NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default SCD ROSEN NATIONAL NO MAS........

Posted By: mr. moses

not as exciting as a one time New York Post banner with "Headless body found in topless bar" but interesting that the front cover of SCD is tagged with a 3/4 page announcement that the venerable and sometimes self-absorbed dealer Alan Rosen is surrendering his table at the National for his principles (I recall it was a couple/three years ago the "main" entrance doors were changed a bit and he was unhappy). Truth be told - I will not miss my soon to expire SCD as it lacks any real impact to anyone collecting pre-war baseball and 19th century stuff. Hardly the front cover I would care about as I collect vintage cards and the like. The interior is filled with plenty of advertising and fluff but no substance for me. One issue of Vintage Cardboard is worth a years worth of SCD's. As for Mr. Rosen; when he was most influential 10+ years ago he was in my opinion similar to a carnival barker (not that there's anything wrong with that) - his bravado and advertising style which included at least a couple(?) of books helped to get him access to things he could market for more. No problem with that depending how one goes about it as it's the American way (insert flag here). His outspoken style and promotion probably was a good thing for the hobby in it's infancy - as it brought more to the marketplace and more quickly. At a show he was setup to be the first person someone coming in the door with an artifact or card would see. He didn't sell cards or memorabilia; he sold himself. Truth be told - I will not miss him either. Nothing meant here to disrespect Mr. Rosen or SCD - I just feel like I'm watching two vintage fighters that are no longer able to satisfy the audience they seek to please.......

Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I can't help hear the laugh track in the background when words like principles and ethics are mentioned in the same sentence with Rosen and many other notable dealers.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

This is great news for all attending the national--

Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

say it ain't so!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

It would be even better if his space was now going to be occupied by a dealer
selling some interesting stuff...

Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

So what principles were Al Rosen fighting for, was he unhappy that he didn't get the best table. Or was it something more substantive, did they refuse to give him a prime seat at the Mastro dinner?

Peter C.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Rosen was given his usual vulture's perch in Anaheim but the convention center decided to change the crowd flow to another door. Alan threw a hissy fit, the National promoters refused to move everything to accommodate him, and he decided to go on strike. No principle, just more of Mr. Mint's horsecrap.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Didn't he throw a fit at Chicago too?

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

yup yup yup he did

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I was only at the show in Chicago for one day, but I thought it odd that he wasn't right at the entrance to jump on people. Then when I learned where his table was (a really crappy location), I never once saw him at the table. For that matter, I never saw him the whole show. Not that it was any great loss not seeing him.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

Mr. Boblitt,
This is very disheartening news! Do you still want to go?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

I've never been to a show where this guy was, and I'm glad for it. Seeing his mug all over sportscard magazines simply drove me to find him annoying. OK, so he pays money for your cards. So do many other people no?

Anyway, what does this guy do with the cards he buys? Does he have an action house or something? Is he simply a big time collector?

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Bill,

He marks them up and sells them to other dealers.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Mr. Mint did run his own auction for a while.

Peter C.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

It's rather shocking that Rosen never really adapted to the Internet as he appears to live only within the pages of SCD. You don't see him on eBay, Auctionreport or even issuing a catalog or anywhere else. He has remained loyal to SCD over all these years and I will not miss him on Friday when I go to the Nat'l. I always found him to be a bit daft and obnoxious.

Bob

Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

is him sitting at the table eating a greasy Italian beef sandwich. He will not be missed.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

"hey you!!!!,yeah,yeah you!!!!,whata ya got in the bag????,come mere!!!leme see!!!!i'm buying!! i got a suitcase full of cash!!cash!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I won't miss "What do you mean you won't give me a discount? I'm a big time dealer. Don't you know who I am?"

I will miss telling him "Yeah, I know who you are and I'm not your wholesaler!!!"

Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

that much like the magazine he continues to pump $ into for advertising, he has become irrelevant to the hobby.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

The place: One of the spring Strongsville shows in the early 1990s (back when that one was one of the better shows of the year). Rosen and some crony are shouting to each other across the aisle, making sure that as many people in the room can hear.

Crony: "So where we goin' to dinner?"

Rosen: "Someplace better than last night I hope (smarmy laugh)."

Crony: "I heard (name of restaurant) is good."

Rosen: "Do they got lobster? They gotta have lobster. Big ones. I'm a lobster kind of guy, you know?"

Old 08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: R Duff

a T-206 Cobb card (Green background) to possibly Rosen many years ago for a 76T Dave LaRoche error card. Turned out to be a bad deal as I was given very bad information on the scarcity of the LaRoche error.