NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Jason

Default A first for the collection...

a batting pose of my cousin...nice wire photo from 1938.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938LeeHandleyBattingWirePhoto.jpg (67.9 KB, 575 views)
Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Default That's a beautiful photo Jason!

Congrats on finding it. Which one is he?

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Jason

Default Jimmy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Congrats on finding it. Which one is he?

Best, Jimmy
My cousin is the one holding the bat in that photo.
His name is Lee Handley
I was very excited to find this one, as it is the first one I've ever seen where he's depicted in game action!

Last edited by JasonL; 03-13-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
My cousin is the one holding the bat in that photo.
His name is Lee Handley
I was very excited to find this one, as it is the first one I've ever seen where he's depicted in game action!
I had that one figured out Jason

I had remembered that there were two cousins and the reason I asked was this...

001.jpg

I found this one a few days ago while going through a 1993 set of Charles Conlon cards and wanted to make sure it was your cousin.

So if you don't already have it, and would like it, just PM me your address and I will send it along.

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Joe Hunter

Default March Pickups

Picked up this Cubs memorabilia at an antique show this weekend. 1932 program vs Giants along with two ticket stubs. Also included was this very nice 1933 Cubs Picture Pack along with the mailing envelope. The set is complete and includes 23 players and 7 non-playing personnel along with Rogers Hornsby, even though he had been released by the Cubs the year before. His picture is similar in format to the other non-playing members of the club that were included in the issue. Hornsby was not included in the checklist in the 2004 Standard Catalog for the 1932 or 33 Cubs Picture Pack. I don't know if he has since been added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (72.5 KB, 531 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Jason

Default Reverse of Lee Handley photo...

What can the reverse of my recently acquired photo tell you about it?
any thoughts? thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938HandleyPhoto-Reverse.jpg (66.6 KB, 505 views)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

Sometimes you're pleasantly surprised with an eBay purchase.

Last week I posted the first photo below, which was from the seller's listing. For whatever reason, I assumed the diameter of the pinback would be 1 1/4 inch or so (the seller didn't mention the size). I didn't even bother to ask for a scan of the reverse. The pin, even though it's Cleveland related, didn't wow me, so I wasn't all that agggressive with my bid and didn't care much about the details.

The pin arrived today, and surprise No. 1 was the size, just more than 2 inches in diameter. So that was nice. But then I flipped it over and was thrilled to see that the reverse features a photo of Louis Sockalexis! OK, so the photo actually is more likely of some Cleveland city councilman. But it still adds something -- not necessarily value, but maybe a little character -- to the pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BlqS3)g!2k~$(KGrHqUH-DsEttBCbFj)BLciPrwoQ!~~_35.jpg (10.7 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg pin.jpg (20.1 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 03-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Rob, I'd ask Ryan about that photo before you just dismiss it as some Cleveland City Councilman....it's very likely that that is Joe Jackson.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Max Weder

Posted on the Red Sox thread with nary a murmur, so reposting here

The irony of Ted Williams, sportswriter, should not be lost upon us

Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM

x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909.jpg (74.8 KB, 383 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Super rare High-top Umpire's Cleats from the teens... with rigid protective flaps and steel enforced toes, to protect against foul balls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spaldings 084.jpg (78.0 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 088.jpg (77.4 KB, 520 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 03-17-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Joe

Default Umpire Cleats

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Super rare High-top Umpire's Cleats from the teens... with rigid protective flaps and steel enforced toes, to protect against foul balls
Those are very interesting Mark - Never seen that reinforced style before. Nice pick up. Curious, what indictaes they are from the teens? Those spike cleats look more recent and different than the typical cleat or shoe plates I've seen from that era (but I'm not really very familair with shoes/cleats).
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

Nice pick-up, Mark. You don't see wardrobe from The Munsters turn up very often.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Joe:
The 'teens assumption is based on the style of shoe, and the fact that they were acquired along with other very specific equipment of this time frame. In this grouping was a Spalding Catchers Mask, D&M Apron-style Chest Protector, and Goldsmith Reeded Shin Guards... all very specific to the teens.

The equipment was all stuff that's pictured in Sporting Catalogies form the 1910s. Mostly Catchers' stuff, but I believe these to be Umpires Shoes, due to the style of cleat... different than the players' spikes of the era. If anyone else can provide further insight, please chime in...

