NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Richard Simon

Default Wow! What a Steiner deal. $2500 for a handshake, autograph and of course a ticket

Just got this e mail offer:

Steiner Sports
VIP Meet and Greet with Derek Jeter and a 100-Level Game Ticket ($2,500); VIP Mariano Rivera Meet and Greet and a 100-Level Game Ticket ($2,000); Signed Derek Jeter Photograph ($290); or Mariano Rivera's Record-Breaking 602 Baseball ($265)
Why settle for a close-up on the Jumbotron when you can shake your idol's hand?

--
Now I got to go out and sell my Christy Mathewson so I can meet and greet with Derek.
Wow! What a deal. Can I meet and greet both? Who the hell needs to buy food or pay the rent when Derek, Mariano and Brandon need more dough. .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Anyone still think Derek's not a greedy bastard?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

The person who bought the Mint 10 Ozzie Smith RC for $20,000 must be kicking himself now - he could have met Derek Jeter 8 times!

I can see Babe Ruth standing behind a barricade at a stadium now.

DAD- (yelling to Ruth) "Hey Babe, do you have a second for a picture and to sign a ball for my kid? He's a big fan!"

Ruth - (with a look of disgust on his face) "That'll be 50 bucks Jack! Now amscray!"

Last edited by travrosty; 04-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Anyone still think Derek's not a greedy bastard?
How many players aren't these days?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Does that include authentication?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM

I wish more people on the Yankees were like Curtis Granderson. That guy signs ALL day and is happy to do it. While he was still on Detroit he even thanked everyone at spring training who waited for him. I remember over the summer he even let himself be an auction item for a meet and greet so that the guy who gave Derek back his ball could pay off some of his loans. Didn't see Derek on the list. Hmm....
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Steve Zarelli

Jorge Posada is doing a private signing with Steiner tomorrow. I called to get a quote for a 16x20 flat mail in item

$500.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Richard Simon

The business of America is business,,, but this is greed run rampant and taking advantage of the obsession of the collector.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Bilko Glasier

Sad thing is, is there will be people lining up to pay $2500 for a hand shake, autograph and game ticket

Is the 100 level at least a good ticket in Yankee Stadium??
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Sad thing is, is there will be people lining up to pay $2500 for a hand shake, autograph and game ticket

Is the 100 level at least a good ticket in Yankee Stadium??
This Met fan has no idea and never will .
--
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Barry Sloate

A better question isn't why the players want so much money, but why is there a single fan who would be willing to spend $2000 to greet a player? It's not like it's going to be the beginning of a long friendship. Most players couldn't give a crap about the people who idolize them. So what satisfaction does a fan get in this kind of meeting? That is something that has escaped me as long as I have been in this hobby.... but that's me.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-13-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The business of America is business,,, but this is greed run rampant and taking advantage of the obsession of the collector.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
Richard, isn't it partly the fault of adult collectors who resell signed items? Are they taking advantage of us, or vice versa? Or is it symbiotic?

Back when pro players signed happily for free, they were signing to real fans who treasured the item and the moment. I have about ten items that I've had personally signed since I was a kid - none will ever be for sale.

It's quite different now.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was able to participate in one such event several years back with Don Newcomble but that was a charity fundraiser and we got to spend several hours with Newk at Dodgers Stadium, got lunch at the stadium club, and got to see the game from the executive level. But to hand a guy who made about a quarter of a billion dollars another chunk of hard-earned money just to shake my hand and sign one autograph? As some of the residents of the surrounding area might say "fugedaboudit."

There is one simple remedy: refuse to participate. Steiner has to pay Jeter regardless, so if no one buys the 'event' then they will lose their shirts and learn not to try something like this again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
D.B. Cooper

Will he look you in the eye as he shakes your hand, or is that an extra $500?

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Scott S

I bet a lot of the people who would participate are corporate people looking to schmooze and impress their clients by letting them meet Jeter. What's $2500 to a company trying to do a multi-million dollar deal?

