NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 Leaf BB cards....show us your Leaf's

Most set collectors consider this set to be the toughest to complete of all the major post-war issues. I've posted this thread here in the pre-war section since this set
comprises of BB stars that played in every decade from 1897 to 1948.

There are 98 different subjects in this set (20 of them HOFers). These cards were issued in 2 series of 49 cards each. The first series was available very early in the
Spring of 1949. The 2nd (short-printed) series was very limited in its distribution during the Summer of 1949. These 49 cards were available only in four regions of
the country (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Eastern Massachusetts).

Anyhow, I have quite a sentimental attachment to these cards, since they were my very first colorized BB cards that I collected when I was a 10-year old kid.

I'll start this show with some of my favorites in my set. Looking forward to seeing your 1949 Leaf cards.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-09-2023 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Most set collectors consider this set to be the toughest to complete of all the major post-war issues. I've posted this thread here in the pre-war section since this set

There are 98 different subjects in this set (20 of them HOFers). These cards were issued in 2 series of 49 cards each. The first series was available very early in the
Spring of 1949. The 2nd (short-printed) series was very limited in its distribution during the Summer of 1949. These 49 cards were available only in four regions of

Anyhow, I have quite a sentimental attachment to these cards, since they were my very first colorized BB cards that I collected when I was a 10-year kid.

I'll start this show with some of my favorites in my set. Looking forward to seeing your 1949 Leaf cards.

TED Z

Those are awesome Ted..

My holy grail is the satchel Paige.... Being born and still living in Mobile.... He's an icon around here.
One day!........
Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Great thread. I love this set. I only have one but it is easily in my top 5 of my collection.
Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 1293 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM

Beautiful cards Ted. The Joe D. is particularly amazing.

Last edited by sreader3; 05-23-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Tony Quinn

Default But why?

Honestly, I've never understood the attraction to this set. I think they are by far the ugliest post war cards ever produced. I would love to hear why so many collectors love this set. I am not judging or belittling anyone, I really have always wondered why so many revere this set like they do (and I mean from the visual aspect, not the player content, that I do understand). I can totally understand Ted's reasoning as it's part of his childhood and I respect that.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 AM
Dave Foster

For me, they just evoke an image of the time. Despite all their numerous imperfections, i.e., color bleeds, stinko registration, over prints, mc and oc issues, always loved the set, always will. To each his own . . . That said, I only have one: Bob Elliott in SGC 84.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Mike Dugan

I've always enjoyed them since finding some at a flea market in 1977. I actually like the football issue even better, classic poses of players we seldom see.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Honestly, I've never understood the attraction to this set. I think they are by far the ugliest post war cards ever produced. I would love to hear why so many collectors love this set. I am not judging or belittling anyone, I really have always wondered why so many revere this set like they do (and I mean from the visual aspect, not the player content, that I do understand). I can totally understand Ted's reasoning as it's part of his childhood and I respect that.
In many cases it is an acquired taste. When I first got back into collecting ('98-'00), these didn't do much for me. However, over time I came to appreciate the appeal and relative beauty of these cards. Many are off register, so finding an example that's in good shape and registered can be tough, but they look so much better when everything lines up.

You also have minor and major color variations throughout the set, adding another nuance to the eye appeal factor. To me, they perfectly represent the time period, and the printing process resembles an Andy Warhol silkscreen to me.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Aaron E.
Aa.ron Eps.tein

Default 1948 Leaf

Always loved these cards. Would love to pick up the other big three (Ruth / Robinson / Paige).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leaf 1948.jpg (80.3 KB, 906 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
In a similar vein I always wonder why the Ruth from this set sells for such high prices. I mean it is a post-career card printed after his death just like the 62 Topps or any other postwar Ruth card. Why does it garner prices as if it was issued during his career? It's an attractive card to me but I don't understand why it is so IMHO overpriced.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
In a similar vein I always wonder why the Ruth from this set sells for such high prices. I mean it is a post-career card printed after his death just like the 62 Topps or any other postwar Ruth card. Why does it garner prices as if it was issued during his career? It's an attractive card to me but I don't understand why it is so IMHO overpriced.

It's all a matter of "relativity"....you consider this vintage card of Ruth "overpriced"....however, when compared with his Goudey cards (or earlier cards),
it is reasonably priced. Ruth is Ruth, and most collectors want an old card of him.

Here are the two from my two 1949 LEAF sets......

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 11-30-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 Leaf BB cards....Cleveland HOFers

Of the twenty HOFers in the 1949 LEAF set, the Indians lead with these five HOFers......

Spring series cards

"MVP in 1948" **

Summer series cards (short-prints)

** Note.... Trivia: What is unique regarding Lou Boudreau's MVP award ?

Furthermore, I bring Boudreau's 1948 MVP award to your attention, which is one of several factors that prove this LEAF set was issued ONLY in 1949. The graded card
flips (PSA, SGC, etc.) are absolutely incorrect with their "1948" date.

Boudreau's MVP award was announced in late December 1948. However, if you need more proof of the 1949 issue date, I refer you to my 8-page article published in
Old Cardboard titled "1949 R401 Leaf Gum Company: Most Challenging of all "R" sets" ? ...... Issue #9, Fall 2006.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 03-21-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added imageevent scans.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Great cards, guys.

