NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2019, 06:17 AM

Default As a collector, this sucks

I get that for many, it's a business. Purchasing something you know you can resell for more is a way to make money and people can do what they want. I was bidding on the first auction and it just sucks to see it pop up immediately after it sells for 4x more by a flipper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-O-Pee-...MAAOSwedRc8ZhJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-132-OPC-R...D/123802761393
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums
Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

At least pwcc isn't getting the higher price...or are they????

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

That seller is an idiot who overprices every card he has. It will still be there in two years.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 AM

I made an offer of $32.50 which is what he paid + shipping. I'm sure it will be declined or ridiculously countered.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedduck View Post
I made an offer of $32.50 which is what he paid + shipping. I'm sure it will be declined or ridiculously countered.

I would highly advise to just forget about the card and never for any reason do business or contact that seller.

Seriously they are complete psychopaths. They have been a member here with at least 2 different accounts that both have been banned.

They will send you horrible messages and attack you in every way possible for little to no reason. They are famous for screwing with people through eBay. I have had them buy stuff from me and then the day before they can no longer return it file a claim. It didn't affect me because I sell very little and have the extra $ to cover returns. Now if they did that to some people it would cause some serious hardships for the innocent people those scum harass.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Banned

agree with all of the comments on the seller. stay far away. as a public service, he also is on eBay as thebaseballmachine. you will want to block that name too.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I know what you mean, just forget about it. He has 1 card I need that he outbid me on probably 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately for me, this is the only copy that has come up for sale in probably the last 5-10 years. I thought I was a bit crazy bidding over $1k for the card. He now has it listed for between $2k-3k at different times. Obviously, I'm still waiting for another copy to show up. He's also sent me offers to buy stuff which I've always declined. I would have taken the offer from someone else but I've chosen not to deal with him.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Feel the same way. I see stuff he has which I am interested in and just will not buy from him or even communicate with him. I truly think he is a psycho.

ps....I should add, I actually don't have a big problem with him asking whatever he wants to for the card. Maybe he thought it was worth 4x what he paid. But he is not someone I would ever want to deal with. If he was a cool seller I would make an offer if I still wanted it and it was way overpriced. I have bought quite a few things where I made +/-50% offers and they were accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I know what you mean, just forget about it. He has 1 card I need that he outbid me on probably 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately for me, this is the only copy that has come up for sale in probably the last 5-10 years. I thought I was a bit crazy bidding over $1k for the card. He now has it listed for between $2k-3k at different times. Obviously, I'm still waiting for another copy to show up. He's also sent me offers to buy stuff which I've always declined. I would have taken the offer from someone else but I've chosen not to deal with him.

Last edited by Leon; 06-15-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 AM

This seller is horrible in every way. Consider that particular card destroyed; you will never get it and you don’t want to deal with that guy. Lesson here is if you really want something, bid big to win it and if you overpay, so be it. It’s better to overpay and have the card than save a few bucks and be taunted by it listed on eBay for the next 3 years.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Ben North

Finally a thread we all agree on. Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Scott

I want to know why the card now has a green Jewish star on it. Was Rick Ferrell Jewish?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 AM

DJ, I just looked at his listings trying to guess which card you really want. I have my ideas and won’t guess publicly, but I gotta say the dude has some pretty rare stuff. My favorite is the T3 Walter Johnson “headless variant” - he is trying to sell half a Wajo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F7B5CE5-9911-4389-9D95-4D647FD02E9E.jpg (7.0 KB, 919 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Before I checked the actual auction to see what seller is being discussed I read all the posts. Then I took a guess who I thought the seller was. Then I clicked the link to see, and Boom!, I was right. LOL. It's amazing this guy has such a reputation that all of you guys know he's psycho. I have friends who have felt his wrath and their stories are unreal. Definitely stay away from him. Never send him an offer or, for god's sake, never ever tell him his prices are too high.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedduck View Post

This is why you won't get the card. Sending him an offer less than what he paid
after ebay fees is just poking the bear. If you really want it just offer him 50 or
60 bucks and be done with it.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Greg, just curious, do you set up with him at the white plains show?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 AM

I just had an exchange with him on a t212 ten million unfortunately. Offer him 70 over what it just sold for month ago and he counter with a rude message and asking for double...super lame

Last edited by C-mack; 06-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Before I checked the actual auction to see what seller is being discussed I read all the posts. Then I took a guess who I thought the seller was. Then I clicked the link to see, and Boom!, I was right.
I did the same thing. I knew after the first three posts who it was you were discussing.

I had my own run-in with him. I also saved his somewhat threatening PM from when he was a member here. I still get a laugh from it. I like how after all his bluster he would end every PM and post with the phrase "I come in peace." It makes him sound like an f...ing Martian.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Funny. Toppsaholic just sent me an offer with an added message posing as a little girl named lili asking pretty please to accept the offer.
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Greg, just curious, do you set up with him at the white plains show?
Yes, he helps me with the security camera set up also. He comes off
wacky over the internet/ebay, but is totally different in person. I don't
have an answer for why this is but I suggest everybody who is curious
to actually meet him in person at a show and prove me wrong.

