NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The Collector Talks, March 1974 _The George Brace Story

I am going through and organizing my hobby periodicals (never done before) so I can know what I have. I know there are many things I have really never seen before, so it's kind of exciting in a hobby-nerdy kind of way. Here is a neat brochure put out in 1974. The George Brace Story by George Brace. (2nd page is larger due to small wording)

Old 12-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Doug Goodman

I love that stuff.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Thanks for posting Leon

I had the incredibly opportunity to watch Mr. Brace work and speak to him many times when he was snapping pictures at Wrigley Field in the early '80's. I had a part time job at that time as security for the Cubs and my pre-game "post" was on one of the field gates nearest home plate. He was an exceptional man who did what he had to do and left the ball park usually after batting practice. I wish I had known more about his incredible career when I had the opportunity to speak to him about it but I was satisfied at the time to listen to his Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig stories.

I now wish that his daughter get made whole and receive his negatives back but sadly I am afraid that will now never happen.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:38 AM
David Kathman

Yep, I have that issue too, Leon, along with several other issues of The Collector Talks. The article on Rich Egan in this issue (reprinted from the Chicago Tribune) is interesting too. I have a lot of material on Egan and started working on a hobby history post about him a while back, but other priorities have kept me from finishing it.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Yep, I have that issue too, Leon, along with several other issues of The Collector Talks. The article on Rich Egan in this issue (reprinted from the Chicago Tribune) is interesting too. I have a lot of material on Egan and started working on a hobby history post about him a while back, but other priorities have kept me from finishing it.
Always enjoy seeing the pubs. I am sure some more will be posted soon. I am taking my organizing of my periodicals slowly but surely, I think I only have around 6-8 large brown boxes of stuff left.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And as long as we're talkin Burke and Brace, here's a Burke snapshot of Gabby Hartnett:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-29-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Here are the photos/card that are being advertised in the ad. Not sure if they ever got around to offering all of the images they were hoping to. I think I may have 40-50 different or so and the numbering is all over the place. I have never seen any attempt by anybody to catalog the seris but perhaps it has been done. They are on photo/Kodak paper and are 3.5" x 5". Actually really nice looking cards.

-Rhett

Series 1:

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The end...

Going full circle, apparently it didn't work out for this magazine. This was postmarked sometime in 1980...

Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Matthew Glidden

Bumping this thread to see if anyone's undertaken a Bra-Mac catalog effort in the last couple years or can share other ads for these card series sold from George Brace / Burke collection of personal and historical negatives. I have a couple dozen and would love to untangle what numbering systems apply in what order. (Attached a handful of examples from my latest lot purchase.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BraMacFoxxNewsom.jpg (11.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg BraMacTurnerJackson.jpg (18.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg BraMacSothoronHornsby.jpg (8.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg BraMacMcGrawMathewson.jpg (19.1 KB, 213 views)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I still have a bunch of these and do sell duplicates when I get them on ebay and in one of my listings there I have an image of some pages from "Sports Scoop" an early hobby publication (one of the better ones they ever made) that has the first 5 series of (8) cards listed. I have another ad somewhere that talks about the bonus cards being available by purchasing multiple series.

Here is the listing with the first 5 series checklists...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Bra-Ma...QAAOSwpZNccZFx

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-19-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I still have a bunch of these and do sell duplicates when I get them on ebay and in one of my listings there I have an image of some pages from "Sports Scoop" an early hobby publication (one of the better ones they ever made) that has the first 5 series of (8) cards listed. I have another ad somewhere that talks about the bonus cards being available by purchasing multiple series.

Here is the listing with the first 5 series checklists...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Bra-Ma...QAAOSwpZNccZFx
Thanks, you add real value to eBay by sharing that kind of info! Good to see someone goes the extra mile. :-)

Any chance you have higher-res scans of the Sports Scoop listings? At eBay size, can read just a few of the names from those five series.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:56 PM

I bought many postcard size photos from Mr. Brace over the years to get autographed. You would order them and he would send you an invoice and you then sent a payment and any you didn't want back. It took quite a while for him to get an order taken care of since it was just him.
Had him autograph a few pictures of himself also. Also kept all the cancelled checks he signed. He had pictures of many players that you would send a photo to and they would ask where you got it and order some for themselves from him.