As someone who appreciates mid-century pop art, I find this set mesmerizing. As someone who craves focus and centering, I find it infuriating.

My only two examples. Hoping CW posts his DiMaggio duo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 Jackie.jpg (65.5 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg 48 Musial.jpg (67.2 KB, 842 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default It's TUESDAY NITE TRIVIA time......

I'm reprising this post because there were no responses to my Trivia question......

What is unique regarding Lou Boudreau's 1948 MVP award ?

Quote:
Of the twenty HOFers in the 1949 LEAF set, the Indians lead with these five HOFers......

Spring series cards

"MVP in 1948" **

Summer series cards (short-prints)

** Note.... Trivia: What is unique regarding Lou Boudreau's 1948 MVP award ?

Furthermore, I bring Boudreau's 1948 MVP award to your attention, which is one of several factors that prove this LEAF set was issued ONLY in 1949. The graded card
flips (PSA, SGC, etc.) are absolutely incorrect with their "1948" date.

Boudreau's MVP award was announced in late December 1948. However, if you need more proof of the 1949 issue date, I refer you to my 8-page article published in
Old Cardboard titled "1949 R401 Leaf Gum Company: Most Challenging of all "R" sets" ? ...... Issue #9, Fall 2006.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 10-01-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Jim K@ne

Default Leaf set

I have been putting together this set for the last several years. Before I started, I also felt it was "ugly" but after reading Ted Z's article and looking at the set some more I decided to jump in and really enjoy the set. I'm down to needing one more card to complete the basic set (need the Larry Doby card). As many mentioned, it can really test your patience with the print defects, centering issues, focus problems but it has become one set where those issues don't bother me as much. Here is a link to my set and a few cards that I like that haven't been posted:

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...leaf-baseball/

Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
I'm reprising this post because there were no responses to my Trivia question......

What is unique regarding Lou Boudreau's 1948 MVP award ?
Ok. I'll bite. Just a stab in the dark but was Lou Boudreau the only player/ manager to win an MVP?
Drew
Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Ok. I'll bite. Just a stab in the dark but was Lou Boudreau the only player/ manager to win an MVP?
Drew

Drew

You got it....you're the Trivia King tonite.

TED Z
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=tedzan;1542379]Most set collectors consider this set to be the toughest to complete of all the major post-war issues. I've posted this thread here in the pre-war section since this set

Anyhow, I have quite a sentimental attachment to these cards, since they were my very first colorized BB cards that I collected when I was a 10-year kid.

Ted,
When did you discover there was a second series of the Leaf baseball set? Also, were all the Bowman 1949 series sold in your NJ hometown?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Ted,
When did you discover there was a second series of the Leaf baseball set? Also, were all the Bowman 1949 series sold in your NJ hometown?

In 1949 in our neighborhood in New Jersey, the LEAF's were available in March. The BOWMAN's followed in April (or May). I remember this well because Spring training had started
when we were flipping our LEAF cards. Also, we played a game of scaling them against our front porch. Like horseshoes, the closest one to the first step would pick up all the cards.
If one of us got a leaner, the kid that knocked it down by aiming his LEAF card at it picked up all the cards.

Only the 1st series LEAF's were available to us. I had my original 49 cards in this LEAF cards set when I got back in the hobby in 1977. I acquired my first 2nd series LEAF card at
a 1982 card Show in north NJ from a dealer from Ohio. It was this Satchell Paige, and it cost me $200. Eight years later, I completed this set of 98 cards (and, its 3 variations).
I have completed a 521-card T206 set in less time than that !

And, to your 2nd question......all 5 series of the 252 cards in the BOWMAN set were available in our neighborhood during May thru September 1949.

TED Z
Old 05-25-2016, 08:17 AM

Ted
That's a neat story... That would be around my dad's age.

You need to get that Paige graded... It's a beauty..
I'm guessing you would get a 6 or 7.

That's high quality
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Mike Ryan

Default Variations

Hey Ted....I find these two are interesting. Priddy with the all yellow background.
Wyrostek with some uniform detail. This might be unique. Maybe a pattern
card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRIDDY ALL YELLOW 001.jpg (78.5 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg WYROSTEK 5734 001.jpg (78.6 KB, 716 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Hey Ted....I find these two are interesting. Priddy with the all yellow background.
Wyrostek with some uniform detail. This might be unique. Maybe a pattern
card?

Hi Mike

Here's my normally green Billy Johnson with a yellow background.

I'm not quite sure what you are noting on your Wyrostek card ?

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 12-29-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Updated scan.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Mike Ryan

Default Wyrostek

It's the blue striping on his jersey. I have never seen another example with the stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WYROSTEKS 001.jpg (70.4 KB, 955 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Deleted.

Double post.

Last edited by tedzan; 11-30-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:29 PM
Luk3 @ll3n

this is a great thread, just commenting so i can remember where it is!
Old 11-30-2022, 03:38 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 Leaf BB cards....show us your Leaf's

I am reprising this thread as it illustrates a rich amount of LEAF cards on display.
Especially all the 2nd Series (short-prints)....which are very seldom seen.
And, many of my color variations.

Plus, Mike Ryan's (long-time 1949 LEAF BB collector) beautiful cards.

After all is said and done.....pictures are always worth a "1000 words"

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Here is my only one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthb.jpg (74.5 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (49.2 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: resized scans