NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default meet you fellow collectors

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

That's how the cards were dealt out, and believe me I'm not complaining.
This year I'm heading towards 76 and it's been one hell of an interesting ride.
It's been a fun ride in the card world.
As a ten year old in 1941 NYC my first cards from the candy store were the 1941 Play Ball's.
That was the first cards that I ver flipped with the other school kids.
Then eventually I discovered girls, and they flipped me.
It wasn't until 1982 that I re entered card collecting again.
I started innocently by collecting Valenzuela rookie cards, from there I worked myself backwackwards towards the 1941 Play Ball and collected the set.
It was inevitable that the ever popular since it's conception T206 set would mesmerize me and add me to the list of worshipping indentured slaves.
I have two T206 sets.
1. The very nice condition set missing just one card from the known T206 check list, is a set that was like an unplanned child, the results of a large tobacco purchase at a "Lee" San Francisco show. .. late '80's. .... very proud of this set.

2. My second set, the beater set, was actually the original set that I started.
It's made up of cards that were loved by every T206 collectors that ever lived.
It's missing just 11 cards from the known T206 check list, and believe it or not. it's my favorite set of the two.

Complete T205 frontal set.

20 of the 25 needed for the T217 set.

Complete T201 set.

Complete T209 type I set.

219 of the T209 type II set.

I'll stop here and just say 'Saludos fellow collectors."

Joe P.

Oops, I forgot, I'm in Virginia.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

29 years old

Bloomington, IL currently (but I've also lived in New Orleans, Austin, Birmingham, Albuquerque, and Houston in the past 12 years)

Diamond Stars, E95, C46, and anything I can find a bargain on

Assistant Professor of Psychology

Old 02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

1. 47 years old. Arrggh.
2. Grand Rapids Michigan
3. Director of Quality for a company that makes hard hats, weld helmets, etc
4. Main focus is a Detroit player from every set pre-1915 or so. I've branched off a little into T206 HOF portraits in G-VGEX condition or so - they are just so great looking. I also pick up caramels of non-Detroiters here and there if I like them. OK. I'll just face it. Although my focus is still Detroiters, I have definitely strayed into "see it like it buy it" land. Not a good thing sometimes!

Joann

Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

I am surprised that after 52 replies, there is just two of us from MA.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

1. 45 yrs old
2. Married almost 12 years. (Wife got me a PSA 5 T3 Speaker for our 10th anniversary)
3. 3 kids, 10, 9, & 7.
4. Live in central Texas
5. Work as an equipment maintenance technician in the semiconductor industry, for about 15 years now.
6. Currently trying to collect Novelty Cutlery & PC796 Sepia postcards. (please help!)

Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Jason-

There are a few more, but not many. Compared to the volume of collectors on the West Coast, New York, and the Midwest, New England seems like a pre-war collector dead zone.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DaveW

I'm 56, and live near Spokane, WA. I'll agree that there isn't too much vintage in the Norhtwest, though we've had a few here so far. I still work but plan on retirement at the end of this year.

I basically inherited 75% of a T206 collection, that's the only type of card I've ever bought except as a kid when I wanted the gum. I've never sold a card.

I have a few T205 and T210, but have only focused on the monster.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DaveW

deleted duplicate - my wife started 20 questions, I got distracted

Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

35 years old.

General Contractor/Real Estate Broker in downtown Chicago, married with 2 kids.

Started a d359/e104-1 set last year and need 6 for completion.
Started a d304 set last year and need 9 for completion.
Collecting color Cobb, Wagner, Jackson and rare back hofers.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

Not from MA, but nearby in Cumberland, RI (just north of Providence)

Acknowledging my login name, the '50s stuff is my mainstream & favorite--Have most of my boyhood originals from 1948 to mid '50s--sets & singles, all sports & Non-sports cards and misc programs, magazines, books, autographs, newspaper clippings, etc--even ViewMaster reels.

Unlike most of you, I have been reducing my collection via EBay the past 6 yrs, rather than adding to it.

My favorite PreWar were the 1889 Old Judges I had, but eventually sold them all.

My name is Fred Young, am a retired 66 yr old and married to a wonderful wife and have a teenage daughter in high school.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: deric

i'm 25 years old, from Harrodsburg KY, with a 4 year old son- 2 year old girl and a wife thats hates all that i collect, i collect T206's and T3 turkey reds, and any photo from that era that i come across. i work for Toyota and buy when i can- life is good!!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm Al.

Jersey.

Higher-grade '38 Goudeys, HOF type cards, lower-grade T205s, higher-grade W502s, R303s, R311s, and E121s with Henry Johnson backs.