Rob:
Herman Munster game-used stuff is off the charts. The episode with Leo Durocher is still my favorite. But due to the age and small size (around a size 9), I only believe these to be Herman's Little League shoes. I'm obtaining an LOA from Lou Lampson, to that effect. If they come back as "not authentic", Darn Darn Darn Darn Darn!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Jeff

Default 1923 Goudey Gum Co. Stock Owned by EG Goudey

Here are some photos of the 1923 Goudey Gum Co. Stock Certificate (owned by EG Goudey himself!) that I picked up from forum member jross2. Features multiple signatures (including EG Goudey & Harold DeLong) on the front and back of the stock certificate and transfer sheet. Really love this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoudeyStockCertFront.jpg (77.4 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg GoudeyStockCertBack.jpg (71.0 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg GoudeyStockTransferSheet.jpg (81.8 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg GoudeyStockCertFrontAuto.jpg (74.1 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg GoudeyStockCertFrontDeLongAuto.jpg (74.2 KB, 475 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 03-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Ricky Anderson

This finally arrived. 14" tall with D&M stamping. I am really impressed with the detail on such a small figural!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trophy2.jpg (69.6 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg trophyside.jpg (68.0 KB, 454 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great acquisition, Ricky...

I was watching that one closely, and am happy that you got it!

That detailed little Catcher is rare, but he does get around. I have an early Ashtray with the same figural Catcher. I was lucky enough to obtain it from Glenn Davis before he passed away. He said it was always one of his favorites. I'll post it later when I'm actually awake...

In the mean time, below are two previous Hunt Auctions to feature your Catcher Figural. Two different types of Inkwells... both quite valuable. I would say you did quite well

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=949&lot_qual=

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=188&lot_qual=
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Chris Counts

Default 1940s "Coloroto" clippings

Here's my latest acquisition in the category of "It looks really cool but isn't worth much." These colorful images were clipped from issues of the Sunday News in the 1940s. They beautifully capture baseball in the WWII era. I've posted a link if you'd like to see more ...

http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt/1940s...ndaynewsphotos

My blog: http://minnieminoso.blogspot.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorototwilliams.jpg (80.6 KB, 399 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Mike H.

These are two of the finest pieces of china I've seen and certainly the most detailed and scarcest I own. I love the detail. They are Villeroy and Boch circa 1880s. I just love em!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Those are so beautiful, Mike...

If Hunts would have given them that kind of close-up photo, they might have sold for double what they did. That detail is just amazing.

Congrats on a terrific acquisition of some extremely scarce and gorgeous items. It will be a very long time before any other examples show up!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ricky...

Here's the Ashtray I mentioned earlier with the same figural Catcher...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spaldings 072.jpg (76.3 KB, 442 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Ricky Anderson

Default Get your smokes!

Nice Mark. Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashtray.jpg (75.9 KB, 397 views)
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Default George Gibson photo with autograph

Here is a scan of my George Gibson photo that I had framed with his autograph. The autograph is on a Sporting News letter giving that publication permission to use his signature in the Baseball Register.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG.jpg (69.1 KB, 344 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Default A Bunch of 19th century pickups

Great pickups guys. I have had a great couple of weeks at picking up some 19th century pieces, mostly football related.

First off, I picked up a Victor patent 1891 Batwing Noseguard. While Batwing noseguards are rare in their own right, I believe this one is even rarer than the standard batwing noseguards. The regular bat wing noseguard has the general shape of a regular noseguard with the cheek protector jutting out at each side. The one I picked up has the neckband at bottom, and has no forehead piece. I wasn't sure what to make of this, until I was perusing the Antique Sports Uniforms and Equipment book (which is an awesome book by the way and highly recommend it) --> In the football section, they show a page from a circa 1900 Victor sports catalog. In the page, they show a Victor Bat wing nosemask No. 535, which looks like the regular shaped batwing, then below it the list: Victor Face Mask No 535B, and list the following description:
"Similar to shape of the No 535, but has longer chin piece and no forehead rest. This mask is more intended for the end's use, having band around neck instead of head, it may be dropped away by simply relaxing pressure of the teeth, when it will hang until required for use again. Victor Quality Throughout"
This exactly matched the nosemask I just picked up, and I can't imagine this was a very popular item, given that the only thing that kept it on your face was by clenching it with your teeth! The noseguard came from an estate in Alliance Ohio area along with a photograph of a player shown with it around his neck.

