NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Default Was this somebody at Topps idea of a practical joke?

This has to be the strangest thing printed on the back of a baseball card that I've ever come across.

I was examining the back of a 1996 Topps Stadium Club, Extreme Players insert card. The back of the card explains the rules for a contest and how to mail-in for the Extreme Winners cards. However, what I found about midway down the card has me scratching my head.

Can anyone shed any light on this (other than it was someone's idea of a practical joke)?

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's due to Canada's lottery/gambling rules, and their contention that baseball cards being won or pack inserted randomly could be considered a type of lottery. So instead of being fully random (game of chance), they require this type of question to be answered to move the contest into a game of skill for legal reasons.
Do some Google searches. You're not the first one to ask.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Al Richter

Dupe

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-16-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Al Richter

Same reason a lot of contests here have a "no purchase necessary to win" in small print
Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 PM

But there's no correct answer.

The beginning is easy: 96/6 = 16

But then the equation reads 16 + 64 x 3 =

Which could be either:

(16+64) x 3 which would equal 210

OR

16 + (64x3) which would equal 208

So how can it be a game of skill ... if they set it up that there is no "correct" answer?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

There is a correct answer. Mathematical formulas have an implicit order even without parentheses. You may remember learning "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" as a kid.

https://www.mnemonic-device.com/arit...-aunt-sally-2/

Using this order of equations, there is a single right answer. These types of questions also pop up on my Facebook feed too often, under the heading of "84% of Americans Can't Solve This!".
Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Greg C

Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Shane

Has anybody ever tried to win anything without purchasing? (no purchase necessary to win)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

My friend got back a letter once that said 'your submission was picked and no purchase necessary but you did the math wrong so we had to give the prize to someone else'

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Hopefully the average Canadian retains more of the knowledge from elementary school math class than the average American.

But yes 208 is the correct answer. And 240 would be the answer without the order of operations. Not 210.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I saw a post on the Blowout boards a couple of months ago where the No Purchase Necessary winner got a couple of Marvel autographed cards for free, totalled around $500.
Upper Deck also comped some people gold coins in their NPN sweepstakes when they released the 2017 Grandeur Coins Hockey release. 1/66 seems like a really good odds for just sending in postcards.

Quote:
2017 GRANDEUR HOCKEY COINS ODDS
This pack contains (1) Upper Deck Grandeur Hockey coin. Randomly inserted into these specially marked packs are the following coins: Base Set coin (#’d to 5,000), High Relief parallel (#’d to 1,000), Frosted parallel (#’d to 500), and Gold parallel (#’d to 100). No individual coin is guaranteed to exist within an individual pack, box or case.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to enter the Sweepstakes or win a Gold Collectible Coin. To enter without purchase, hand print your name, e-mail, complete mailing address with zip code or postal code, date of birth, and day/evening telephone numbers with area code and mail to: 2017 Grandeur Collectible Coin Product Sweepstakes, COMC Consignment 4311 Canada Way Burnaby, BC V5G 4J9 Canada. Upon receipt, your name will be entered into the Sweepstakes. Must be age of majority and at least 18+ years of age or over to enter. Failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions will result in a disqualification of your entry. Math skill-testing question required for legal residents of Canada only. 2,000 gold coins available (diminishing as awarded during sweepstakes period), and 34 gold coins available for no-purchase necessary entries; each gold coin is a single 0.25 oz. gold coin. (Approximate retail value is $346USD based on multiple factors including gold market price, fabrication costs, and player demand). Odds of getting a gold coin are 1:66, or if mail in entry, depends on number of eligible entries received (but no worse than 1:66). Start date for promotion: April 5, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (“PST”); End date for promotion: November 5, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. PST. For details about gold coins and full contest rules, go to www.grandeurcoins.com.Open to legal residents of the United States and Canada, except for residents of Florida, New York, Rhode Island, and Puerto Rico.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Same reason a lot of contests here have a "no purchase necessary to win" in small print
That's right; I had this issue pop up at work recently with a client who wanted to run a contest. if you require a purchase it becomes an illegal lottery.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-20-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

That’s hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk