had the "honor" of guarding Beasley Reese (Sic) of the New York Football Giants. He mercifully took it pretty easy on me but was by far the best player on the court.

In a softball game when I was at Beckett, one of the opposing team's best hitters was Dave Hostleter. I tell you, 10 years after his major league career ended, he bashed 3 homers against us.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-20-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Mike Mattsey

Held Dan Dakich to 2-3 in a rec league softball game 25 years ago or so.

Played in a pickup football game against Trent Green in college. I stepped in front of one of his passes for an easy pick six, and dropped the ball...
Old 12-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Played pickup ice hockey...yes I said hockey with The Spaceman Bill Lee while he was living in Montreal...

I held the record for high school discus in my city for 19 years...then a guy named Jason Tunks comes along and breaks my record and goes on to become Canada's best ever Olympic and Commonwealth games discus man.

Played on the same championship youth football team as a 12 year old (1968) with Mike Boland who played briefly with the Buffalo Sabres of the N.H.L.

Last edited by unclefester; 12-21-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 AM
thomas c killeen

Default Eric Fernsten former NBA

Summer League playoff game, much to my dismay I'm to guard Eric Fernsten. Talked with Eric before the game, told him I would go for any clean plays I could see. Basically agreed not to hack him. Yes we lost, although went pretty good. After the game he said he was pleased with the sportsmanship, and invited myself and my girlfriend to a party at his house. Was hesitant at first and went for it. Upon arrival we were to meet about five Celtics, and Bruins players. Apparently they had rented a house as a group in Winchester Ma. Stayed in touch with Eric for a few years, and negotiated my own contract lol. Basically caretaker of the house. Was bitter sweet experience as I realized how much separation there was from a pro to myself on that day. Played against a lot of talent, but that was my only direct match-up. Patrick Ewing is playing pick up and leaves the court as i had next game! so disappointing. He was playing for Cambridge Rindge and Latin, I was playing for North Cambridge Catholic. Trust me the guy is huge!
One super talented shows up one day. He was hands down the best ball handler, and passer. So i ask "Who do you play for?" He laughs and says "Croatian National team" Those were all in Boston. So many games in LA at Venice Beach, was just another level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric.jpg (12.8 KB, 168 views)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:39 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombocombo View Post
Summer League playoff game, much to my dismay I'm to guard Eric Fernsten. Talked with Eric before the game, told him I would go for any clean plays I could see. Basically agreed not to hack him. Yes we lost, although went pretty good. After the game he said he was pleased with the sportsmanship, and invited myself and my girlfriend to a party at his house. Was hesitant at first and went for it. Upon arrival we were to meet about five Celtics, and Bruins players. Apparently they had rented a house as a group in Winchester Ma. Stayed in touch with Eric for a few years, and negotiated my own contract lol. Basically caretaker of the house. Was bitter sweet experience as I realized how much separation there was from a pro to myself on that day. Played against a lot of talent, but that was my only direct match-up. Patrick Ewing is playing pick up and leaves the court as i had next game! so disappointing. He was playing for Cambridge Rindge and Latin, I was playing for North Cambridge Catholic. Trust me the guy is huge!
One super talented shows up one day. He was hands down the best ball handler, and passer. So i ask "Who do you play for?" He laughs and says "Croatian National team" Those were all in Boston. So many games in LA at Venice Beach, was just another level.
I can vouch for Patrick Ewing being enormous. I played against him about the same time. He wasn't quite 7 foot then, perhaps 6'10", but damn.... I even covered him for a quarter and a half until I fouled out. Our center broke one of his fingers attempting to stop Patrick on a power move to the hoop. I was 6'2" but was a strong leaper with longer arms than most guys my height. Our coach had no other alternative. I held my own, pissing him off with a clean blocked shot. I scored twice. One was a put back. The other was a spin back to the inside where I used the rim to prevent him blocking my shot. His team beat ours by double digits but it wasn't really that close.

I also played hoops against both Flutie brothers and a couple of Celtics. I ran Cross Country against Alberto Salazar.

Mark Fidrych struck me out three times in one game. I think he struck out 14 or 15 of us. I did hit a loud foul ball that came close to staying fair for extra bases. Funny, as the years pass, that foul ball grows louder and closer to the chalk.....
Old 12-21-2016, 06:24 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I was on an American Legion team in Doylestown (PA) in 1979 and one of my teammates was Kevin Ward, who would go to Quarterback at the University of Arizona and later had a brief career with the Padres. One of the teams we played was Souderton and faced Jamie Moyer (who struck me out a couple times & appeared throw harder then as opposed to when I saw him on TV at the end of his career...lol)
Old 12-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Andrew L@Vine

When I was in 7th grade, I played basketball against Jarret Payton, and after the game, Walter came down out of the stands and shook our hands...one of the strongest handshakes I have ever had
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4642-183Fr.jpg (17.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Mark Fidrych struck me out three times in one game. I think he struck out 14 or 15 of us. I did hit a loud foul ball that came close to staying fair for extra bases. Funny, as the years pass, that foul ball grows louder and closer to the chalk.....[/QUOTE]

Mike, what a great story! A couple more years, and this may be a fair ball !!!!!!

