NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Default Psa flip experts needed!!!

disclaimer: this is NOT my card, but it was attempted to be sold to me a few months back and is currently still being shopped around. I know this is the wrong forum, but hoping for a little leniency considering the value, potential harm this thing could cause another collector and the fact that my question is in regards to the flip itself, not the era of the card in it:

I do have my opinion, but what is the general consensus on this flip?

Last edited by begsu1013; 03-29-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM
pete ullman

i concur...I see a flip.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM
John Wondowski

For a card of this value, go directly to PSA. If something is wrong, they are the folks to deal with it. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

wondo,

I tried that a few months back and never even got a reply.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Robert Williams

Here is the original card.....

It was sold by Memory Lane in 2009. There are some spots of yellow in the green banner that aren't showing up in yours. You can always call Memory Lane and they can get you in touch with who won the card in 2009.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-29-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Sean Costello

I see what appears to be frosting running the length of the left side of the holder. It appears that it was opened and re-closed.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I see what appears to be frosting running the length of the left side of the holder. It appears that it was opened and re-closed.
This is a very sophisticated fake created by someone working out of Mexico. In hand you can quickly and easily tell the flip is off. The holder is real, the card is real, the back of the flip is real but does not match the generation of the slab it is contained in. I was offered this card about 5 or 6 months ago with a large grouping of items. This crook is prominent and using tons of pawns to distribute his junk in the states while never coming anywhere near the border.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Hi Sean,

You seem to be familiar with some specifics of this crook. Is there any more information you could share?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Not a 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Here is the original card.....

It was sold by Memory Lane in 2009. There are some spots of yellow in the green banner that aren't showing up in yours. You can always call Memory Lane and they can get you in touch with who won the card in 2009.
The crazy thing is that the original card does not even appear to be a 10. It has a very slight cant or tilt to the left and is not perfectly centered which is more evident along the right border. I realize this is not the point of this discussion but it is crazy to see some of these 10s in holders bringing multiple thousands above Mint 9 prices when in fact, they appear or could be interchangeable on any given day. I think those that pay those premiums are CRAZY!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-30-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

thanks guys. this was the exact conclusion I came to as well. I tried searching for the original card/flip but couldn't find it! thanks to all.

I have told this individual it was a fake however he is still shopping it and attempted to sell it off to a buddy of mine (emmitt)

several things that stuck out like a sore thumb were: the overall font, spacing, the "8" in 1980 isn't level, the two "PP's" in topps.

I asked him to do the light thru the flip test as well and never got any communication afterwards.

again thanks to all and for the leniency of being in this forum. this one just get's more eyes and these are the opinions I value!

-Bob Evans
Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
thanks guys. this was the exact conclusion I came to as well. I tried searching for the original card/flip but couldn't find it! thanks to all.

I have told this individual it was a fake however he is still shopping it and attempted to sell it off to a buddy of mine (emmitt)

several things that stuck out like a sore thumb were: the overall font, spacing, the "8" in 1980 isn't level, the two "PP's" in topps.

I asked him to do the light thru the flip test as well and never got any communication afterwards.

again thanks to all and for the leniency of being in this forum. this one just get's more eyes and these are the opinions I value!

-Bob Evans
No problem on a bit of leniency Bob. Important things need more eyes, we are usually cool with that.
I am guessing the ring of fraudsters Sean refers to is the same one that has been selling a lof of high end bogus PSA cards on Craigslist for years. A couple? years ago I was quite involved with this case. The Dept. of Homeland Security and Secret Service have been working on it as it seems to have a perpetrator, who is the ringleader, that is out of this country (not so positive on that though).... He is good at what he does unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:

-Bob Evans
You're not THE Bob Evans are you?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
You're not THE Bob Evans are you?
I am a Bob Evans, but no matter which one would never claim to be THE Bob Evans. I do have a decent collection though. ; )

sean and leon,

Yes, it seems the fraudsters have gotten better and better unfortunately. a few years ago, the barcodes didn't even match. I would use the red laser app and as long as they had a decent pic posted you could scan them w/ your phone. However all that changed about a year ago. They've gotten so sophisticated that they actually match these days. I couldn't get a good enough resolution to scan the Henderson, but it appears that they even attempted to have the barcode positioned in the same manner as the original. in the end, it's sickening and despicable. what's worse is that poor collectors that have gotten duped are trying to pass them off on other collectors instead of chaulking it up to a lesson learned, albeit a pretty expensive one!

thanks again for the help and info!

Last edited by begsu1013; 03-30-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
... I realize this is not the point of this discussion but it is crazy to see some of these 10s in holders bringing multiple thousands above Mint 9 prices when in fact, they appear or could be interchangeable on any given day. I think those that pay those premiums are CRAZY!

Mike
+++1 on that! I recently heard of someone paying $35K for a PSA 10 Ozzie Smith rookie--I could rationally see a "10" bringing 5X or (outer limits) 10X what a nice NMMT 8 would fetch, but that is insane! There are a lot better ways to spend that amount on truly rare and significant cards, as opposed to spending $30,000 plus on a plastic holder with a paper slip encapsulated in it!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

I tend to agree as well. I have and will spend $30K on a 52 mantle. a 1980 Henderson? wouldn't even consider it!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
I tend to agree as well. I have and will spend $30K on a 52 mantle. a 1980 Henderson? wouldn't even consider it!
Just slightly different degrees of crazy...that's all!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:08 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

crazy is an understatement for me!