NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Has ebay created insanity?

I am going to post a private email because I think it is comical as all hell. I am not mentioning names or ID's but this is just great! I had a transaction with this guy back in January and we both left excellent feedback. I then tried to bid today and noticed I was blocked!! I wrote and asked him why and this was the response:

It?s because of detailed seller ratings. Because of EBay?s new feedback system, sellers are required to hold a 95% satisfaction rating in all four categories the detailed seller ratings. The ramifications of which include loss of search standing, increased fees and suspension. Because of this new system, I have had to block many good customers because they do not realize or understand these ramifications.

When ever my detailed seller ratings drop and only one person has left feedback, I know that they did not leave 5 stars in all four categories. I then have to block them from future transactions to protect my business. I?m sorry that it has to be that way, but like I said, I have to protect my business.
I hope you can understand.
Thank you

END OF EMAIL

So I may have left him a 4 in a category and I get blocked.

You can't write stuff this funny!

Dan
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Rawn Hill

Default Yes

Because of ebay's ever changing rules, it does breed insanity as well as stupidity.

Rawn
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed that it's crazy

I agree their feedback rating system is crazy. Only on ebay can you get booted for being "very good".....which is a 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Peter Wilk

In light of Ebay's new policy regarding feedback, it is very important to both leave and receive 5 star in all category feedback. Why did you leave him a 4 in one category? Are you not aware of ebay's policy?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Are you kidding me?? I have no idea why I may have left a 4. If item came 10 days after paypal payment or shipping was high, who knows? I sell and don't follow that crap that closely.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Rich Klein

Default Just one of the many reasons

I now do almost ALL my card purchasing of anything that is not a new wax box from the BST boards here - EBay is not used anymore by me for anything.

Rich

Between the usage of pay pal only; this 5 star rule and other goodies -- EBay and I no longer are compatible
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Dan Bretta

A recent ebayer left me only 4 stars for shipping recently on an item that I lost money to ship....I emailed him and asked why he didn't give me 5 stars and that I had lost money and his reply to me was "I could have shipped it cheaper"....How I could have shipped it cheaper I have no idea (I suppose I could have lied and said it was a book and sent it book rate, but I don't do stuff like that) but what are you going to do? I have no idea why ebay is penalizing sellers who get a "very good" rating, but they are.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM

The feedback rating does not make sense. I sold a card with free shipping. I sent it by USPS Priority Mail and the bidder received it within 3 days of paying. He left me a 4 for shipping. I asked him why and he said I could have sent it by express mail.

Last edited by David Halpen; 05-27-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Halpen View Post
The feedback rating does not make sense. I sold a card with free shipping. I sent it by USPS Priority Mail and the bidder received it within 3 days of paying. He left me a 4 for shipping. I asked him why and he said I could have sent it by express mail.
That is completely asinine!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
M@rk Lu7z

If ebay insists on this foolish system, they should establish an appeals process for sellers who get screwed on feedback.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Steven Finley

I only use ebay now if I absolutely have to. I have discovered that their customer service is only slightly a notch above that of Comcast. Which in turn places it still below Shady Nate's Auto-Body repair and Crack Dealer down the street.
Bottom Line.... It's a joke.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
qualitycards

eBay's rating system is a mess
a seller can only post Positive feedback, while the buyer can post anything
for any reason he chooses.
Once paid, I ship out that day or the following morning, but if it takes awhile for
the post office to deliver it to the buyer, I can get fried w/ neg feedback or low stars.
So I just go w/ the flow, nothing you can do.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Has any seller been penalized / blocked by ebay for being rated 4 out of 5 in service?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Has any seller been penalized / blocked by ebay for being rated 4 out of 5 in service?
I am sure some sellers have been warned and had their monthly discounts (for volume sellers) reduced due to 4 stars....
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Jason

Default No one has yet mentioned...even though it's inferred

That the obvious problem with the seller's block is that he is protecting his business by shrinking his pool of potential customers ....--which is a very unusual way of expanding your business.

and it is very easy to hit the 4 stars instead of 5 simply by mistake or an inadvertent shake of the mouse...

and to the above post regarding express mail...where does it stop? You gonna receive 3 stars some day because you didn't walk it over to his house?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Jim R

I seem to remember getting a ebay note saying if any catagory goes below 4.3 your account will be suspended. Not sure for how long. with this system you can still get several 4s before it becomes a problem.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Joe Jesselli

Have you noticed that if you don't leave feedback for a purchase and the item is about to "expire" as "live," eBay marks the item:

You haven't left feedback yet. Problem with the item? Don't miss the deadline for filing a case.

