NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Tim

I recently purchased a card that I think is a lower grade than it should have recieved. One explination I was given is that it may have a surface wrinkle that is only visible through a loupe.

Do many of you use a loupe when examining your cards and if so what kind? I did a search and there are a lot of different ones.

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Neal

I use a 10x jewelers loupe. However,I have found to work even better is a giant magnified glass with light built in. Works like a charm!

Very similar to this one!

http://www.electronicsnmore.com/product_info.php/products_id/8451?osCsid=a957ea7ad3c585829053837749b0d3a3>

Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Paul Grubor

I agree..I use an Ultra-Optix MG model #SV-3LP and its the perfect tool for examining cards. I usually wait for a sunny day and tilt the card every possible way looking for imperfections. I start with the corners and then throughly examine the edges and middle. I then check the back for hidden wrinkles and corner wear. I'm a PSA dealer and I also write down what I think the examiner will grade the card. I'm getting a tad better each year very seldom do I miss an obvious flaw such as a light surface wrinkle. Anyway, my Ultra-Optix magnifying glass works wonders but I'm not even sure if they still produce them.

Paul

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: TFerg

Bausch and Lomb makes a 10X attached to a pen light(2 AA batteries req.)

Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Neal

http://www.ultraoptix.com/Pages/Products%20Page.html

Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: barrysloate

A loupe should be a part of everyone's collection. It really helps you see things you would otherwise miss, especially if you have eyesight like mine (thick glasses, bifocals, the works).

Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Rob D.

Barry,

Are you suggesting a loupe over a magnifying glass? Or is using anything that simply provides magnification enough? Are there advtantages of using a loupe instead of a magnifying glass?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Rob- there are some high quality magnifying glasses, but they are better for enlarging a wide area. A loupe allows you to look at a smaller area more clearly and with great detail. Generally your eye is much closer to the object with a loupe.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: barry arnold

i'm with my fellow dinosaur (Barry S.) on this one.
loupe--gotta have it.

best,
barry

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Aaron Patton

...is 10x standard? Are there disadvantages to using anything over 10x?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

I don't know what the ideal enlargement is, and it might vary based on the user's eyesight (I'm guessing). I think if you make the image too large it can be difficult to see clearly. Try a couple out; there will be one that you will like over the others.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Joe D.

get this one.....

and walk around shows with it on. Look sternly at the dealer when you ask if you could examine the card more closely.

http://www.ariamedical.com/seiler-led.html

Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: sonny

Dave's vintage cards has a couple to choose from

https://www.gfg.com/baseball/loupe.shtml

Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Joe- I recommend that surgical loupe for splitting atoms. Gives you a good clear view of them critters.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: dan mckee

If you need a loupe to see an imperfection, then there is no imperfection on that card to a collector.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Matt

dan - that depends on how bad your eyesight is

Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: davidcycleback

I remember when I was a kid and my dad got bifoculs, because it was easier to beat him in ping pong.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: dan mckee

Damn Matt you got me again! That is very well put and the more I think about it, the more you are correct!!! too funny, if I am legally blind and see nothing on an obviously creased card, then I lose. STOP Bursting my bubble!!! But you do crack me up! Dan

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Joann

Actually Dan, you had it right. There is no blemish on a card if it can't be seen **by a collector**. If your card looks great to you then it looks great, whether your eyesight is 20/10 or 20/200.

Whether a defect is actually there only matters if the collector decides to trade or sell. Only now, because there is a matter of objective value in the collecting world at stake, does the individual eyesight matter and the collector needs to determine the actual condition of the card - maybe even with a loupe.

So as long as you are in the role of (as the post said) a collector, your standard of "if I can't see it it isn't there" is exactly correct. Only when your role changes to seller or trader does eyesight come into play.

I'm just saying.

Joann

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Loupe Question

Posted By: Louis Bollman

If you are concerned with surface wrinkles it is not a loupe that tells the story. Do what the graders do. Go to any office supply store and get a cheap desk lamp with a hologen (spelling ?). View the card(s) in question in a darker room with just the desk lamp. Hold the card at different angles and if the card has a wrinkle or a faint crease it will be far more visable than with any magnification available.

Having said this, I couldn't agree more with the others who stated that if the card looks good to you it's probably good enough. Speaking for myself, I would rather have a fresh looking T206 from the "Southern Find" that has a tiny, "factory" wrinkle than a toned example with a few corner touches that still technically (in the grading word) grades a "7".

Louis Bollman