NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default Unusual item on Ebay last night

Posted By: Jim VB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120216143274

I watched and tracked this on Ebay but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. The conversation I kept playing over in my mind was me, explaining to my wife, that I was now buying furniture with a vintage baseball card theme. Somehow, I couldn't make it work.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A question to ask is how does the item stand alone as a piece of furniture to be displayed in the home. If it's good looking piece of furniture, there should be no qualms about purchasing it. I used to buy a few large baseball paintings as pieces of memorabilia. A question I would ask about a large and bulky ('can't stick it in a drawer') painting was, would I be willing to proudly hang it on a wall or would I hide it before company came for fear they'd question my taste. If I would be embarrassed to show it, or wouldn't want to look at it myself, I wouldn't purchase it.

A similar question for a baseball chair would be, "Is it comfortable to sit in?" I know a guy who bought a game used coach's warmup jacket for $100. The jacket was his size and he bought it to wear as a winter jacket. Irrelevant to the collectibility of the item (and he is a baseball memorabilia collector), he figured $100 was a good price for a jacket to wear.

I gave my dad a little silver trinket box (essentially a man's version of a jewelry box) that was given as an award to early NBA player George Senesky-- Senesky's name, year, etc was engraved on the top. Some time later, I stopped by and saw my dad had the box on his desk and was using the box to store his keys, change and similar. I thought it great that the box was being used as intended. Much better than if it was empty in the back of a drawer. I gave my dad the box about five years ago and it's still on his desk holding his keys and loose change.

I often envisioned an antique furniture dealer who stored his furniture in his house, as his furniture. He ate his cereal on an 1800s oak table, read the paper in an antique British chair, combed his hair in a 1920 Chicago Cubs advertising mirror, guests drank from a coffee cup once owned by Cary Grant-- everything for sale and listed on his website. Sound business foundation too, as he never has to buy his own furniture! He thinks about all those sucker baseball card dealers who have to buy cards plus furniture for their homes-- how do they stay in business?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Cool piece. I would ask the same questions as David if considering buying it, but it is definately cool. And the price was not bad. The problem is the price of the companion piece , which I would think would be necessary.
JimB

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Another cool item but where do you put it without having to explain it to every visitor to your house???

http://tinyurl.com/2r8zd7

Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

Just explain to them that Mussolini made the trains run on time and the Hitler made good biscuits. Then ask them if they'd like Black Bart milk in their Pol Pot Coffee.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

here is another boston garter display
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gentlemens-Boston-Garter-Store-Display-Case-circa-1912_W0QQitemZ310013999550QQihZ021QQcategoryZ798QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem