NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Change....wretched " Change"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket9 View Post
I like it! Their label was in desperate need of updating. As martuzzi stated the perforated edges on their old labels looked horrible at times. I think this change was a long time coming.

...I'm still aggravated that they moved the damned barcode in 1999....

Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Typically when I look at a graded card I will just glance at the flip and then spend the rest of my time looking at the actual card.
Lucky you. I find the flips a huge distraction as my eyes naturally draw towards them. That's one of the main reasons I collect raw.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hey Chuck, I have no concerns over the pristine holder, none of my cards would be graded as such. It all boils down to uniformity with the other SGC graded cards. I have nearly 100 Detroit OJs, all in SGC holders with green label. I have a couple upgrades ready to be sent in that will now stick out. When displaying the collection a good looking slab with a uniform look will help put the emphasis on the cards as it should be. I'm very stubborn on uniformity in all my hobbies, be it cards, coins, etc. I recognize it as a fault. This label change will result in some of us being less loyal to SGC. I'd be satisfied if they simply retained the green border. Maybe I'll be less opposed with time.
This I can understand. I have definitely learned over the years that many collectors strive for that element of uniformity.

As a side note, I think the best and most positive thing out of all this is that SGC is not going down without a fight. Not that they were on the way out, necessarily, but things weren't looking good -- SGC was stagnant as a company, while PSA had been introducing improvements to their products and site left and right.

It now seems like SGC is making a concerted effort to improve their product and market share, and that can only be a good thing for us collectors. The more competition for PSA and BGS, the better (even if SGC will never be as big as PSA, they don't have to be).

I also hope the improvements to the actual holder and plastic mold will forever eliminate the dreaded "slipping the gasket" epidemic that we saw with many SGC encapsulated cards, especially the glorious cabinet cards we all know and love. I thought I saw a mention of improvements to the holder itself, hopefully being similar to the PSA slab in which the rear portion fits inside of the front.

I am pulling for SGC to succeed with all of this.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Lucky you. I find the flips a huge distraction as my eyes naturally draw towards them. That's one of the main reasons I collect raw.
You get to feel, touch, and smell the cards. Maybe you're the lucky one.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Have a submission in right now. Hopefully I will still get the old label. LOL
Me too...
Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
The offer program in particular is exciting!
Until people start using it to offer $10 on $100 cards...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Do anyone know for sure if the actual holder itself is being redesigned? or if it's just the label?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Surely they’ll allow a minimum offer to be input by the seller, similar to eBay. I hope...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
Surely they’ll allow a minimum offer to be input by the seller, similar to eBay. I hope...
But then you'd have to price or value every card you own in SGC flips on their website for that to happen. Otherwise, how would the website know what your card is worth to you/the market and what a fair offer for it is? I bet a lot of collectors will just turn that option off after getting a couple of offers, since many never plan to sell their own cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
But then you'd have to price or value every card you own in SGC flips on their website for that to happen. Otherwise, how would the website know what your card is worth to you/the market and what a fair offer for it is? I bet a lot of collectors will just turn that option off after getting a couple of offers, since many never plan to sell their own cards.
Good point. Hopefully SGC is taking all of this crucial stuff into consideration.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Manny
Banned

For any card graded gem mint 10, you should have the option of embedding a polished diamond stone on the flap, next to the grade.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM
“the bambino”

It’s obvious there are many different opinions regarding the color of the flip and that not everyone will be happy, regardless what color they use. With that in mind, SGC should offer whatever color the customer chooses. Doesn’t seem like it would be very difficult for them to do, nor cost prohibitive. It could be as simple as an option to fill out on the submission form. So if I’ve submitted a bunch of ‘48-49 Leaf, I could ask for a particular color...say blue for example. For my ‘52 Topps I would like to have green ones. Then I could identify a card from far away (identity the year/issue anyway). Of course it may be a little more difficult to sell a rainbow-colored collection when the time comes...lol.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Just like they do on the BST. At least prior to making an offer you won't have to read that the card is undergraded or that it's really not OC when it's OC.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As an aging fart I appreciate the larger numbers.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As an aging fart I appreciate the larger numbers.
Me too but there is an abundance of OCD collectors. These changes sometimes cause them nightmares. For me, change is normal, but not so for many. Whenever we make any slight modification to the board I get PMs about it changing....That said every company has to roll with the times.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 AM