-Al

Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

1. 26 Years Old
2. Calgary Alberta Canada
3. Proofreader who may go into IT
4. I am working on contemporary/rookie(or close to) issues of every Hall of Famer. I only started recently, so I am working through the 3000 hit club first. I would also love to start a Joe Jackson collection too. And if I get the chance I would like to work on a 1933 Goudey, and a 1948 Leaf set. I also collect books, particularly autobiographies.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Hello, Justin-
Got an iron ring from the U of Calgary in 1983. Wife was raised around Lethbridge. Great country down there. In-laws in Okotoks said it was chinooking today. Still too cold for me.

DMcD

Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Miller

I am 58 years old
I retired after 26 years in the Army
I think I am the only collector on the board from South Dakota
I have complete sets of PSA 5 or better 1953 Topps with second in lesser condition(should sell it),1957 Topps, 1960 Topps, 1961 Topps, 1966 Topps, 1967 Topps,1971 Topps, and 1972 Topps. I then started collecting T3 Turkey Reds after my friend Keith O'Leary steered me in that direction and I have never stopped.(I have a total of 43 graded) I enjoy T206s,Old Judge and a multitude of any old such as N162s and N184s. I also collect N2 Indians. I should sell but seldom do. Always appreciate the knowledge I acquire from Network54.
I have four grown children and one at home.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

48 (I think)

Another Mass-hole, South Boston

Fire lieut.

Married to a wonderful girl. Have two super boys and two funny grandkids.

Started collecting in the 60's with Bruins cards. Now, slowly upgrading current low-grade prewar HOF's from several issues, have a few select modern Greats for the grandkids.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich H.

35 years old
live in Dallas, TX
surgeon, married with 5 month old daughter

Just completed a 59 high grade set. T206 set is almost completed (93%) with a PSA gpa of 5.27. Also collect T205, 1915 Cracker jack, 1933 Goudey, 1952 Topps, 1955 Topps.

Looking at possibly collecting other type cards and caramels - but don't really know where to start. I've been watching and learning through board members' posts - thank you all for being such wonderful resources for information (and very entertaining at times, too...)

Rich H.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Barry Arnold
56, Pensacola, Florida
Professor and Director, Center for Health Care Ethics;
Private practice counseling
Semi-retirement is wooing, although folks say i've been semi-retired for
my whole career.
Collect only T206s--10 to go before the big 500.

all the best,

Barry

Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James

1)23
2) Toronto, ON
3) Vintage hockey

Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

age 46

Marana, Arizona

E121 New York Americans series of 120 and All Elmer Miller card types

also Topps Cubs 1951 to current (have all topps and topps update cards errors and variations)

Old 02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

My name is Dylan and I will be 24 years old on Wednesday. I have been an on and off college student but hopefully over the next few years I'll complete my B.A. and hopefully move on to grad school, or a promising career.

I stumbled across this board last summer and have immersed myself in pre war baseball since. I found myself most attracted to the classic Tobacco and Caramel like cards. My goal is to put together a type card set of every color tobacco sized card from the era. That means almost all the E1 & some of the Tobacco sets, (doesnt mean i wont make room for an E107 or T209-2) and a sprinkling from D,M,N, etc. I like to collect atleast cards that present VG, and if available shoot for higher grade examples from sets where there more attainable (obak,T207,T206,Etc) My favorite sets are the more obscure ones but i still shoot for atleast examples that present well. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have examples from over half of the 70+ sets. I also like to collect all the different backs from these sets as well.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Brokelman~

at card hobbiest functions just before the alcohol starts rollin I am Scott Brockelman

jouneyman collector

Big Guy
and deal maker~

T-204's
E-107's

and other stuff you guys traded and sold me.

thanks

BcD

Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would appreciate it if no one talks about others in this thread....especially logging in and putting someone else's name by the post...thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K@sel

I'm 33, married for 10 years this June, two kids (4y/o boy & 1y/o girl) living in Madison, WI (HOME TO THE #1 RANKED BADGERS!). Just found out yesterday that my daughters VDS (hole in her heart) "spontaneously" closed itself since last April so a huge weight has now been lifted. Cards come and go, my kids are the ONLY truly important thing in my world.

Interests in collecting are - pre-war only, tobacco and caramel. My collection really resembles my office desk....just a mess but every piece is important to me! I really can't stand modern baseball, but the origins and dead-ball era facinate me.

Outside of cards my personal interests lie in the history of the American Revolution (reading John Adams now by David McCullough, just finished 1776), also love to play basketball, sand volleyball, and golf.

Graduate of UW-Madison...killed way too many brain cells in my twenty's, now they are all being destroyed by listening to the Wiggles and Barney.

To pay the way I am a consultant for a national technology and accounting firm.

Love the board and the release that vintage cards affords me.