Last edited by KCRfan1; 12-21-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Duncan

I ran against Alberto Salazar (1982 Boston Marathon winner) in the 1975 Mass State XCountry Championship. He won that too. I saw his back as he took off and that was the end of it...
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Darin Erstad
Mark Kotsay
Troy Glaus
Todd Helton
Alex Cora
Billy Koch
Braden Looper
Kerry Robinson (teammate)
Jamie Carroll
Darond Stovall
AJ Hinch
Jacque Jones
Kris Benson
George Sherrill
beat Johnnie Lemaster (he coached) as a college pitcher
probably lots more from that time frame, but cannot remember.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Brad Pencil

Dustin Hermanson (baseball, basketball) & Curtis Enis (Football)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Kyl&.. L&ntin&

Default mike magnante

played against mike magnante in little league and school.. Have an all star program with both our names in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnante.jpg (34.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Bob Donaldson

Soccer against the King of Jordan. He was a prince at the time (1974)

My 6th grade soccer team drove out to western Mass to play Deerfield Acadamy. Don't remember much about the King, but I do remember all the Secret Service types surrounding the field
Old 12-21-2016, 04:50 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
My Dad and Babe Ruth went to different schools about 40 years apart. And to top that, I was born in the same country as Ty Cobb!! Also swam in the same ocean as Pam Anderson on Baywatch. Enough about my exciting life...........
Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
I ran against Alberto Salazar (1982 Boston Marathon winner) in the 1975 Mass State XCountry Championship. He won that too. I saw his back as he took off and that was the end of it...
Yup....my coach had me play "rabbit". I couldn't keep up with him for more than a fat quarter mile. I think he had grown a mustache and was shaving it off by the time I finished....
Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Pitched to Dan Wilson (Mariners) and Todd Hundley (Mets) back in High School.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Mike Witt (who struck me out on four pitches) had the best curve ball I'd ever seen. He went on to have a nice career, including a perfect game while pitching the Angels.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I batted against Jim Abbott when I played summer league ball. If I remember correctly he threw a two hitter against us, he had a rocket for an arm. A ton of good athletes come out of Flint Mi.....
Old 12-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Bob Davies

Default Hockey

Over the years in men's leagues, I've played against several Flames alumni. In the last league we played in (5 plus years ago), Sylvain Turgeon was a sniper. Previously played against some guys in the bigs, but when this guy had time and space, he could rifle a puck in a two inch space before I could even move (I'm a target). As fast a snap shot as I've ever seen at any level.

I coached my daughter's hockey team with an ex-NHLer when she was younger. He played every week with a bunch of NHL alumni in town. When I told him I played against Turgeon, and how amazing this guys shot was, he said "Bob, he's a sniper with our guys."

Currently in the league I'm in, Dennis Polonich once played with me, and now against me. Still a little uber competitive for a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds, and prone to the odd dirty trick. He's fun to stop though, as he gets pi$$ed off.

If you don't know the story of Polonich, check this out.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-brutal-attack

He told me he ended up getting over $700,000 for the incident from Paiement. I remember when this happened. Polo was never quite the same after that incident, as the story indicates... and any Red Wings fan of a certain age would know.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Who did you play sports WITH in those younger days?

Frank O'Rourke coached our High School BB team (Elizabeth, NJ) during the 1950's.

I played Right Field because I had a great glove, and a very strong and accurate arm. My hitting was intermittent. But, I got on base a lot due to Walks or Bunts.

TED Z
Old 12-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Hey, Ted at least got us a prewar card connection. He may be the winner!

Rob M
Old 12-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Hey, Ted at least got us a prewar card connection. He may be the winner!

Rob M
I agree, that is really neat.
Me, I played baseball for a short while at Bellaire High School in Texas. Our coach was Chuck Knaublach's dad, Ray.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Joel

In College as a MAC linemen

Big Ben
James Harrison
Greg Jennings
Larry Fitzgerald
Rex Grossman
and many others

In HS basketball

Jason Gardner-Arizona

Short stint with St Louis Rams teammates

T Holt
S Jackson
O Pace
Etc
Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhofmann View Post
In College as a MAC linemen

Big Ben
James Harrison
Greg Jennings
Larry Fitzgerald
Rex Grossman
and many others

In HS basketball

Jason Gardner-Arizona

Short stint with St Louis Rams teammates

T Holt
S Jackson
O Pace
Etc

So, you at least got a taste of that highest level of sports? That's pretty cool.

Rob M.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

In high school in Boise, Idaho I played baseball around 1993 against Jake Plummer, former NFL QB.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Default When I was younger...

I played a lot of little league and thought I was a decent player...When I tried out for my high school team, I had to hit against this pitcher who was a senior at the time...I soon realized, I was not that good...it was ugly...