Seems like they're encouraging trouble...

Btw, I almost never leave feedback if pay for an item in nine seconds and the seller hasn't left feedback for me.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Alan U

Default Shipping

The only ebay feedback category I have a problem with is the "shipping charges"

4 stars is "Reasonable:
5 stars is "Very Reasonable"

If you charge actual shipping costs that seems "Reasonable" to me, but only 4stars are earned when I think if actual shipping costs or less are charged the seller should earn 5 stars.

This seems like ebay has went overboard to make sellers offer "free shipping" since they don't get their vig on the shipping costs.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Default The solution

Sell your cards here.
Sell your other stuff on Craig's List.
Keep your money and your sanity.
But you can still purchase on Ebay because it's completely catered to the buyer (and the "store owner")

That is if you can find anything there. The selection of material for auction has gone so far down it's pathetic. You can't even tell what market value is on anything because of all the ridiculous BIN's by sellers. They all have them jacked up so high just hoping some sucker will come along and bite. I'm sure the recession has a lot to do with it but Ebay needs to look in the mirror if they want that kind of traffic to come back.

Last edited by Chesbro41; 05-27-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default It is no joke

I got booted at one point because the rolling average of my DSR fell below 4.0 or whatever. I was livid at the time. I can understand the idea of blocking a bidder who wasn't a 5 star rater just to avoid a future problem.

The problem is with Ebay's draconian system, not with the seller.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
R Dixon

Default Just a Thought

Has anyone considered auctioning off cards on the BST? I haven't really thought it through...maybe it wouldn't work. Just a thought
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Doug C.

The new system is stupid when "very good" can get you suspended. I always offer free shipping and insurance on everything I list, but somehow I have a 4.5 rating for shipping charges.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:50 PM

As already noted, 4 can get you banned, but bidders are explicitly told 4 means "Very Good." Many bidders are reasonably and rationally assuming that when they give a 4, they are giving a positive review. If bidders were told a 4 means Sub Par or Below Average, then it would be a different story. 99.99 percent of the English speaking world interprets "very good" as a compliment, a clear statement of approval. Why? Because, as evidenced by any English dictionary you pick up, that's what it means.

Last edited by drc; 05-27-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default Leon auctioned off a very expensive card in BST

as a test to see if the Brockleman/Luckey partnership could expand on that card. Leon did well and B&L was born.

This is, of course, IIRC

Rich

P.S. If I'm wrong; peasant Leon can just delete this post and we'll all move on with your lives
Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Mike

How do you find how an individual buyer rated you in each catagory ? I only see my totals. Thanks Mike
Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Jerry
Jer.ry Fic.chi

Would it be appropriate, and feasible, to auction an item on the BST? I see it as something of a "closed bid" auction where an item would be posted/described and a time frame given where bids will be accepted. Interested parties would email their top bid to the seller and the highest bid wins the item at completion. Obviously, some underhanded things could happen. Since it is "closed", the seller could bypass a top bid and sell to a friend instead, alert a potential bidder of the current high bid so he could top it, or decide at its conclusion that the bids didn't go high enough and hold on to the item. I suppose members could post their bids on net54 for all to see; one reply must top the prior. Leon, is this something you'd give your blessing to?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Auction on the BST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mitt View Post
Would it be appropriate, and feasible, to auction an item on the BST? I see it as something of a "closed bid" auction where an item would be posted/described and a time frame given where bids will be accepted. Interested parties would email their top bid to the seller and the highest bid wins the item at completion. Obviously, some underhanded things could happen. Since it is "closed", the seller could bypass a top bid and sell to a friend instead, alert a potential bidder of the current high bid so he could top it, or decide at its conclusion that the bids didn't go high enough and hold on to the item. I suppose members could post their bids on net54 for all to see; one reply must top the prior. Leon, is this something you'd give your blessing to?
First of all I would have to say it is Caveat Emptor over there. That being said I do think an auction can be done, and as my good friend Rich K. alluded too, I have already done it. I had decent luck at it too. There has to be a ton of trust on the bidders parts and clear, up front communication on the sellers part. There were 4-5 bidders on the card I auctioned and I think it went very smoothly....with someone hitting a Buy It Now (it was always there) after several days into the auction. I am not sure I totally condone it as it's so risky (with issues in general)....All of that being said if you lay everything out on the table (whatever your rules will be) then I don't have a problem with it. It was also done one other time when a friend auctioned a fairly high valued item off...and as far as I know that too went fine. If someone does one I don't want to hear there was a problem and can I help, because I can't force anyone to do anything. Regular governmental laws prevail. Also if a deal gets totally messed up I might not let those individuals do another BST auction, depending on the situation. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 05-27-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Johnny S