Steiner probably preys on corporate minds in NYC for a chunk of their business for events like this, would be my guess...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Scott

Thats RIDICULOUS. I'm meeting Chumlee and Big Hoss from Pawn Stars next week and its FREE! Much better deal IMO
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I bet a lot of the people who would participate are corporate people looking to schmooze and impress their clients by letting them meet Jeter. What's $2500 to a company trying to do a multi-million dollar deal?

Steiner probably preys on corporate minds in NYC for a chunk of their business for events like this, would be my guess...
Absolutely. Their customer base is corporate and executives who want a signed ball in their office and don't care to cruise ebay looking for deals. People to whom $500 is an average dinner out.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 04-13-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I wish more people on the Yankees were like Curtis Granderson. That guy signs ALL day and is happy to do it. While he was still on Detroit he even thanked everyone at spring training who waited for him. I remember over the summer he even let himself be an auction item for a meet and greet so that the guy who gave Derek back his ball could pay off some of his loans. Didn't see Derek on the list. Hmm....
If I recall correctly, Granderson also has a keen interest in the history of baseball.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jeter

There would be a longer line for Jeter, and one I might even be in, if fans could be mean to him.....This is the reason I don't care for MLB or most other pro sports today. I don't mind them making a ton of money but they really should give back too....

Last edited by Leon; 04-13-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: toned it down some....
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
James Wymer

I would not pay $2500 to shake hands with Ruth or Cobb even if that was possible. At the end of the day they are still just human beings that get paid extremely well to play a game that people love to play for free. No disrespect intended to Cobb or Ruth.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would not pay $2500 to shake hands with Ruth or Cobb even if that was possible.

Wasn't Coach's Corner auctioning tix for a Cobb handshake session like last month? I think for $1500 you could feel the ol' "Georgia Peach's" grip and even get a free stock tip from Ty no extra charge.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

If Granderson is a student of the history of the game, kudos to him. There are a few ballplayers that do not know who Jackie Robinson was and was he did for baseball.

A couple years ago one was asked about Robinson and couldn't tell the interviewer anything about him.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony s. View Post
will he look you in the eye as he shakes your hand, or is that an extra $500?
lol!!! Too funny!!!

Last edited by Bilko G; 04-14-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Thats RIDICULOUS. I'm meeting Chumlee and Big Hoss from Pawn Stars next week and its FREE! Much better deal IMO

Chum is pretty cool. Seems like a guy that you would have a great time meeting.

"Big Hoss" seems like a total dick to me.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Paul

Default Derek Jeter

You guys have already made up your minds about Jeter. And you are of course free to hate modern celebrities who make millions of dollars playing a child's game.

But you should at least consider the simple fact Jeter does more charitable work than any other Major League Player today. I would be extremely surprised if he was pocketing his earnings from this meet and greet. He does most of his meet and greets for his Turn 2 Foundation.

Here is just one recent of a myriad of articles that discuss Jeter's considerable charitable efforts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ek-jeter_N.htm

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
You guys have already made up your minds about Jeter. And you are of course free to hate modern celebrities who make millions of dollars playing a child's game.

But you should at least consider the simple fact Jeter does more charitable work than any other Major League Player today. I would be extremely surprised if he was pocketing his earnings from this meet and greet. He does most of his meet and greets for his Turn 2 Foundation.

Here is just one recent of a myriad of articles that discuss Jeter's considerable charitable efforts.

When an appearance is for charity don't they usually state that it is for charity in the advertising? Just asking.
--
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Paul

The five most charitable athletes in MLB:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10290837

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-14-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Paul

Quote:
When an appearance is for charity don't they usually state that it is for charity in the advertising? Just asking.
Steiner is making money from this, obviously. My point is that Jeter is unlikely to be pocketing his share of the $25,000 that he will raise through this.

@SignedT206
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
Just asking.
Nice come back.