Also if anybody ever wants to meet me: I am Greg. I wear a Purple shirt
at every show
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I want to know why the card now has a green Jewish star on it. Was Rick Ferrell Jewish?
Maybe it's his response to PWCC's rating system.

Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-mack View Post
I just had an exchange with him on a t212 ten million unfortunately. Offer him 70 over what it just sold for month ago and he counter with a rude message and asking for double...super lame
He might actually continue to email you telling you how stupid you are and basically attacking you. He's harassed people I know for months because they tried to explain to him why his prices were ridiculous. The guy is nuts.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post

at every show
oh please. save it.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I once pointed out to him that his ridiculous price on an utterly low-grade, dogshit Cobb item was like 7x what it was worth. He then proceeded to mention me in his auction listing for the item, chastising me for not knowing what the item was worth and insisting because he paid $1500 for it (he was listing it at over 5K at the time) the card was worth at least $1500. I had mentioned it was worth $500 I believe. Anyway, two years later, the card remains on eBay and when he listed it for under 2K with a best offer option no one bit. He's since removed me from his listing. I don't remember him as being mean-spirited, just a delusional idiot.

Edited to add: in his eBay listing he mentioned "sometimes even the best lawyers in the world don't know what they're talking about." So I enjoyed that.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-15-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

at every show
Is he the one that pretended to be a woman and posted about the theft of your 51B Mantle? I seem to recall that but am not 100 percent on the details.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is he the one that pretended to be a woman and posted about the theft of your 51B Mantle? I seem to recall that but am not 100 percent on the details.
LOL, I had forgot about that, Great guy otherwise. EDIT: To add i believe he(they) also had a 3rd ID on here as larrydavidfan33, that one was really shot lived.

Probably sitting beside each other while posting about the missing(maybe) Mantle.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-15-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
LOL, I had forgot about that, Great guy otherwise.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...9&postcount=42

Joined the forum from Florida just to find Greg.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-15-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

The name sounds familiar from another thread about a questionable green Cobb. I do not remember the details but it wasn't a good look from what I do recall.

I should add that if a rare card slipped through the cracks and sold for 28 bucks I have no problem with it being listed for 100, or even 1000. People can ask whatever they want. I have no idea what the value of this card is. But just because he paid 28 bucks doesn't mean it's only worth 28 bucks.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-15-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Sean Costello

He bought a graded Cobb Green that was a fake, knowing that it was fake. He tried to sell it as a real Cobb Green on Ebay, then joined Net54 to defend himself after some members caught the fake. He offered to post a video of himself destroying the card.

We're still waiting for that video.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Probably sitting beside each other while posting about the missing(maybe) Mantle.
If I'm right that he is NotVader who posted one of the most improbable posts in history, about joining the forum just to report what by miraculous coincidence she just happened to see at the National while accompanying her uncle or whoever it was, and wanted to find Greg to let him know, then why if Greg knew the post was fake didn't he disclaim it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Agreed

Although I might not agree with a lot of his crazy/bizarre antics, it is his right to ask whatever he wants for an item. I learned a long time ago that just because something sells for a certain price at auction doesn’t mean that’s all it’s worth.

I also agree with whoever said if they lost out at it for $28 just offer $60 and be done with it if you really want it. It took more time and energy to get on here and write this post.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Greg C

Quote:

Ha. Mantle still has not been recovered. I had no involvement with the Vader woman postings but I did get a good laugh out of it.

I think this hobby/industry needs a tv show or a movie. There is more than enough content to extract from.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:06 PM

It's funny ... when I started reading this thread ... without opening the link ... one Ebay seller's name came to mind instantly. What a shock that it turns out that this is exactly who I was thinking off?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
He bought a graded Cobb Green that was a fake, knowing that it was fake. He tried to sell it as a real Cobb Green on Ebay, then joined Net54 to defend himself after some members caught the fake. He offered to post a video of himself destroying the card.

We're still waiting for that video.
Those are the details I had forgotten. Probably best to avoid this seller.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I’m just glad he changed his address. For the longest time he was listing his location on eBay as Cooperstown. Searching local listings was a nightmare with his thousands of items clogging the results.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Ha. Mantle still has not been recovered. I had no involvement with the Vader woman postings but I did get a good laugh out of it.

I think this hobby/industry needs a tv show or a movie. There is more than enough content to extract from.
Personally I do not believe you.

I am sure he is nice in person. Most internet bullies have to be because they are only tough when locked safely in their basement away from the real world.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Personally I do not believe you.

I am sure he is nice in person. Most internet bullies have to be because they are only tough when locked safely in their basement away from the real world.
I could be way off base. But that whole episode, the Not Vader posts, the other attack on Earl Johnson, just the whole thing set off my spider sense.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Derek Granger

amazing all the bad experiences with this seller (per the posts above) but he has 100% eBay feedback.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
amazing all the bad experiences with this seller (per the posts above) but he has 100% eBay feedback.
LOL, eBay feedback, LOL That has been completely worthless from the beginning. The only this more worthless is the BBB.

