NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Paul

I know he's a little too modern for this Board. But I was watching the HOF induction ceremonies and saw how feeble he looked. He is walking with two crutches, the type that have loops that you put your arms through. Does anyone know if he is suffering from MS, ALS, or anything else like that?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Ron

Willie McCovey has undergone more than a dozen knee surgeries in four years and has three more scheduled (this is from a newspaper a few years ago)It is tough watching our heroes grow old.........

Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Rich Klein

That no one will really discuss. I had a friend of mine at ESPN news check into this and he was unable to get any answers other than everyone is very secretive about what is truly wrong with Stretch.

Regards
Rich

Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: joe

Yes, he was honored at the All Star game this year and was using the crutches at the game too.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Joseph

It is always sobering to witness the breakdown of a literal and figurative Giant like McCovey.
As a Mets fan who grew up in the 1960s, Willie will always be the guy I fear most coming up to bat...

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Jason L

well, not really met him, but did say hello at an autograph signing, so you know how that is...
He was slow in starting his signature, which is more wobbly than it used to be, but he was very nice, spoke well, and I was glad for the brief time. I have no insight on his health, and it's none of my business, of course, but I do wish him nothing but the best.

The gentlemen always stand out at those events, even if they can't physically stand.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: peter chao

All I know is the problem with his legs are related to his playing days and his condition is serious. There is some chance that he will lose the use of his legs in the near future. He has not gone public with the details of his leg problems and the media has respected his privacy.

Peter C.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Ron

More from newspaper..........

McCovey's biggest setback, of course, has been his knees. He had trouble late in his career but blames "ill-advised surgeries" for his recent woes. He said procedures designed to help actually hurt, and artificial replacements were inserted. But a staph infection has developed, requiring doctors to remove a replacement. After six to eight weeks, they'll redo the replacement.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Silver King

(Cut and pasted from my response to Sean's thread) My earliest "significant" memory was 1976 and I was 10 years old. I went to the Oakland A's game and in the 9th inning Willie McCovey stepped up to the plate and hit a foul ball straight back behind home plate. I was still wearing my glove and reached up and caught the ball on a line drive. The crowd erupted in cheers and I got my first standing ovation. After the game we stood around waiting for autographs and Willie McCovey came out and got in his car. When I asked for his autograph he told me he didn't sign autographs when they lost the game, I told him I caught his foul ball and then he was more than happy to sign it for me. McCovey only played 11 games for the A's and the American league so it's kind of cool that I have an American League ball with his autograph on it. McCovey has since been inducted into the Hall of Fame and I feel that I have a great piece of memorabilia to show for it. I hope you catch a ball yourself some day. I have been to hundreds of games since that day and have yet to catch another ball.

And then there is the rest of the story....about 3 years after I caught the ball I came home from school and found my 7 year old brother and his friend playing catch with my McCovey ball. They practically ruined it with mud and scrapes and at the time I was devasted. My brother is now 36 years old and an avid collector and he can't believe what he did. He is forever apologetic but nowadays we both laugh about it and wonder how many other kids had their own "Sand Lot" stories.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Paul S

Old 07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: barrysloate

Paul- I can remember opening a pack in 1960 and finding that card...McCovey was one of my favorite players growing up and I was heartbroken when I first saw he needed braces to walk.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: BcD

as do lots of retired Oakland A's and Giants players. He used to drive around in a big Caddy with a license plate "MAC 44". At the mall or at the ballpark he is the nicest,kindest man. he is the exact opposite of Willie Mays in that respect. Doctor Arthur Ting who also operated on Barry bond's knee would know all about Mac. I will ask him as I am getting my fifth shoulder surgery soon and will have easy access to the scoop~

BcD

Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: davidcycleback

Football HOFer and Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell, who played in the 1970s-80s, uses a walker today.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Paul S

Barry -- I remember the first time I had this card (had to have bought it in a pack) because of it's distinctive look. It never made the trip when my family moved across country, but about a half dozen years later when I was "reconstituting" my collection I stopped immediately when I came across it in a row of cards for sale at a local store, and pulled it with a smile. The guy's a killer (meant affectionately).

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: barrysloate

His first game in the majors he went 4 for 4 with two triples, and he was rookie of the year even though he played only about a third of the season. He sure had a sweet swing.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

My most vivid memory of him was him hitting a mammoth home run in St. Louis in the late 60's. My recollection is that it was a Sunday afternoon. Hot summer day. About 35,000 people. Willie hit a pitch that started midway between left center and center field. It was loudly hit and the fans went quiet. The ball didn't arch much, it just kept going up and out. As it got to about where the center fielder had been standing it started to hook a bit to center, as it continued up and out. It landed in center field's upper deck, past where the isle was (in its modern reincarnation this was where it was painted green with the names of players with retired numbers). Willie's swing silenced an already quiet crowd. I can still hear the ball and bat colliding, I can see the ball rise and hook a bit, then bounce around a bit among the empty seats. I can see Willie lumbering toward me as he approached 3rd base, and I can see that big 44 crossing the plate. The longest home run I ever saw. I think one of the longest in that park. Willie's shots could scare those ducks off of the pond.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: Bob

My understanding is Willie Mays was never totally accepted by San Francisco fans as he was viewed as a "New York" Giant. He was admired and respected but never beloved like McCovey.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Willie McCovey

Posted By: peter chao

Actually Orlando Cepeda came before Willie Mac and was more popular originally. It took a while before Willie Mac was accepted because he essentially played the same position as the Baby Bull. There were many Giant fans who were upset because Willie Mac was forcing Orlando into a more minor role on the Giants.

The Giants solved that problem by trading Orlando. Willie Mac has been a Bay Area fixture ever since.

Peter C.