Neck, I picked up a group of 11 1890's silk college flags. I have bid on a couple of these in the past, but have never seen a large group like this. Included in the group are: Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, Vassar, NYU, Minnesota, a red flag with yellow O which I believe is Oberlin, a yellow flag with white T which I haven't identified yet, and an odd flag with a unicorn on it. If anyone has any ideas on the T flag and uniform flag, I would love to hear them.

I also picked up this awesome victorian scrapbook, that is packed with ephemera from Yale from about 1893 to 1896. It includes ticketstubs, tintypes, clipped scorecards, and much more. The scrapbook is filled with envelopes that contain little notes, clippings about the Yale footbal team, etc, and I haven't went through it in detail yet. One of the scorecards is of an 1893 game between Yale and the Brooklyn Grooms which featured Dan Brouthers, Hardy Richardson, etc.
My favorite items in the scrapbook is three tintypes of 3 ladies, 2 holding tennis rackets, with the other wearing a Yale Football sweater and toting a large melon shaped football. These were very loosely attached in the book, and these were the only thing I have removed at this point. One was actually loose when I received it.

The last 19th century piece I picked up is a very large poster from Ogdensburg NY for an 1890 Horse Racing event. It is framed and measures 44 by 28 inches.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Phil Garry

Default 1865 Leslie's Illustrated Woodcut

Picked this one up in the recent B & L Auction. Since it was produced in 1865 and pictures Henry Chadwick on the far right at center, it marks one of the earliest possible Chadwick collectibles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chadwick_Henry_1865.jpg (38.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

WOW Keith...

Those are some jaw-dropping pieces you picked up recently. I can't even imagine where you found those things, but they're truly stunning. That Batwing Noseguard is especially incredible.

Your posts always make me want to foray into football, but my wallet tells me to stay far away (and so far I've had the sense to listen and obey it).

Collecting one sport is more than damaging enough. But your posts are like the old cartoons, where the aroma of a fresh baked pie coaxes you over (in the form of an inviting finger) to try a bite. Irresistable stuff!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Joe

Keith - Fantastic pick ups. Love the noseguard and the wealth of various items in that scrapbook is incredbile. If you're ever looking to part with one of those tintypes, I'd be interested . Where do you find all these items? You always seem to dig up an array of very interesting items.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Default pickups

Thanks guys,
All but the poster, were ebay pickups. The poster was acquired at an estate auction. I will send you an email about the tintypes later today.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Cubs Plate

Photobucket

9 1/2" diam.
Great stuff Keith...you're really cleaning up, good job. Above my little pick up I better hoist before March ends..Got on eBay, seller said it dates to 1949....but I dunno..can anyone here date it? I recently posted a Heisman dinner plate as my Sports Antique of the Week you can see here

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Mark

Carlton - the cubs logo really did not take that form until 1979, and certainly did not look like that in the 1940's. The logo on the plate was used by the now defunct Chicago Athletic Club for quite a long time.

-----1949------------------------1979--
Attached Images
File Type: gif nl_1949_chicago.gif (11.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: gif nl_1979_chicago.gif (15.9 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 03-26-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Actually 1980 Carlton...

After the Syracuse China Company's I00th anniversary in 1971, you can tell what year a piece was made due to their code. So the back of your plate has 9-?D I can't quite make out what the first letter is after the # 9 possibly also a D. Anyway, their code would be to add the said number "9" in this case to their Centennial year 1971 and you have 1980. The Letter "D" would stand for the piece being made in the fourth quarter of the year.

They shut their doors for good last year and gave their employees a commemorative plate with the markings on the verso stating 38-A. So 38 plus their Centennial year 1971 = 2009 and the "A" means it was made in the first quarter of the year.

Damn, they shut the doors after 138 years in business...

Regardless Carlton, I think it's a cool looking plate!

Best, Jimmy
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Yale Scrapbook

As I was going through the scrapbook I posted yesterday, I noticed one sort of neat thing for N302 Mayo Collectors. Several of the Mayo Yale players appear in the scrapbook on a 1894 Junior Promenade booklet. Both George Adee and Frank Butterworth (who were both in the Mayo set and College All Americans in 1894) were listed on the invitation card as being on the Promenade Committee. Also on the same page is a little booklet, that has lists of names of different male students that I am assuming the Scrapbook owner danced with. The names include Adee, and Butterworth again, as well as Phillip Stillman (also in the Mayo set and an all american). At first I thought they has all signed the booklet, but I think it is all done in the same hand (the owners) Several of the names in the dance booklet corresponded with the owner, and the scrapbook includes signed invitation acceptances from some of them, but I haven't located any signatures of any of the football players yet. The scrapbook is really packed, and it has been pretty neat to dig through it.

