NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default dealers and layaways

Posted By: scott

whats your experience with dealers putting aside a card which you pay on over 2 or 3 months?(if your a regular customer).i credit card is not an option-all card purchases are with cash on hand in case that would be a suggested option.

scott

Old 08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

When I was in college and grad school, I would do this all the time. I had two dealers from which I routinely purchased items and they were more that happy to set things aside with a small downpayment. Obviously, this must be evaluated on a dealer by dealer basis...the dealer stands to lose nothing, he/she still has the card and some of your money. The guys that I purchased from had invoice sheets that showed clearly what you had paid, when, and what you owed.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Over the years I have had a few experiences with this as I tend not to have a large chunk of money sitting around. A few well known dealers (I prefer not to mention their names because I suspect that they do not want to run a lay-a-way business) have let me pay over time.
Heck, one local dealer who deals in off-grade stuff practically threw two cards (N-172 Daley and a E-93 Ames) at me a couple of weekends ago and said I could pay the balance (I was $40 short) next time I see him in September...let me take the cards and pay when I can...he has done this a few times with me mostly because I have bought thousands of cards from him over the years, introduced him to many other off-condition buyers, sat at his table at shows to help out, etc.

Overall, if the dealer knows you and you have a history, many are accomodating. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is "no."

Joshua

Old 08-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Speaking as an autograph dealer, I almost extend the layaway courtesy to a customer. I have never gotten burnt. I very clearly outline the terms beforehand and tell the customer not to make me chase them for payment.
I think it is pretty normal in this business for a dealer to extend that courtesy.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and one nationally known dealer who regularly does layaway--only checks (or cash, I suppose, if we lived closer together). Take as much time as you need to pay.l I think this is a regular part of his business, and not a special favor he extended to me. I'm almost sure enough of this to write his name, but not quite.

Many dealers I've met at shows, if I'm hesitating about buying a card will say, put something down on it, and I'll hold it for you as long as you like.

I really don't think it's that rare...

Old 08-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dave's vintage baseball cards

As a dealer of vintage cards, depending on the customer the card and the price, I am normally open to a lay-a-way for up to several months.

I would imagine depending on stock, many dealers would be as well.

Hope that helps

Dave

Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

has keep onto my t209 color until I am able to pay for it...I guess it kinda relates to this thread. The thing with layaway is it's all the dealers choice so in most cases I would think that you would have to know the dealer for a decent amount of time...to help build up trust etc. and kudos to all the dealers who do do layaway....it gives the lesser guys a bigger chance lol.