NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default RE flips days later

Guess its to be expected, and I've seen it before, but stuff sold only a few days ago at a leading auction house immediately shows up on eBay at grossly inflated prices. An item that sold for $1200 a few days ago is now $3000. Always makes me scratch my head when I see this. Are there really a lot of people out there dropping this kind of loot on Ebay who don't see what is going on at the leading AHs?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM
keith janosky

I see sometimes when some of the major auction houses auctions end usually late at night the next day the guy has it listed on Ebay. That isn't even possible in my view. Even if you pay the next day it can't be shipped by the time it's listed maybe 10 hours or less later and the auction house don't ship out hours after the auction ends. I always think what if it sells on Ebay and the item gets lost to the Ebay seller waiting for it to come from the auction house. Not what you tell the Ebay buyer Sorry I don't have it in hand. It's a joke.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Like a photo sold at RMY for $40 makes its way to ebay for $800. Then touted on Net54's BST with a "discount" off ebay price. Folks can do what they want, but some cases are just laughable.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've seen people buy photos at RMY and then try to sell for 10x on ebay.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:20 PM

That's a modest mark-up in some cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've seen people buy photos at RMY and then try to sell for 10x on ebay.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

lol...are you talking about some of the photos on ebay that are being listed for insane prices? Just turns people off who are looking to get into collecting and see the prices. Many do not sell and just sit and sit. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a profit but god daaaaaaaaamn

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 05-03-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
lol...are you talking about some of the photos on ebay that are being listed for insane prices? Just turns people off who are looking to get into collecting and see the prices. Many do not sell and just sit and sit. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a profit but god daaaaaaaaamn
Well it's easier to ask outlandish prices on photos because there is no standard database of past sales. No VCP. There is a photo right now on BST for multiples of $1000, I will say no more, which I'm guessing is easily 200% higher than it would sell on RMY.

You can get some really cool stuff at RMY for $80 or $100.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Joe

I have settled with the fact that people will do absurd, crazy, dishonest and selfish things because they have problems. I ignore them and don't let it bother me (or at least try to not let it bother me.)

I recently sold a piece of memorabilia on Ebay for a $50 BIN, because it was worth $50 and little more. It was a piece I have a lot of knowledge about. I saw it then being resold for $1500 by someone who is just fishing for some uneducated misguided person to come along and buy it.

Shortly after it was listed for $1500, I had some other ebayer send me a message saying basically that "I was stupid for selling it for $50 because it was now being resold for $1500 and that I should do my homework"...HA!!

I won't get into the details of what I replied, but basically I told that idiot that just because someone lists something for $1500, doesn't make it worth that, and that I am not the one who needs to do some homework.

I was not bothered by the fact someone relisted the $50 item for $1500, but I was bothered that some unknowing person could come along, be tricked, and think the item was something that it is not.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As long as there is no deception in the listing I don't have a problem with someone trolling for a buyer at an inflated price. The educated buyers will just stay away.

There are a million reasons why something can sell for more in one venue over another. Not all of them are nefarious. I know of some collectors who do not like to do business through eBay because they don't have the time or inclination to troll thousands of listings. Some AH's don't have the reach to sell through certain items to the right market so they go cheap. All it means is that the right buyer wasn't watching that particular auction. Which is probably why I've run listings on eBay for months only to have them sell later. Just took the right buyer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As long as there is no deception in the listing I don't have a problem with someone trolling for a buyer at an inflated price. The educated buyers will just stay away.

There are a million reasons why something can sell for more in one venue over another. Not all of them are nefarious. I know of some collectors who do not like to do business through eBay because they don't have the time or inclination to troll thousands of listings. Some AH's don't have the reach to sell through certain items to the right market so they go cheap. All it means is that the right buyer wasn't watching that particular auction. Which is probably why I've run listings on eBay for months only to have them sell later. Just took the right buyer.
I agree Adam, your are right. In my case the problem was there was deep deception involved in the listing.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

". . .just because someone lists something for $1500, doesn't make it worth that . . ."

So true. When I first started collecting it took me a good while to grasp that.

My wife loves those antique shows where they size things up and dramatically announce what they are supposedly worth. I'm always yelling at the TV what nonsense so much of it is. "Yeah sure its worth $25,000 . . .try finding someone to pay it!"
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

hey, someone is selling a "hyphen" for $2500 in the BST, a F'ing hyphen!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 05-03-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
is it original or a reprint???
Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

not sure........I'm actually looking for an apostrophe or a semi colon, but if you are in the market for a hypen, she's a beauty.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I saw that on ebay too tonight .. from Wrigley Field marquee.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wrigley-Fiel...MAAOSwTuJYuzgv

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 05-03-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:13 AM
Scott S

I made a joke post about the same topic last week - makes me laugh when I see it, especially here on the board. Do these people think no one is aware of REA??

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238950

Last edited by scooter729; 05-04-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I made a joke post about the same topic last week - makes me laugh when I see it, especially here on the board. Do these people think no one is aware of REA??

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238950
Ha, great post.

It is instructive though, because when I see a seller doing that I immediately assume all of their wares are priced at rip off flip levels and never give them a second look.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-04-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have bought photos for hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars, then later sold them for 1/3 - 1/2 of what I paid by going either through auction houses or straight ebay auctions. I once lost over $3,000 on a set of cabinet cards and I don't believe I paid the seller much over what he paid. I have also bought rare photos very cheaply and sold them for huge profits.

I have also seen collectors post here, ecstatic over the deal they got, knowing that the item sold for much less previously...which means a seller got royally screwed sometime along the way.

I am not currently losing sleep over either of the above situations. What bugs me is when something gets lost, stolen or dropped and broken.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Bruce Esser

This is a situation in every area of eBay. I coach a girls high school trap team. When someone shoots 25/50/100 straight targets they get a patch to put on their shooting vest. I can buy these from Federal, Remington and Winchester for less than a dollar each. There is a guy/girl on eBay (username washandwear) who sells individual patches for $5.00 and four patches for $30.00. He sells 20-100 a month. I asked him if they were the same ones I could buy retail from the Federal web site for 50 cents and he replied that he got them from an uncle who had a large collection in his attic. Some things never change.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/