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: H Murphy

Hugh Murphy
Located 45 min northwest of Boston
47 years old, Diehard Boston pro and college sports fan
started collecting prewar about 6 years ago, trying to focus on getting one each of the tougher sets mostly with the help and advice of you guys and this great site. GO SOX!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

Daryle Barbee
Age--36
Work in very large Rug/Carpet Manufacturing Plant, one of biggest in US (Maples Ind)
Collecting since 11 years old (1982)
1st pre war card---1933 Goudey #206 Gus Suhr (still have it. Uncle found it in an old trunk in a run-down house. Have had several more of this card but always keep this one)1st T206s in 1985 from Fritsch---5 card lot w/ 1 HOFer, Bresnahan for $17--- still have 4 of those 5.
Collect---little bit of everything, but mainly pre-1980s and on limited budget but have completed my favorite sets (1888 N28 Allen & Ginter; 50 cards, 1941 Play Ball and 1952 Topps with variations of Page/Sain and the Campos Black Star, 1953-54 Topps; 1956 Topps and still working on '55 Topps)
Single (have girlfriend)

Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Daniel Enright.
38 years old, look 10 years older than I did 5 years ago....girl 4, boy almost 3, wife that travels too much for her job..
I'm a stay at home dad these last four years, about to be released back into society and hope to open a shop on the main street of....
Live in Lawrence Kansas, recently moved from Chicago, not sure where we'll end up. Jayhawks are fun to root for though!
Collect HOFers more or less, only one type to represent so I do alot of procrastinating before deciding which issue to portray which player.
Like football and basketball (especially college) more than baseball, but love those little old bits of cardboard nonetheless

I learn something new on the board all the time - "Hey Mark, Jewish Bullfighters...?"

Daniel

Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Collect: Prewar HOF's, anything Red Sox, whatever catches my eye.

FRED YOUNG-I saw you are from Cumberland, RI. Do you by chance know a couple there by the last name of Gumbly?

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

-Generally, I'm 35yo, married, blessed w/2 sons, and have enough debt to get in the way of the American Dream!
-Connecticut (formerly Chicago, Sydney, Washington DC, NYC)
-Portfolio Mgr (was an environmentalist, but that didn't pay, so now it's one of my hobbies)
-Collect (in order of relevance to the Board): pre-war Cubbies, family-related memorabilia from 30-40s, 1950s-70s baseball, player collections of Ozzie Smith, Kirby Puckett, and Walter Payton). I prefer graded material, which is my effort at preserving objective value for the collection, and also to help in the fight against buying fakes, since I am still new to this era of collecting...even though fakes are unlikely in my sub-$100 buying range.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Rob Shaw
41 years old
Live in Sacramento, CA. Born near St. Louis, MO.
Married w/3 kids.
Decendent of Silver King (Charles Frederick Koenig). Looking for anything with the name Silver King on it. Expanding to his teammates and any memorabilia of the time.
I just recently started re-collecting, haven't collected cards since the A's were my team in the 1970's. My collecting back then was typical, rode my bike to the pharmacy with my friends and we all sat around opening up packs hoping for a Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Gene Tennace, Rollie Fingers, or Reggie Jackson.
Currently concentrating on the 1880's mostly collecting N172's and a couple cabinet cards. Also, recently picked up some old judge advertising, photos of baseball, several other tobacco items all from the late 1800's. Got some cool old things.
Just finished reading the Beer & Whiskey League last night, currently reading the SABR 19th Century Stars.
Best baseball highlight: Oakland A's in 1976, I was 10 and caught Willie McCovey's foul ball and got his autograph after the game.

robert shaw

Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

Come on now leon. Do you not know why I jokingly posted the above???
Scott would think it was funny as it was meant to be!

and my name is in the log in so it's quite obvious it was me!

BcD

Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

I'm 52 and live in the SF-Bay Area.

I just finished my '57 Topps set and now going further back in time. I have a handful of T-206's and '33 and '34 Goudeys.

Peter

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Bill- The best part of this thread was the news about your daughter. I am happy for you.
tbob

Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Bill - good news about your daughter! Hope everything is ok from here on out for you and your family!

Richard

Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

47. I had been lurking off and on for some time. I am really impressed with the level of discussion here but have been silent because my collection is on the other side of the country. I started buying Topps in 67 and soon started buying the older stuff via the mail, flea markets, and one very early show (1971?). Picked up a lot of t206's around 1970-72 and have been in and out of the hobby ever since. I don't so much collect entire sets but select players that are well known from sets that I like, such as E-90's, CJ's, E-135'2, M101-4/5's, and E121's. I am always interested in the Pirates, along with the Giants, White Sox and everybody else.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Mark, 35 (Led to believe), married with a 2 yr. old King named Oliver; all of Bridgeport, CT - although born and raised in the Bronx, NY.