If ebay suspends sellers due to stupid idiot moron buyers then it is loss of income for them so it really doesn't make any cents for anybody.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM

be serious......this isn't an auction site. it would be a total mess
Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM

"stupid idiot moron buyers" I guess this is me for leaving a 4 instead of a 5 if the item was shipped 10 days after paypal payment or I was charged $5 for something that arrived with a stamp on it.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Johnny S

No Dan, not you at all, I was refering to buyers who are blatantly ripping off sellers and causing problems. I don't even pay attention to the ratings, if ebay suspends my acct more power to them. Sorry you thought I was refering to you. Most buyers are really great, I don't sell that much but noticed a trend of buyers asking for tracking numbers the next day and if I didn't send it DC they were asking for a refund a day after that as not received. I had to raise my shipping from 2.oo to 3.00 so I could get confimation on everything because I had a string of buyers saying they never received the card or cards. If a buyer does that on a 10.00 transaction to 100 sellers he is up 1000.00 over the course of a year or months so it is quite the little scam some are pulling.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

no sweat Johnny, I actually agree with you though I don't think I am an unreasonable buyer for dropping a 4 for the situations I stated. I sell myself and try to ship next day and charge $3 shipping and insurance is always optional as I feel postal insurance is the 2nd largest legal scam behind priority mail for light items. Dan
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

I once again agree with you Johnny, that all makes very good sense. Though if you print your shipping labels through paypal, a stiff package at 2oz cost $1.40 and the delivery confirmation is .19 totalling $1.58. At $3 shipping I cover all the materials plus the shipping charge and I am about even Steven. Dan.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've left 4s... and less a few times, if the amount charged for shipping is significantly more than they spent. Sellers should buy a plain envelope and reuse bubblewrap... Don't pass on to the buyer $1.00 for a new padded envelope.

The new system is a mess... they shouldn't drop at 4.3 average, but maybe below 3.0. Then feedback could be honest. Also, multiple 1s and 2s should NOT be offset with 5s, there should be a system beyond the simple recent average that takes into consideration multiple low scores.

I may well try to auction a T206 on the BST... I'll list it, folks can post offers. Post only if offering more than the last offer. No time limit ('cause the time limit factor on eBay, with sniping, renders it something other than a true auction). I'll announce at some point that the auction is about to close, or that the auction ends for lack of a sufficient bid. We'll see if we end up with a transaction, something additional to whine about, or both.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-27-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Frank Wakefield

OK..... just to see if it can be done, I've started an auction of a T206 of George Mullin, horizontal, Piedmont 150... Rouse the naysayers!!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Adam M.

An auction should be just that -- the item sells to the highest bidder. None of this "I am canceling the auction as I don't think the bids were sufficient." If someone is not willing to accept whatever the highest bid is, then an auction is not the right match for them. It's not right to waste every bidder's time.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Ebay Feedback is a Farce

It is possible to leave an overall positive rating and glowing praise in the description, but give just one star in all of the categories. How does that make sense? There ought to be some checks and balances like forcing you to leave a neutral rating with a three star average and a negative rating with a one star average.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Frank Wakefield

Some auctions have a reserve, Adam. And as I look this morning it has reached 9.75, so it is sufficiently high that I'll sell it. I do thank you for posting that here, instead of miring up the auction by posting in the BST.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 AM
marty

Dan,
Don't get me started on shipping fees. One of my pet peeves. I don't mind paying for what I get but I hate getting cards in a letter envelope with a stamp on it after paying $3 to $5 or more in shipping fees. That drives me nuts. I peruse ebay looking for bargains so when I find one, the seller trys to juice his pockets by skimping on shipping. It doesn't happen a lot, most of the sellers are pretty good about shipping especially since ebay enacted the newest feedback system where you can rate the shipping costs.

oh well, of my box. Back to the point. I have not sold a card on eBay in a long long time. 2 years maybe. I buy cards off ebay weekly and would hate to see that avenue die off. Another note, I did recently sell on old laptop on eBay. Things went flawless so its still a great way to hock your wares.