There are a couple of ticket stubs that I would like to remove from the scrapbook eventually, but am not sure what the best way to attempt to try this, other than trying to slowly and carefully pull them off. I am guessing that soaking would be a very bad idea, correct?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM

Default shredded

Mark and Jimmy, Thanks for the assist...I sure hope I can get my $9.99 back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Seriously, I appreciate your scrutiny...I thought it looked a little later and I knew Net54 was the place to find out...that is I knew it would get torn to shreds if it wasn't from 1949...which is fine...I like commercial restaurant plates and especially sports related ones.

Jimmy you are encyclopedic!
__________________________________________________ ___________

Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Mark

It's gotta be a Chicago Athletic Club plate. They were around for nearly 100 years I believe. For $9.99, I'd keep it.

Interestingly, on their web site they used to claim that the Cubs logo was "borrowed" from them. Not true, but it sounded good.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Rick P

Default Red Man Baseball Cap Premium

Those tabs at the bottom of 1950s Red Man baseball cards were redeemable for "a big league style baseball cap". I picked up this nice looking old Cardinals cap yesterday at a local show. It didn't occur to me until I was home that it might just be one of those caps. It's flat....the bill has never been curved...which implied it might have been mailed. Can anyone confirm my theory?

Last edited by Oldtix; 03-28-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Default Oh My!

That's Awesome Rick! What a pick-up. Talk about a companion piece. Just great. Now all you need is a vintage pouch of Red Man and a card or two and you'll have built a perfect time machine.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 03-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Scott

I don't have this yet, but its a pencil sketch done by a teenager..Not bad for that age, huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GehrigFarewellTess.jpg (42.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Lou Gehrig Huskies

I bought the envelope and brochure separately, but it seems like they belong together.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Matt

Picked up this toughie.. LHT Ruth Catchers mitt..
Matt
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Default That's a terrific start Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I bought the envelope and brochure separately, but it seems like they belong together.

Now next up for you should be the Huskies Pin. They surface a couple times a year on ebay but I'm fairly certain that you can snag one at the National.

Best, Jimmy
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Thanks Jimmy,
This and the "Knot Hole" stuff are at the top of my list of things to get over the next few years.

This is just great fun to find.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Default 20th Anniversary Present- lineup card from our first date follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I love this March pickup! My wife and I went on our very 1st date on August 18, 1989. Even though I'm originally from So Cal, I met my wife in the midwest. When we first got to know each other, it turned out that we both had a great love of baseball. Knowing that she was a die-hard Tigers fan, I thought that flying out to take her to a Tigers game was a great way to begin things when I first asked her out. On August 18th the home town Tigers stomped the visiting Yanks, and needless to say we had a great time. My biggest regret was that I never saved the tickets to this game. For years I have been searching for a replacement ticket stub. Through pure seredipity I stumbled on to the actual Tigers dugout card to this game (in HOF Sparky Anderson's hand) about a week ago. The cost- $17 delivered; the value-priceless! I plan on framing this with a plaque that is inscribed "Baby, this is where it all began..." I will be on giving this to her as one of her presents for our 20th wedding anniversary in May of this year.
Corny, but I love it!
Following up on my post from awhile back re: finding the actual managers lineup card to the first date with my wife 21 years ago. A few of you posted some very nice compliments about my post and asked that I follow up once I had given it to my wife for our 20th anniversary.

We celebrated our anniversary last Saturday at the restaurant that we went to on next date after the Tigers game that I previously told you about. We had a great 3 hour dinner together and it was an exceptional night out to always be remembered.

The lineup card that I previously showed was incorporated into a natural cherry wood framed piece with wedding photos, a business card from the restaurant where we went on our second date together (and also where we celebrated our 20th anniversary) as well as a sentimental inscription. She loved it!!
I've included some pictures of the final product for those of you that care to look.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20th Anniversary framed piece.jpg (69.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20th anniversary photos.jpg (64.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 20th Anniversary message.jpg (60.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Well done scott !!!

Just a tremendous effort on your part to tie everything together. She must have been pretty much speechless when you dropped it on her.

Congrats to the both of you!

Sincerely, Jimmy
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Graig Kreindler

Now THAT'S a pick-up - a beautiful piece.

And oh man, Mel Hall? Memories...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Dan Bretta

Very nice Scott.