NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Default what do ya'll think - Zeenut w/o coupon

Posted By: leonl

My thinking is this is too high of a grade...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1868134216

regards all

Old 10-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Who let the shrub on the field?

Old 10-12-2002, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

definately too high. It's missing part of the card so can be no higher than VG.

Jay

Old 10-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and some do indeed have coupons. But, he explained, those coupons were worth real stuff, like a catcher's mit, a real baseball, or a radio (later). What kid wouldn't tear them off, and during the depression, what adult?

That's why so few Zeenuts with coupons are found. I believe Lemke lists them without coupons.

I'm going to check, and if I don't come back, I was right about Lemke.

Among all his listings, beginning in 1911, only the 1922, and the 1933-36 (one set) have coupons. Yet he gives three grades.

I think Mark is prouder of his Zeenuts with Coupons than any other feature of any other card.

I'd say, a coupon demands a premium, but a card can be called near mint without one.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

Julie-I just placed an order with Mark recently. He sent out scans real quick and told me how he graded the W series cards which was really helpful.
BTW-In the Vintage and Classic issue #9 you were referring to earlier-Macrae had a huge sale of Zeenuts. You can check it out to see how he graded them and if they had tabs.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Administrator

for those who don't subscribe?

Old 10-13-2002, 04:38 PM
Administrator

and he never mentions the word "coupon." All but 4 or 5 cards are ZeeNuts. One ZeeNut is graded "ex-mint--nearmint" (number 2). Most are lower grades, and he explains what's wrong with most cards. What were you trying to prove?

My ZeeNuts are all Blacksox, except Sleepy Bill Burns who was a Blacksox gambler, and most of them are in --not the best shape. The best is Lefty Williams, with only 2 creases. My McMullin is spiderwebbed with creases--and I paid $600 dollars for it (but I may have paid a premium for Buck Barker's writing all over the bcak). No coupons.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Mark says, a well-cut ZeeNut, no coupon he would grade nearmint; a coupon is a premium over that.

He says he's owned about 110,000 ZeeNuts, and guesses that maybe under 2,000 (NOT all his by any means) have coupons. He owns 650.

Not all oysters will have pearls, he says.

CORRECTION: ONE coupon wouldn't get you a prize. Each year, the company put out a list of premiums, and how many coupons you had to collect to get each.

For 5 cents, you got candy and 1 card, with coupon.

3 types of kids: baseball fans, liked photos. 2) 1919-- early 30s: game: ZeeNut shooting. 3) no interest in gambling or baseball, wanted coupons for prizes.

(all three of these are from different times)

25 coupons--baseball, key chain, toe or heel plate for your shoes, jump rope, collapsable cup, water pistol,
pencil box.

800 coupons: a tool set, a punching bag, a football, tennis racket, soccer ball, catcher's mit, fieldr's glove, wrist watch

500--pepper martin fielder's glove, football.

Of course, what we don't know is what the QUALITY of these things was. We must asssume the 800 coupon football was better than the 500 coupon. But how big, how good a tool set? A leather punching bag? Aregulation football, mit, glove? What kind of tennis racket. 800 coupons--that's $40! You could practically buy a car for that! (Well, not quite...)

It may have just been the trading instinct in kids--whatever you have is better than whatever I have. And of course, no one knew that ZeeNuts with coupons qwould ever be worth anything.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'd have to agree with Mark Macrae (not a hard thing to do). If you downgraded a card just because it didn't have a coupon, then you would have to call it trimmed, and poor condition at best. I think all Zeenut collectors would agree that a nice card without a coupon is not in poor condition.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Then how do you grade a George Miller that has had the coupon trimmed off?

With coupons and w-cards, I think the old school has lost the battle of grading standards and the hobby standard now is that trimming of coupons from the card and strips being seperated no longer affects the grade of the card.

Jay

Old 10-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

I think George C. Millers are different because they had no coupon. The company just whacked off the bottom half of the card. In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), it would be reasonable to grade these cards as poor (but still gradeable). I'd still grade an otherwise excellent Zeenut with no coupon as excellent.

When you get right down to it, it's all just a matter of convention. If collectors generally view Zeenuts without coupons as whole cards, the smart grading companies will grade them accordingly. If collectors feel the same about George C. Miller's, then grading companies will probably follow suit there too. But, it seems to me it will be real tough to come up with a standard where a coupon-less card can never grade any higher than VG, or EX, or whatever grade above poor you pick. If a grading company or a dealer was using such a standard, he would have to be very clear and up front about what he was doing.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Administrator

So I doubt he'd have an opinion about the grading companies (actually, he probably does, but it's too late to call him tonight). The George C. Millers are definitely different--either 1/3 of the actual picture is wackerd off, or the guy looks like he has smallpox. Ugh.

What do you think about Red Mans? I don't collect them myself, byut I know they come with and without tabs.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Administrator

I think Red Mans are the same as Zeenuts. They have a coupon. You were supposed to cut it off. So, you grade a card with no coupon like any other card, and you add a premium if it has a coupon. The tougher question is what to do if it has a badly damaged coupon. Can you really call a card "good" if, by cutting off the coupon, it suddenly becomes near mint?

Old 10-15-2002, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am going to have to have a personal disagreement here (and I might be the only one with this thought). I am not doubting anyone's expertise here, especially Mark's, as he has probably forgotten three times as much as I know....but, I still think a card that is without coupon should not be above gd...I am a stickler on these things (personally) and only have a Zeenut w/coupon....and will soon sell my D381 Flieschman w/o coupon as I found one w/coupon....also, as a type collector I want to see ALL of the card, however it came....even though the tab or coupon might be generic....just my lonely view....regards all

Old 10-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...must have the entire box attached? What about the actual cereal?

Old 10-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's probably good with milk

Old 10-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Administrator

.Nobody said it wasn't even BETTER to have ZeeNut with a coupon than a great one without, and I would think especially for a type collector, the coupon would be desirable.

I was beginning to wonder what to do about ther serial when my Wheaties box got squashed. Stake cerial is the pits--does it get stale in a sealed bag inside ther box?

Old 10-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I've never been into steak cerial myself, either. I don't eat red or white meat, so stick to the fish cerial.

Old 10-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Administrator

I've seen collections that have the entire box flattened. Never seen a box that still had the cereal.

One of my favorite Rosen stories is the time he was advertizing buying 1930s Wheaties cards. He was at a show in SF and I offered him a complete run of Wheaties, including the 1939 100th anniversary set, all on boxes that were only missing their end flaps. He turned them down stating he already had all the Wheaties cards that he needed, LMFAO! Like he was ever buying them at that prices advertized to begin with. Whe he later was offering Wheaties cards for sale/auction, there wasn't a single complete box in the lot. Hmmmm, me thinks he was setting the market price with buy ad after buying real cheap before placing the ad

That was the begining of "I'm not your wholesaler, you are just another customer to me" comment I made to Rosen later in the show when he wanted me to give him a big break on a some cards he wanted from my table.

Jay

Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM
Administrator

The 1939 100th Anniversary set is tough to find, though not as nice looking as the others.