Last edited by martyogelvie; 05-29-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
David Goff

Yeah, I never really understood why sellers were suspended if their rating was 4.3 or less. So when was 4 out of 5 stars a bad thing? Most of the time, sellers should expect to get 4 stars. 5 stars are perfect and not one seller is perfect. I never look at the ratings anyway, still look at the overall feedback %.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Another issue

Is that the DSR categories don't cover every element of the deal. All it covers is accuracy of description, communication with seller, speed of shipment and reasonableness of shipping charges. Nowhere is there a place to rate the seller on packaging. So if I get a damaged item because the packaging was not adequate, as happened recently, I leave a low rating ... where? And the system is in need of refinement. There should be some way to prevent a buyer from dinging a seller for slow shipment when the item was shipped in accordance with the stated shipping terms in the listing. I had that happen to me, where I shipped as advertised but the buyer wanted it faster than that. And you should never get dinged for shipping charges when shipping is free; that DSR option should be auto-filled as a 5.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-28-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Rawn Hill

Default Frank's auction

I think it is a great idea to have the auction on the B/S/T Frank. Many times I have thought of doing the same thing as I really have no idea as to the value of most of my collection and have had many great experiences on the BST. Perhaps a new auction category with a one week time limit? What auction house wants to take in consignments for under $100, this could be a great place to parcel out some low dollar items.

Rawn
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hey there...

Thank you.

I've stumbled upon a plan, at least for this auction of the Mullin horizontal, one that I think will work.

The bids came in, and got to a point where I figured I could part with the card. (I'd listed it as an auction, didn't specify absolute or reserve.)

Less than 24 hours into it, a satisfactory minimum was reached. I contacted the bidder, and asked when he'd be around the pc, a convenient time for him for the auction to end. He said 10am Sat.

So the auction ends after 5 minutes of no more higher bids, after the time he suggested.

"I have a bid of $12.50, going once... "

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-29-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Mike Mccullough

Default Ebay crap

Can anyone tell me how my DSR rating can go down from 4.9 to 4.8 in the shipping category when I offer free shipping on all of my listings??? This just knocked me down from the 20% to the 15% discount range.. I absolutely can't stand Ebays new system.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamcardscria View Post
Can anyone tell me how my DSR rating can go down from 4.9 to 4.8 in the shipping category when I offer free shipping on all of my listings?

I've had the same issue. I always offer free shipping and I don't have a 5 star rating either. I agree with the idea above that if you offer free shipping that it should automatically be filled in a 5. People also must have unrealistic expectations about how fast they think they should get their item. 99% of the time I send stuff out the same day or at worst the next morning and my shipping time rating is the same as my shipping cost one. I can't control how fast the postal service delivers it after I send it.

Last edited by Doug; 05-29-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Frank Wakefield

Mike, Doug, that could happen when someone gives you a 4 - Reasonable rating for shipping charges when they are annoyed by something else... such as:

- too many emails
- not enough emails
- poor packaging
- long time before item is delivered
- a shipping mark showing item was shipped several days after payment.
- an email saying I have to leave the seller all 5s.
- and the one that annoys me "I've shipped, let me know when you've received it and you're happy with it, once you've posted positive feedback I'll reciprocate". As a buyer, once I've promptly paid, I'm ready to receive positive feedback from the buyer. I hate hostage feedback.

I'm NOT saying those things justify a 4. I am saying that those things could result in you getting a 4. Or several 4s.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamcardscria View Post
Can anyone tell me how my DSR rating can go down from 4.9 to 4.8 in the shipping category when I offer free shipping on all of my listings??? This just knocked me down from the 20% to the 15% discount range.. I absolutely can't stand Ebays new system.
Maybe you didn't combine shipping on multiple purchases?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Johnny S

It seems that about 95% of buyers are pretty good, the other 5% are a funny bunch, you could give them cards for free, ship for free, and they still would find a problem and complain. I guess it's just the way of the world.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
JB

Default ..............................

Their star rating is asanine.............................4 out of 5 will get you suspended.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Mike Mccullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Maybe you didn't combine shipping on multiple purchases?
Free is free no matter how many you purchase. I do agree that someone could give a lower rating because there not satisfied with something else.