Collect all the obscrure and loved(aka:lower-grade) which at this time is the afforded/justified route.

Passion was the T207 set (minus 7), then moved on to D's, odd ball E, R & T,
proof/test/miscut/blank back/off-register etc. kinda stuff.

Also into post-WWII regionals.....

Mark
mrios@hotmail.com

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Ken Cohen
55 years old from Alexandria, VA
US Department of State Foreign Service Officer (retired)
Missed a lot of collecting time having been 22 years overseas
Terribly undisciplined collecter - all over the map. Favorites I suppose are T205, T206, E93-95-95-120, 33 Goudey, 34 Diamond Star (have the set) and 41 Play ball (have the set)

To Bill - I don't know you but I rejoice in the wonderful turn of events regarding your daughter. I say to myself often that I have no idea what I would find to worry about if it wasn't for my kids (Mine are in their early 20s now). Ultimate joy - ultimate stress. Kind of makes being the underbidder on a '14 CJ Jackson seem rather inconsequential (which it is).

Oh yes - just completed pre-war set - T200.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Greetings,

I've been 47 years on da planet!
Retired Navy Sub Sailor(I'm Freeeeee
Love to read & research anything Baseball historically. I Just Luv Baseball!!!
I'm tryin' to be a type card collector, although the T200 & M116 sets are very appealing to me~

San Antonio, Tx

"Nice to meetcha"

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

At age 68, I think I am the oldest here..........the T-Rex dinosaur of this Forum.

Married with two Daughters, Debbie and Zoe, and three Grand children.
Retired....AT&T - Bell Labs senior electronics engineer
Live near Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania

I have enjoyed the challenge of having completed all the major BB card sets from 1887 to 1986.
I have multiple sets of N162, T206, 1933 Goudey, 1941 Play Ball, 1949 Leaf, 1949 Bowman, and
1952 Topps.
Approx. 95 % of my collection is in it's "naked" form in mylar sheets in albums....and, that's the
way I prefer it.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Joe P up there posting 2/19 at 8:15 p.m. has us all beat at a young 75 going on 76.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Thanx for bringing this to my attention....Joe P hasn't posted in over a year.

Now, I feel younger.

TED Z

Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

54 years old/live in chicago area
collect 33-35 goudey good-vg/ex
34-36 diamond stars good-ex
e cards low grade
t206 stars
topps 1956-64 sets (57&58 are my favorites)
topps 52-55 stars
bowman 55 set (love this one!)
bowman 50's stars

Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Why not . . .

33 years old
Live in Westland, MI (suburb of Detroit)
19th Century Detroit collector, captivated by the study of the team.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Daniel--

Actually, there was only one to my knowledge -- Sidney Franklin (nee Frumpkin) of Brooklyn. A fascinating charachter who fought bulls in both Spain and Mexico, palled around with Hemingway, and appeared in a couple of movies. I picked up his autographed postcard on eBay (Madrid 1930). Mark

Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Danny

Danny..
New York City..
27 years old..

Started at age 4 when dad buys me 1983 packs every time he took me to buy milk..

Collect Deaf Baseball Players..

Dummy Hoy
Dummy Taylor
Richard Sipek
and few names during 1900's who played few games..

1933 Goudey
T-207

Go Vintage-
Til then...

Old 02-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

Hi Bill--

Have lived here in Cumberland about 12 yrs, but do not know a Gumbly family.

I just checked the phone book & there is a Donald GumblEy listed, but I don't know him.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

Also from Rhode Island here. 45 y/o married to a great wife and father to a wonderful 9 y/o daughter. Collect pre-1920 Red Sox for the past few years. Have been lucky picking up some nice pieces. Cards are just a small part to the collection as I only have a dozen more or less.

Good to hear there are other Rhode Islanders and other Massachusetts locals on here. What local shows do you guys attend? I usually only get to the Wilmington Ma show.

Greg

Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hines

I am 33 (until April that is)
Living in Puyallup, WA (1 hour SE Seattle) will be moving to the Eastern Shore of VA in June
Work for the US Coast Guard
Married with 3 children
I have collected any Cincinnati Cards for ever but have just narrowed to 19th century, T204 Ramly, E107 Breisch-Williams and Sporting News Supplements Cincinnati. I also try to snatch up any cards of my great-great-grand uncle Paul Hines when they show up.

Tom

Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pat

i am 37

new jersey

t206s and i have a few 1952 topps registry sets. one of them is #9th on the master list, but i know they do not count since they are not prewar.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm 38, an art historian and resident of West Seattle (hilly district in Seattle). I haven't collected much recently, but follow what others collect-- both locally on this board.

(view of downtown Seattle from West Seattle)