NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default Seeking opinions on T213-2 Lajoie variation

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I'll preface my question by saying that I realize there's likely no definitive answer, and in the end the decision is going to be 100 percent mind, but because I've given this a lot of thought I'd welcome some input.

Among my top collecting interests are Cleveland cards of Nap Lajoie. Because I'm an Indians/Cleveland collector first, I've had no desire to add Philadelphia cards of Lajoie to my collection.

My question is would you classify this card as depicting him as a member of the Cleveland or Philadelphia club? I realize that there is a card from the series that has the same image (Cleveland uniform) and the text lists him as being with Cleveland. So does the team designation that's printed on the card take precedence over what uniform a player is wearing? Again, I'm not looking for an absolute definition (assuming there even is one); I'd just appreciate some opinions.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Cleveland. The uniform takes precedence.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I'm a pre-war Phillies collector, and if the player is listed as being on a different team, I will not collect it, even if they have a Phillies uniform.

There are a lot of poses / pictures that are used across various T* and E* era sets of Philadelphia Phillies, but if it is an issue that lists team name on the front of the card, I will only collect it if it says "Philadelphia Nat'l", or some iteration of such.

But, collect as you like -- that is what makes this hobby fun.

Marc

Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Rob,

Having just started to collect Toronto cards, I'm facing the same decision. The T213-2 set has a card of Tim Jordan, wearing a Brooklyn uni, listed as Toronto and the T214 set has a card of Joe Kelley wearing a Toronto uni, listed as New York.

Ultimately, I think it's a card-by-card decision. If the card has a unique pose and can be had for a decent price (ie. T213-2 Jordan) then you tell yourself it's the right team and try to pick one up. On the other hand, if it's a duplicate pose and/or not so cheap (ie. T214 Kelley), then you tell yourself it's not the right team, and move on.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That T213 depicts him with Cleveland and the caption says Philadelphia Americans...

Cleveland released Lajoie to the Athletics on Tuesday, January 5, 1915.

So that T213 had to be printed AFTER that date. Makes me wonder about SGC's 1914 designation. Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia says 1914 to 1916, and the type 2 series has 2 Lajoie's, one with a Cleveland caption, the other with Philadelphia American. So it would seem that the Cleveland captioned cards were the first of the bunch, and that those with the Philadelphia caption came later...

To answer your question, Philadelphia.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'm going to suggest a compromise positon that is so complicated only a lawyer could come up with it.

If the card shows Lajoie in a Cleveland uniform, and you do not have another card of Lajoie in that pose, then buy the card even if he is listed with Philadelphia.

But if the same picture is also available on a card listing him with Cleveland, then you should skip the Philadelphia variation, especially if both cards are the same basic style. Here, there are T206 cards and even other Coupon cards that have the same picture, listing Lajoie with Cleveland. Stick with those and skip the Philadelphia ones.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm with Frank and others on this one. Lajoie didn't even join Philadelphia until 1915. So how can this even be a 1914 issue?

I think it's time to form a committee, perhaps spearheaded by Net54 members, to redate all these card issues that are currently misattributed. We find countless examples of sets that have long been dated incorrectly, starting with N28 and moving forward.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

If SGC had put 1914-1916 on there, I could accept that. That would be about right for the type 2 cards. But There's no way that card was around in 1914...

And I'm with Barry.

What we need is for about a dozen of us to calmly go through each issue, ascertain likely issue dates, and when our date conflicts with popular or guide dates, present our reasoning to the Standard Catalog folks (I perceive them most willing to listen to us, most willing to correct their publication), then wait to see if the listings are corrected.

Or, we get organized, form a "group", email info back and forth until we're satisfied with the work product, then WE publish a guide for Vintage Cards... Lord, we'd argue for months about where the cut-off date would be.

Frank.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Instead of forming a private committee, why not just have guided threads on the board so that if anyone has good input they can add it? For example, a thread on T213-2 dating (started using the last few posts here) would seem to conclue the date was 1914-1916 and that info can then be presented to the Standard Catalog.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I use the manufacturer designation. In this case, Philadelphia but as a Cleveland fan or collector, it would be hard to simply over look on this card.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Matt's idea adds to what I suggested on a different thread. If we had a link at the top of the page that directed us to pertinent information, such as lists that rate scarcity of backs, color variations, etc., we could also have a link (in spirit kind of like wikipedia) where contributors could study a set, demonstrate why they feel it is not dated correctly, and provide their research. Eventually, we would collectively revise the information in the current guides and provide them with more accurate dating.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

VintageCardapedia

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I'll take all of the advertising possible on this card

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

If I were a Cleveland collector I would want this card. It is one of my favorite images on a baseball card and the Cleveland is more prominant.
JimB

Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

The image is Lajoie when he was with Cleveland.
Changing the caption does not change that fact.
This is Lajoie when he was with Cleveland.