@SignedT206
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:

+1
Full disclosure: I'm definitely not a Yankees fan, but let's give Jeter credit where credit is due for his charitable work....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:

Ditto. Just because Jeter doesn't go around bragging about his enormous contributions to his charity (Turn2Foundation) doesn't mean he pockets every penny he earns from commercials and his Steiner Sports contract.

If you don't want to spend $2500.00 to meet and greet Jeter, then don't. Those who can afford to, and want to, pay. It's really that simple.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
+1
Full disclosure: I'm definitely not a Yankees fan, but let's give Jeter credit where credit is due for his charitable work....

Admittedly, from reading that article, Jeter does seem to give back to the community. Kudos to him for that. I didn't realize he was that charitable. My disdain for MLB just spilled over to him. While I consider most of them whiny babies I am sure there are many good-hearted players too.
The price of $2500 does seem like a lot of money though and makes me think of greed....sorry, that is the way I feel. Kind of makes me think of trying to take the family to a MLB game (if I even wanted to). Good luck on that expense. But I am sure Jeter's and other players gazillion dollar salaries have nothing to do with that. It's not their fault though...I would take the money if I were them too.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There would be a longer line for Jeter, and one I might even be in, if fans could be mean to him.....This is the reason I don't care for MLB or most other pro sports today. I don't mind them making a ton of money but they really should give back too....
that is insane....I can't wait for May 30th when the Yanks come to Anaheim. I have seats over the visiting dugout and "PROMISE" to give him and ear full as we are with in spitting distance of the visiting players. I love to give them s*** when they walk back to the dugout after a strikeout. They have to walk into the dugout, right in front of us. My wife won't like it none to much as a Yankee fan, but who cares. I will will be calling him a greedy dirty stinking scum bag slob as well as a disgrace to the game for charging that kind of money for an autograph. I will try to get one and rip it up in front of him. He does sign before games, so I'll give him that much. Mariano does too at least the past 6-7 years we've had these tickets.

I hope that covers it for you guys....any other suggestions or personal messages you'd like relayed to Dickweed Jeter, I'll be happy to yell them for you for only $25.00

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
. I will try to get one and rip it up in front of him. He does sign before games, so I'll give him that much. Mariano does too at least the past 6-7 years we've had these tickets.

I hope that covers it for you guys....any other suggestions or personal messages you'd like relayed to Dickweed Jeter, I'll be happy to yell them for you for only $25.00
Jeter signs for kids and women and typically tells men to go buy one. It's great that he is so charitable. Too bad he doesn't give much of a damn about the other vast majority of fans... The schlubs who actually go to games and pay for tickets. I still recall the news conference where he had to stand next to Christian Lopez and looked like he wanted to crawl out of his own skin to get away from the kid. (Kid who caught his 3000th hit.)

Rivera on the other hand has always been generous free signer to everyone and his Steiner fees are less than half of Jeter or Posada. I sat a few rows behind Rivera in the old Tiger Stadium. The bullpen was on the field and they sat on a bench right up against the wall. Rivera fed signed balls over his shoulder and into the crowd the entire game. A class act.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
But you should at least consider the simple fact Jeter does more charitable work than any other Major League Player today.
Source?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is a cartoon I drew a few years ago. I find it quite pertinent to this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-14-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Paul

Quote:
Source?
Did you read either of the articles I posted above?

@SignedT206
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This is a cartoon I drew a few years ago. I find it quite pertinent to this thread...
Cool comic and, yes, perfect for the thread!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Did you read either of the articles I posted above?
Yeah--I read them both. Not much hard info in either. And neither of them claimed he does "more charitable work than any other Major League Player today."

Reading critically is quite a useful skill.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Bilko Glasier

I will also mention that when athletes appear through another company that is in the business, like Steiner, the athlete usually never has any say in what the company charges the consumer for an auto or a personal appearance (meet and greet).