If the old label is better, maybe someone will come up with an HES (high end slab) sticker or a HELL (high end label logo) sticker to put on there....
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
It’s obvious there are many different opinions regarding the color of the flip and that not everyone will be happy, regardless what color they use. With that in mind, SGC should offer whatever color the customer chooses. Doesn’t seem like it would be very difficult for them to do, nor cost prohibitive. It could be as simple as an option to fill out on the submission form. So if I’ve submitted a bunch of ‘48-49 Leaf, I could ask for a particular color...say blue for example. For my ‘52 Topps I would like to have green ones. Then I could identify a card from far away (identity the year/issue anyway). Of course it may be a little more difficult to sell a rainbow-colored collection when the time comes...lol.
Although I haven't thought it through,it seems to me that this is actually not a bad idea in general, although I would tweak it. Leave the flip as it is, but have another flip, identical in format, that gets affixed over the top (on the holder) and is readily removable. This could not be the same color as any of the "official" flips, or if it was, it would need some distinguishing characteristic so it could not be perceived as official if removed and used improperly. Then all of your cards would have the same look, in a manner endorsed by the grading company and in a format that all know, but you still could remove your own labels when selling so that the buyer: a) can see the original and official flip to determine it's legit, and b)would not be turned away by your choice of fuschia and yellow. Again, it should be readily removable so as to not leave a bunch of residue or otherwise make it hard to get the holder back to its initial look.

As suggested, it seems to me the "over-flips" could easily be printed in a variety of colors at low cost and with little production time added. Maybe make them tamper evident--I dunno, just spit-ballin here. Personally, I have no concern about the colors, fonts, style, etc. of the flip, but I see where it makes a difference to a lot of folks here, so maybe we can refine the particulars if people are interested in the concept. After all and as observed, others are already slapping stickers on these slabs--why not have some personalized decorating done at the ground level?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
I think it’s worked out pretty well with the Heritage “make an offer program.”
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket9 View Post
Do anyone know for sure if the actual holder itself is being redesigned? or if it's just the label?
I wondered that myself.

Nowhere has it been stated that the holder is redesigned, but the first thread that broke this news was all about the "new slab" so everyone went with that.

If you look at the edges of the slab on the previous photo with the new flip, it does look like the seam is slightly different, but it could just be photoshop touchups making it look more clean for the website.

Last edited by CW; 07-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
A more innovative solution would be to simply reverse the holder halves, using the current front as the back and the back as the front. Let all the grade-heads flip the card to see the flip. Those that buy the card and not the holder won't care. And those that buy the holder will flip having to flip the card to see the flip.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
A more innovative solution would be to simply reverse the holder halves, using the current front as the back and the back as the front. Let all the grade-heads flip the card to see the flip. Those that buy the card and not the holder won't care. And those that buy the holder will flip having to flip the card to see the flip.
In an ideal world (for me), the flip would give an opinion on authenticity and alteration status only, letting collectors decide on the grade. In reality, though, that will never happen because too many people want their opinions spoon fed to them by someone else. The number of people I have met in my life who happily let someone else do their thinking for them is staggering. I'm not at all saying all slabbies are idiots, I'm just giving a "bonafide" grade lets the idiots into the party.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:49 AM
Bill Gregory

I like the change to a 1-10 grading scale. But that gold label for pristine cards is hideous. A simple "10" is enough.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Kyle May

I would be fascinated to know what research they did that led to the decision to go with these new flips.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-06-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
In an ideal world (for me), the flip would give an opinion on authenticity and alteration status only, letting collectors decide on the grade. In reality, though, that will never happen because too many people want their opinions spoon fed to them by someone else. The number of people I have met in my life who happily let someone else do their thinking for them is staggering. I'm not at all saying all slabbies are idiots, I'm just giving a "bonafide" grade lets the idiots into the party.
I get your point... but the grade really helps me when purchasing online. Unless you can see the card in person and move it around in the light it is really hard to judge sometimes. If you're buying 8, 9, or 10s it probably doesn't matter but if you're in the low-mid grades like me there could be any number of flaws that just don't come across in all pictures. If something looks like a 6 and is a 6 then great... if something looks like a 6 and is a 3 then that is when I start asking more questions or asking for better pictures.

I'm more interested in comprehensive grading notes online than the grade itself. If there is a surface wrinkle or light crease that a photo isn't picking up I'd like to know.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
I'm more interested in comprehensive grading notes online than the grade itself. If there is a surface wrinkle or light crease that a photo isn't picking up I'd like to know.
I agree. This would be incredible.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I would be fascinated to know what research they did that led to the decision to go with these new flips.
Research? You're kidding, right?! (Sorry - I just couldn't resist!)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Probably this much -

"Beckett has a backlog, what are they doing that we aren't?"
"well, their labels are different colors"
"Could it really be that easy?"
"Maybe? Who knows"
"Ok, lets do that"
Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Personally I care about the card and could care less about the flip.

I expect that SGC will offer the new flip as a courtesy (free of charge) to

any collector with several hundred of the older flips so the the uniformity of our

(OCD collectors') collections can be maintained.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Another earth shaking brand changeup by SGC.

Meh.
...whatever I want
Old 07-15-2018, 04:00 AM
Paul

One thing I would like, is for SGC not put "hand cut" on all W cards. Not all W cards are hand cut strip cards.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

I hope they are not just changing the label alone. I hope they introduce a new holder as well. Just changing the label doesn't do anything. They have done this several times already.

