NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Default Submitting to PSA through a local dealer?

Does anyone here submit to PSA through a local dealer's PSA account?

If yes, what's the general protocol? Is there really a potential grading bump for using a large volume account, or is this mostly a hobby myth?

If no, what are the pitfalls/risks involved (aside from the dealer switching, mishandling or outright stealing the cards)?

I have some cards that I need submitted (less than 10 total, in the $50 to $200 range per card), and a few for re-holdering as well, and would rather avoid the $120 - $200 PSA subscription fee, if possible.

I spoke to someone at a local show recently that says he does this all the time, but I don't really trust that guy, so I'd like some of your opinions about it.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Bry@n

I don't know about submitting through a dealer, but I can tell you that neither PSA nor SGC has a subscription fee.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I don't know about submitting through a dealer, but I can tell you that neither PSA nor SGC has a subscription fee.
To get PSA's bulk rates, you need a subscription. I should have been more clear, I suppose, and I'd be submitting at least 10 cards in that scenario (or the 6 to 15 free submissions that you get with a paid subscription).

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-22-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
Does anyone here submit to PSA through a local dealer's PSA account?

If yes, what's the general protocol? Is there really a potential grading bump for using a large volume account, or is this mostly a hobby myth?

If no, what are the pitfalls/risks involved (aside from the dealer switching, mishandling or outright stealing the cards)?

I have some cards that I need submitted (less than 10 total, in the $50 to $200 range per card), and a few for re-holdering as well, and would rather avoid the $120 - $200 PSA subscription fee, if possible.

I spoke to someone at a local show recently that says he does this all the time, but I don't really trust that guy, so I'd like some of your opinions about it.
There are members on here who do bulk submissions and let fellow members join in. I have done it before and it worked great. The only bad part is you have to then pay shipping to and from the person doing the submission.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 AM
David Peck

I get the feeling you are referring to the membership fee. I am paid up for like three years as I buy a fresh membership to submit cards that are over $100 and want a reasonably quick turn around time. The special this month is $6 and that will end up being closer to $9 with shipping there and back. You might want to look at sending them in yourself and signing up. The turnaround time is estimated at 10 days for renewal voucher subs vs. 50 for a special. It also nice to send in a collectors club special with it and if you mark renewal sub on the box it will get logged faster and save you on shipping there if you plan to sub a larger number of cards at some point. In terms of high volume submitter's getting better grades, I don't buy it but many do. I have submitted plenty of 10's myself and what I have learned over the years is if you review your cards four or five times in different sessions you will catch more of the hidden flaws and kick a lot more to the curb. I am sending in a batch today and it took numerous reviews to find a surface bubble on what looked like a potential 10. Back in the raw box it went. I have found the hardest part of getting cards graded is removing your position bias and the fear of not sending something in that might grade high. It takes years of practice and it still isn't a perfect science. Good luck.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 02-22-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've had a friendly dealer who is a major PSA submitter send the cards for me. It costs a bit more due to the double postage to get the cards to him and back, but the cards came back faster than they usually do when I send them and I felt that the grading was more lenient than with my usual submissions. Then again, I may just have caught a grader other than the infamous Grader of Death who normally takes on my packages.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:

Go with your gut! If you sub thru this guy, then have to wait 60+ days for PSA return, it will eat you alive worrying / wondering if you kissed your cards adios. Better piece of mind: Sign up with PSA and do it yourself.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 AM

I have used a dealer to submit to Beckett and to SGC before. For me, it is just because they deal with those companies as part of their job and I am quite casual about it.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I once asked a dealer friend to take an SGC 50 '38 Greenberg, crack it, and submit it to PSA along with some other cards of his. The card came back a PSA 3 (not surprising), but there was a new, small crease that must have happened when he did the cracking. I know your situation is different, but I would only go with dudes you really trust to take care of your cards as well as you would.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 02-22-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM

I live 10 minutes from BGS so I am spoiled and just go by there to drop off and pick up my orders.

That being said, I have submitted a card to PSA for review to bump from a high BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10 (1986-87 Fleer - Hakeem Olajuwon) through a local friend here who does bulk submissions.

I would say that you either need to pony-up for the subscription to submit cards for yourself (and potentially others) or if you're relying on someone else to submit for you, you have absolute confidence and trust in them to handle your cards.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I submitted a Kaline rookie through a dealer once, and the card came back trimmed. Admittedly, the dealer had nothing to do with that, but the experience was such that I just stopped buying raw cards altogether.
I'm also very mistrusting of raw cards, but I've still accumulated these over the past few years - many were acquired through buying a small collection from a local who used to collect, but lost interest.

The prices were too good to pass up and the cards aren't high end or super high grade, so if a few come back as trimmed or altered, I won't be that badly disappointed.

Mostly, I'd just like them slabbed to match the rest of my collection.

I also have an R303 Goudey B&W HOFer that's in a hideous looking GAI 8 oversized holder (I won't even call it a slab) that looks more like the plastic packaging that you can easily cut open with scissors. I need that one crossed over.

By the way, I really appreciate the opinions, and will have to think about the route I'm going to take.

Does anyone know a reputable, high volume PSA submitter in NE Ohio, by chance?

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-22-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

I have no doubt the frequent flyers get rapid rewards. IMO, highly recommend submitting cards through a bulk submitter if you can, otherwise you're a small fish.

I don't think this is any different than any other business in America. Companies want volume, not one-offs. Especially in CA.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
To get PSA's bulk rates, you need a subscription. I should have been more clear, I suppose, and I'd be submitting at least 10 cards in that scenario (or the 6 to 15 free submissions that you get with a paid subscription).
You would be better off submitting under a monthly special with someone who is a member (piggybacking)..I submit around every 3 months or so....you are more than welcome to tag along with me.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I always wondered if their "friends" get bumps that we don't get. Sucks that everything in life is politics.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
I don't really trust that guy
You said it yourself.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
You said it yourself.
For clarification, "that guy" was submitting his cards through local dealers to PSA. He is not a dealer himself.