NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Default The quick flip- selling before you have the item

I won’t put the listing directly but anyone can search it out if they wish. Last night in Lelands that was a neat photo montage of a Nashville negro league team that features Sam Bankhead. It’s a neat item. The strange thing is that somehow it is already listed for sake on eBay. The eBay seller couldn’t possible have the item yet and the text is cut and pasted directly from Lelands. Thought on the ethics of this.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

I've seen lots of listings for pre-sales for coins and wax boxes, but I guess the difference there is that that is disclosed. I don't know, my gut reaction is it's more stupid than unethical.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

We’ve seen much scummier things on the BST here. At least the item is accurately described and no idiotic puffery/light fraud is used to sell it.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:49 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I consigned some cards to LOTG a couple years ago. One of the cards was listed on eBay before LOTG received payment. They hadn't sent invoices before it was listed. The buyer/seller lost money on the eBay sale.
James
Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
I consigned some cards to LOTG a couple years ago. One of the cards was listed on eBay before LOTG received payment. They hadn't sent invoices before it was listed. The buyer/seller lost money on the eBay sale.
James
I think one thing we have learned is that there are some financially desperate people in the hobby who will do some desperate things. They don’t always make great financial sense.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:28 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Slightly OT but this reminds me of every time I see someone on LivePD busted for driving without a license. Like how does this happen? I can't even fathom doing something like this or thinking it up.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What’s Live PD?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What’s Live PD?
It's a show on A&E on Friday and Saturday nights. They follow several police departments for three hours live in various locations (they alternate jurisdictions every six months or so). If anyone else is a fan I'll be happy to start an OT thread!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
It's a show on A&E on Friday and Saturday nights. They follow several police departments for three hours live in various locations (they alternate jurisdictions every six months or so). If anyone else is a fan I'll be happy to start an OT thread!
Lots of drunk people with their shirts off yelling at cops?
Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Steve Peissig

I was the underbidder on the Elite piece when it was sold in Leland’s, didn’t realize how early the auction ended so I missed out. Complete bummer as I’m a huge Bankhead fan and it also features one of the best second basemen in Negro ball history, Sammy T. Hughes.
Two other players not pictured but played on the team that year were two 19 year old studs, Ray Dandridge and Wild Bill Wright, the price would have quadrupled if they were on it.

Anyways looks like the seller did what they set out to do, it sold last night for nearly $1000 on EBay.
Good for him I guess but bad for me as I missed out on a quality, probably one-of-a-kind piece.

Thanks Jason for starting the thread and also for your other threads on the board.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

IF there are scummy things on the BST why not PM me to help with them instead of doing nothing but continuously gripe about everything in the world?

Quote:
We’ve seen much scummier things on the BST here. At least the item is accurately described and no idiotic puffery/light fraud is used to sell it.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
IF there are scummy things on the BST why not PM me to help with them instead of doing nothing but continuously gripe about everything in the world?
I have.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default BST .. Buy/Sell?trade

Then it was taken care of at the time. It is a very active and fluid section so continuing to be vigilant there, without much oversight otherwise (on purpose) will continue. If you have PMd me I don't remember, and you probably did., so thanks for the help. Please continue to alert me of stuff. I promise each situation will be looked at in detail and a reason will be given for whatever the outcome is. One thing I will almost never get involved in is what someone is asking for their item. If they paid $2 yesterday and are asking $1000 today, that is their business. If they use puffery to sell their stuff, but have large clear pictures or other great communication, why should that matter? That doesn't mean anyone can deceive, they can't. IF they say there are no creases, and you absolutely know for sure there are (maybe you owned the card before), then it is ok to say something in that thread or with a PM to me. But if the seller says this is the best card they have ever seen, then nothing should be said about that kind of statement.

With the frequency of transactions there I get almost no complaints of bad stuff going on. It is a testament of our members, they are the best Our BST also has one of the lowest transaction costs anywhere. 0 ...

*And a friendly reminder, to all, it is Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) in the BST , please, please PM me if you have any concerns whatsoever about your trade partner. I get reference checks weekly if not almost daily, and always respond quickly.

Quote:
I have.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Lots of drunk people with their shirts off yelling at cops?
Actually no. I started watching this show and learned about it when my mom was in the hospital for an extended period of time several years ago (part of why I wasn't here on the forum). Ran out of things to watch and enjoyed the show. It's overall really interesting and not trashy. Most of the shirtless goofs were meth heads in Spokane...