Usually the company will pay (negotiate) a flat fee and then the company will charge what they wish for the auto or meet and greet. Sometimes (very rarely but it happens) the athlete doesn't even know what the company is charging for an in person auto or meet/greet.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I will also mention that when athletes appear through another company that is in the business, like Steiner, the athlete usually never has any say in what the company charges the consumer for an auto or a personal appearance (meet and greet).

Usually the company will pay (negotiate) a flat fee and then the company will charge what they wish for the auto or meet and greet. Sometimes (very rarely but it happens) the athlete doesn't even know what the company is charging for an in person auto or meet/greet.
I respectfully disagree.

There is no way that the reps of anybody being paid to make an appearance would allow their client to get a flat fee that is not tied in some way to the amount being charged to the public.

As a tour accountant for touring bands, the best analogy for me would be that the cost of a concert ticket is 100% tied to the amount being paid to the band. That's not my opinion, that is a statement of fact.

Doug
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I respectfully disagree.

There is no way that the reps of anybody being paid to make an appearance would allow their client to get a flat fee that is not tied in some way to the amount being charged to the public.

As a tour accountant for touring bands, the best analogy for me would be that the cost of a concert ticket is 100% tied to the amount being paid to the band. That's not my opinion, that is a statement of fact.

Doug

Okay, well maybe for some big celebrity athlete like Jeter this is true. I do know what i posted is FACT on certain NHL players that have appeared for signings at card shows.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Jeter signs for kids and women and typically tells men to go buy one.
Not every man who wants a Jeter autograph and is willing to buy one can afford one at today's prices. And there's nothing to prevent a kid or woman from selling their free Jeter autograph to the man who was just told to go buy one.

Derek Jeter FEH.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Okay, well maybe for some big celebrity athlete like Jeter this is true. I do know what i posted is FACT on certain NHL players that have appeared for signings at card shows.
Then they (or their reps) are not very smart.

Doug
Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Paul

Quote:
Yeah--I read them both. Not much hard info in either. And neither of them claimed he does "more charitable work than any other Major League Player today."

Reading critically is quite a useful skill.
Basically third-party anecdotal evidence is always subject to claims of "lack of hard info." The point, which is undisputable, is that Jeter is easily one of the most charitable, if not the most charitable, player in the game today.

If you dispute that, why don't you provide some "hard info"? You can browse 501c3 data online. Why don't you spend some of your time doing research rather than just publicly bitching about modern baseball players on an internet chat board.

Heck, I'll even take "soft info" from major news sources suggesting Jeter's charitable endeavors aren't at the top of his class.

By my count this is at least the second time you've gone out of your way to criticize the guy on a vintage memorabilia forum. You hate him like a stalker. I'm just saying.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Sure! No problem!

You make the absurd--and totally unsubstantiated--claim that Jete's the most charitable player in the game, and I'll check the 501c3 data to see if you're right.

Kind of back-asswards, don't you think?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
By my count this is at least the second time you've gone out of your way to criticize the guy on a vintage memorabilia forum. You hate him like a stalker. I'm just saying.
And, by my count, this is at least the second time you've come to his defense. You love him like a little girl.

I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-15-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Paul

Quote:
Sure! No problem!

You make the absurd--and totally unsubstantiated--claim that Jete's the most charitable player in the game, and I'll check the 501c3 data to see if you're right.

Kind of back-asswards, don't you think?
Um.... I substantiated it with news stories. You weren't convinced. You wanted hard evidence. Find it yourself.

@SignedT206
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Paul

Quote:
And, by my count, this is at least the second time you've come to his defense. You love him like a little girl.

I'm just sayin'.
Clever retort. I point out your obsession with unsolicited attacks. I come to his defense, and I'm the stalker? Makes sense.

Tell you what, you stop talking about "greedy bastard" modern players and count the number of times I ever mention a post WW2 player on this chat board after you stop. We'll call it even.

@SignedT206
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:

I'm just sayin'.

No Offense to T206, but i think David wins this battle with that come back. LOL!!!!