In the beginning you could leave anyone any feedback you wanted even if you never had a transaction with that person. Now you have to jump through hoops to leave a negative Then the person who got the negative can just call ebay and have it removed. I could go on and on and on about how useless it is.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've recently had a couple of very positive experiences with sellers with about 95% positive feedback. Go figure. Maybe buyers in other hobbies are more critical.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:00 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
100% is easy when everyone who knows about him refuses to deal with him.

Ryan, it is not hard to guess which card, it is listed in every one of my posts

DJ
Old 06-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow, did not know all of this.

I do loathe the pontificating wannabes on eBay, though. My listings now say this: "I am well aware of what the market is for most anything I sell; trying to "educate" me on pricing is not a negotiation tool, it is just being a tool."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-15-2019, 03:47 PM
B0b Żwξn9

Although I don't post much, I really like Net 54 and have bought some good stuff at fair prices through BST from very nice people on this board. Thanks Leon and all you great people.

Last edited by fusorcruiser; 06-19-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Removed opinion
Old 06-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I've recently had a couple of very positive experiences with sellers with about 95% positive feedback. Go figure. Maybe buyers in other hobbies are more critical.
Yeah...95% is about as low as you'll ever see and its supposedly a bad rating. But, if 95 out of 100 transactions go well with a seller, I like my chances.

And buyer feedback that can only be positive...well, that's especially pointless.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I have had all excellent dealings with Toppsaholic.

He has every right to list a card at any price that he sees fit. If the price is too high for you, then move on.

I don't believe that he deserves to take a beating from anyone because he listed a card at a higher price than you think it deserves. He is just trying to run a business.

When did this Forum become a lynch mob?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I did the same thing. I knew after the first three posts who it was you were discussing.

I had my own run-in with him. I also saved his somewhat threatening PM from when he was a member here. I still get a laugh from it. I like how after all his bluster he would end every PM and post with the phrase "I come in peace." It makes him sound like an f...ing Martian.
Great movie, and apparently entirely appropriate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8mY_h0EIBw
Old 06-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

He has every right to list a card at any price that he sees fit. If the price is too high for you, then move on.

I don't believe that he deserves to take a beating from anyone because he listed a card at a higher price than you think it deserves. He is just trying to run a business.

I don't believe anybody is complaining about the ridiculous prices. Just some guys saying they can list any card at any price they want.

All the complaints are from people they have attacked. Search realtoppsaholic and read their posts on this forum. My favorite is when he asked the forum if I was a real person and how I got to use a fake name.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

Aside from the OP most of us acknowledged the seller's right to ask what he wants for the card. I think most here avoid this seller for some of the other reasons mentioned above. I'd give them a quick read.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Banned

i do not give two craps about how toppsaholic prices his cards. Read the posts in this thread and you will see most people have a problem with his actions and not his prices. he is a douche and a troll. I have seen first hand how he relentlessly badgers people and abuses the eBay messaging system. he’s a nice guy in person? who cares? actions online are just as impactful as actions in person.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 06-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i do not give two craps about how toppsaholic prices his cards. Read the posts in this thread and you will see most people have a problem with his actions and not his prices. he is a douche and a troll. I have seen first hand how he relentlessly badgers people and abuses the eBay messaging system. he’s a nice guy in person? who cares? actions online are just as impactful as actions in person.
Agreed. I don't care what he lists his cards at. And I'm sure if someone wanted to buy a card of his at his price then the transaction would go quite smoothly and both parties would be happy. It's how he treats people when they offer something he doesn't agree with that upsets me. Like I said, I have friends that mentioned to him that a card he was listing as a rare variation was just a print defect and he insulted them and attacked them for months through eBay and emails. They wanted the card because it was on their wantlist but didn't want to pay 10x what it was legitimately worth. That's reasonable. His actions were not.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Well, this blew up considerably more than I expected. I'll be the first to admit, I made a knee jerk post when a card I'd bid on was almost immediately reposted for sale considerably higher than it had just sold for. As I said in my first post, I get it's a business and if someone sees potential profit, it's 100% their right to buy and sell anything for whatever price they want. My issue was certainly not with selling that card for whatever price he wants or what he can get, especially since to some of you bigger collectors or dealers that's a very small amount. However, I'm sure we've all been in the position where you lose out on something and regret not having been able to acquire a card for the price it sold, when it'll now take longer to try to get a similar deal or you'll have to spend more. I only noticed it because I have a search saved for that set as I'm trying to add a low quality affordable HoF from the set.

That all being said, I was surprised to get a phone call from Toppsaholic today after all this blew up. Apparently I'd purchased another card from him a month ago through Ebay and he was able to track down the info. It was good to get his PoV on it all. As I told him on the phone, I thought it was a little strange for him to contact me directly that way, but I think we came to a good understanding and may still work out a deal for that card.

In the end, as a guy who is a very small buyer in this hobby, I'm not trying to stir stuff up.