NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

Default Piedmont T206 with date stamped on back...

Hello everyone!
Has anyone ever seen a T206 with a factory stamp on the back of the card? I've seen Turkey Red cards with stamps on the backs. The one which comes to mind immediately is the Turkey Red automobile set.

I recently picked up a card which PSA graded a 4(MK). The (MK) is due to the date Nov 28, 1908 stamped on the back of the card.

When did the T206 cards go into printing?

When did they begin getting stuffed inside the packs?

Has anyone seen a date stamp on the back of any T206's and is there any significance to that date?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Scott Levy

Welcome to the board. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable on T206s .. but I do know a bit.

This series was issued from 1909 to 1911.

Your stamp was almost certainly put there by a collector (quite likely the original collector). It was not factory issued. I have seen other time stamps - or more commonly name stamps from collectors on the back of T206s.

Having said that, some collectors actually like the nostalgia of a time-period stamp on the back of a tobacco card, so don't feel too badly about it.

I've heard rumors that cards were used as package stiffeners. But I also know for a fact that several companies considered them to be important marketing premiums - several ads from tobacco companies during that period explicitly advertise that ballplayers come in their cigarette packs (HINDU ads come to mind most readily).

Enjoy the card - it's from my favorite hobby set!

Best Regards,
Scott
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Tim

Hi Joe -

First Welcome to the board. The first T206's were printed and inserted into packs well into 1909. Player selection and artwork for the set took place early in 1909 and the first printings and distribution happened in early summer.

I don't believe there is any significance to the date stamp on your card other than it's a cool addition to the card by a collector over 100 years ago.

If you can post a scan as there are several collectors on the board like myself that enjoy the various stamps found on vintage cards. You never know, there may be more out there just like it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Robert A

Interesting. Not sure why it would be stamped with a date that early.

I've seen quite a few stamped with dates, but never earlier than 1909.

The T37s that you're talking about were stamped at the factory.

Always hard to tell whether a stamp is period or not. Is it purple ink?

Robert

Last edited by caramelcard; 04-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

It's a First Communion present to my Godson. The ink is red.

These were tough pictures to take due to the glare off the PSA case. I found a book on vintage cards too that will accompany the cards. He's getting 2 T206's (this one is Doc White pitching and the other is Billy Maloney), a box full of Nerf stuff and a Ben Franklin. I wanted to get him a HoF'er. And I also wanted to get him someone else who played in the 1800's which I believe Maloney did.

One thing I just realized is it's a Piedmont 350. What would the absolute earliest this card could have been stuffed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White back 1908 2.jpg (86.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg White back 1908 1.jpg (52.7 KB, 318 views)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHighlanderFan View Post
What would the absolute earliest this card could have been stuffed?
Late 1909
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default NYHighlanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHighlanderFan View Post
Hello everyone!
Has anyone seen a date stamp on the back of any T206's and is there any significance to that date?
Many years ago, I acquired approx. 80 dated T206's, of which this card is one of them. They were all stamped with various dates (circa..Fall of 1910).
If we are to conclude that these cards were indeed stamped 100 years ago, this one certainly is reflective of an accurate date. The 350-Only series
T206 cards with a Sweet Caporal (Factory #30) advertising back were issued during 1910.

These cards were very likely stamped by their collector for various reasons. For example he wanted to differentiate them from his brother's (or friend's)
cards.

[linked image][linked image]

TED Z
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Barry Arnold

Default welcome aboard

and great first communion present IMHO.

ted,
great pick up.
always love to think of stories from the ole days when one brother might well be making sure that his cards are definitely differentiated from his sneaky elder brother.

all the best,
barry
Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Barry A

In 1981, the 1963T Rose rookie was selling at $100 (and climbing). Decent T206's were selling for only $2 - $5 each. 1933 Goudey's were selling
for a mere $5 each.
It was a great time to be a BB card set collector. It's when I started putting together these 2 sets. I saw an adv. in the SCD's classified section
selling 200+ Goudey's (including the rare Lajoie). The seller lived in northern NJ, so I left work early one day and drove 65 miles to see him.

He was an elderly fellow, who (along with his brother) had collected these Goudey's as a kid. He first showed me the Lajoie card. It was a nice
card (perhaps in Vg-Ex condition). Then he pulled out 2 groups of cards. The first group of cards (approx. 120) all of which had a punch-hole.
This group included four Ruth's, the two Gehrig's, many HOFer's, and numerous commons.

The second group of cards (80+) each had 2 punch-holes. These were his younger brother's cards.

I passed on this collection, as he wanted too much for it. But, I tried real hard to persuade him to sell the Lajoie separately.....No Dice.

TED Z
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ted

great story.
i'd sure like to have those punch hole cards now---even with 2 punch holes!

all the best,ole buddy

barry