Last edited by TheRocket9; 07-15-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Will PSA continue to sell for a premium to SGC ? Or will these new changes help their product sell on par with PSA.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Will PSA continue to sell for a premium to SGC ? Or will these new changes help their product sell on par with PSA.
My guess is if PSA even remotely saw SGC as a threat, they would have just bought them by now.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Have a submission in right now. Hopefully I will still get the old label. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Me too...
FYI...

I got my submission back today, and they came with the old flips. So I'm happy...
Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
FYI...

I got my submission back today, and they came with the old flips. So I'm happy...
Mine too!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
My guess is if PSA even remotely saw SGC as a threat, they would have just bought them by now.
And my guess is PSA thinks competition is good. I doubt they would buy SGC regardless of the situation. But who knows? I know I need to send in another submission to SGC soon to keep my 18 yrs streak going. The only grader for me is SGC.....My one submission to PSA sucked and I doubt I go back to them to submit. I will still have cards in their holders but SGC gets my business for being the most accurate (not perfect) graders. BVG is a close second for me. If Beckett did a better job marketing their vintage they might get the prices they deserve. Until then SGC is my main choice. It sounds like the old flips are staying for now, which is a good thing for many. For me, flips aren't that important.

Last edited by Leon; 07-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Submission back today. Old label as is tradition. All good!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This may have been addressed---if so I just missed it, but is the actual size/ dimensions of their slab going to remain the same?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1010 View Post
Personally I don't care what their label looks like, or what their holder looks like. The only thing that I care about is that the grade they do put on the card is an accurate grade! I have way too many SGC & PSA graded cards that have been so inconsistently graded over the years that it's almost embarrassing to pull out a 7 in a holder that today would be lucky to get a 5 with todays grading. If they are going to make one change, please let it be consistent grading of their cards for all submissions. I for one am getting tired of playing the submission roulette depending on which grader you happen to get on any given day with both PSA & SGC.
The biggest change to card grading will be when PSA, SGC, BGS, or whoever decides to implement AI for grading. When you remove human subjectivity from the process, it will be (in theory) as consistent as it gets. While it would potentially improve the turnaround times and increase throughput, there are potential downsides too. At that point, I doubt there would be nearly as many crossover attempts.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:33 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Really? Holy cow....PSA will always command a premium over SGC...Prewar cards like T206s, not even close....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 07-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Really? Holy cow....PSA will always command a premium over SGC...Prewar cards like T206s, not even close....
Seems like they demand a premium in all their cards. People are addicted to their registry and pop report.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And my guess is PSA thinks competition is good. I doubt they would buy SGC regardless of the situation. But who knows? I know I need to send in another submission to SGC soon to keep my 18 yrs streak going. The only grader for me is SGC.....My one submission to PSA sucked and I doubt I go back to them to submit. I will still have cards in their holders but SGC gets my business for being the most accurate (not perfect) graders. BVG is a close second for me. If Beckett did a better job marketing their vintage they might get the prices they deserve. Until then SGC is my main choice. It sounds like the old flips are staying for now, which is a good thing for many. For me, flips aren't that important.
Interesting, coming from you Leon. I have always written off vintage BVG stuff because I've heard so many concerns about grading trimmed cards or overgrading in general. I may rethink my position. I've always thought SGC is more consistent, even though PSA commands an obvious premium. For whatever reason, PSA has tightened up their grades significantly. In many cases, older flips would grade at least a full point lower than even 5 years ago.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Default Officially arrived.

Well I guess it's official.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38391432_10156418751494373_2692792912311222272_n.jpg (71.1 KB, 535 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

The holder looks the same, which is fine with me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Eric
Eric

Saw them at the National today. I actually like the look. I know that puts me in the minority but I like them.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Eric Cheng

I like it look better than the previous one. but still wish they use better material like beckett, and maybe security sticker like psa
Old 08-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Ne@l K

Impressive

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 PM
James

Default Size of the Number Grade

The picture in a previous post doesn't give perspective on how large the number grade is on the flip. SGC is doing a lot of things right by collectors with the changes they are making, but the size of the number grade on the flip overshadows the card underneath. The close to uniform feedback I heard from other hobby collectors was that the size of the number grade should be reduced significantly to keep the focus on the card itself and not cheapen the look of the flip. I'm in that camp!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Stephen Benzel

Why are there two grades next to the 4.5 Joe Jackson? And neither are a 4.5, but instead would be 3 and 5.5?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankweather View Post
Why are there two grades next to the 4.5 Joe Jackson? And neither are a 4.5, but instead would be 3 and 5.5?
Just a guess here, but a 4 is considered VG-EX, so a 4.5 would be VG-EX+. SGC just divided the "VG-EX+" into those 2 little hexagons.

I am disappointed that the SGC holder is the same and that the edge seal was not improved to be more tamper evident.

Last edited by CW; 08-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.