NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
I'm not sure how credit solves any problems; it just creates many more potential serious ones - much more serious than folks trying to stay awake. Bidders don't need another tool to over extend themselves; their credit cards are enough.
If we were talking about how to save money and not spend it on cards this would be a perfect answer you gave. However, what we are talking about is how to potentially have the best ending of an auction where no one gets shut out because they have lost 1 item and can't go back to another. If an AH (** I have no inclination to ever do this as an AH, but it is done) extends credit then that could make it where folks don't get shut out if there is more than they can afford at one time. For me, if the Driers collection were sold all at once I wouldn't have had the disposable income to get my 3-4 top pieces, which I eventually did as the auctions were spread out. If it were all sold in 1 auction and, If I could have gotten 3-6 mos to pay, it would have worked for me too. BTW, I protect my 800'ish credit score so it's not like I am going too crazy with over-financing .

Last edited by Leon; 04-01-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Zach

Lots of good points being made in this thread. My primary want would be to have lots close individually. I really don't like waiting around for hours for a particular lot to close when there has been no recent bid activity on that lot. If there's a bidding war going on in other lots, then let those lots keep going but don't hold everything else in limbo.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCabron View Post
This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke. There's no possible way you could be suggesting that you, or any other human, should be boycotting auctions that aren't on your list, but should bid with freaking Legendary. Please tell me that's not a serious post. Please?

With all the fraud in the hobby and all the shady practices, you're going to vote with your dollars based on the manner in which an auction house closes? I wonder how much extra voting you did with your dollars by getting shill bid by scumbag auction houses over the years. But I guess at least you got to bed early.

I'm not saying any auction house has a perfect way of closing and dealing with the extended bidding period (a perfect way does not exist), but to take a stance like this when there is rampant fraud which you can't pretend you're not aware of, is absolutely insane.

-Ryan
Hi Ryan! You know my personal stance on Legendary. I don't bid on their auctions and didn't mean to imply anybody should. Sorry. They are on this list because they close their auctions lot by lot. Didn't mean to imply anything more than that and should have said so.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-01-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Ryan Christoff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for clarifying that. Your post made it seem like that's what you were implying, especially when you mentioned voting with your dollars. I'm glad you're not encouraging people to bid with Legendary just because they close their auctions in a particular way.

-Ryan
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Wrong. LOTG ended at about 6am eastern. Goodwin has ended that late (early) as well. At the age most of us are you're much more likely to be up at 6am on the east coast than I am to be up at 3am on the west coast.
Completely agree. I am up most mornings working on my computer at 6 AM. The last time I was up at 3 AM I obviously had no impulse control and therefore had no business making financial decisions.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Hi Ryan! You know my personal stance on Legendary. I don't bid on their auctions and didn't mean to imply anybody should. Sorry. They are on this list because they close their auctions lot by lot. Didn't mean to imply anything more than that and should have said so.

jeff

Jeez, this is still a hobby, right? Boycotting and organizing labor seems extreme.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Jeff P

Union? No.

Boycott? Sure.

The only way things are going to change in this hobby is if collectors stand up and say ENOUGH. Put your money where your mouth is.

jeff
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Union? No.

Boycott? Sure.

The only way things are going to change in this hobby is if collectors stand up and say ENOUGH. Put your money where your mouth is.

jeff
I thought you just clarified that that's NOT what you meant to say. Which is it?

-Ryan
Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Doug Goodman

You guys realize that if the auctions "closed" at noon, the extended bidding times would still last until the west coast went to bed, right?

The only way that auctions are not going to last "forever" is for them to have a definitive end time, ebay style.

Ultimately, extended bidding gets more money for the items, generally speaking.

Ending the entire auction at the same time gets more money for more items, generally speaking.

The only people complaining about the late hours are buyers, I don't see any sellers complaining, or did I miss something?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Bry@n

Extending credit is an interesting idea for AHs that want to risk the headache, though I think that credit should come with an immediate 50-70% downpayment that is forfeited if the balance is not paid. If the buyer doesn't come through then the AH then owns the item and can sell it in the next auction, or offer it to an underbidder, with the downpayment as a cushion against future price uncertainty (and a penalty for the person who doesn't pay his debts).

As for closing times, are there any auctions that enter extended bidding on Sundays around, say, 8 PM Eastern? Sunday evenings are the peak Ebay time because that seems to be when people have the least going on in their lives. If you entered extended bidding at 8:00 EST, closed lots individually, and ran 30 minute intervals for the first hour (8:00-9:00), 15 minute intervals for the second hour (9:00-10:00), and 5 minute intervals from 10:00 PM Eastern/7:00 PM Pacific until every lot ended I think the vast majority of the lots in the auction would be over by 1:00 AM EST/10:00 PM PST, no? Sure, some people on the West Coast would have to miss dinner on Sunday night but it is a lot easier to skip dinner on the West Coast to bid than it is to skip sleeping on Sunday night to bid on the East Coast.

Edited to add: I have little experience with AHs so I apologize if that second paragraph was stupid.

Last edited by Jobu; 04-01-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCabron View Post
I thought you just clarified that that's NOT what you meant to say. Which is it?

-Ryan
Hi Ryan! Sorry for the confusion as there's two threads running through this topic that I'm not doing a very good job of separating. I am boycotting Legendary because of their fraudulent activities. Not boycotting auctions that are closing all at once. While I don't like the fact that some auctions close in the dead of night, fraudulent behavior is in a class all by itself.

In hindsight, I should have just left Legendary out of the lot by lot conversation as it just muddied a healthy discussion on auction ending times.

jeff
Old 04-02-2015, 05:36 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
if people start voting with their dollars and further supporting auction houses who don't close all at once at insane hours of the night.

Here's my list. Let me know if I'm missing anybody.

Baggers
Brockelman & Luckey
Bussineau
Heritage
Huggins & Scott
Joe’s Vintage Sports Cards Auctions
Legendary Auctions
Mears Auctions

jeff
Jeff, Don't know why you'd want to boycott a slew of good honest auction houses just because they have different ending times.
Just place your top all bid and get some sleep.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Line of Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thank God for you Rick!! Everyone overlooked a potential (heck if I know for sure) solution to the problem. If anyone would care to also answer I would love to hear some views. All opinions are welcome. I am curious as a collector, resale buyer, seller, consignor, auctioneer.....need I keep going?

So if you could pay for winnings over 3-6 or more mos., would that be viable and level the playing field any?

Approving a line of credit prior to the auction start and potential having extended time to pay for things wouldn't make a difference to me. I would not use it.

Z Wheat
Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Jeff, Don't know why you'd want to boycott a slew of good honest auction houses just because they have different ending times.
Just place your top all bid and get some sleep.
Only boycotting Legendary, Jay, for different reasons as mentioned. I didn't mean to imply or throw good, honest auction houses under the bus. I know consigner preferences often drive the closing method an auction house chooses. Some may be more convenient for some than others but as long as they are honest, that's good enough for me!

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-02-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Noticed this tonight while thumbing through the REA catalog: "Payment is due within 14 days of notification of lots won. Please call to prearrange and to be approved for any type of payment schedule, which can sometimes be arranged with a deposit and interest charges."

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Noticed this tonight while thumbing through the REA catalog: "Payment is due within 14 days of notification of lots won. Please call to prearrange and to be approved for any type of payment schedule, which can sometimes be arranged with a deposit and interest charges."

DJ
REA has always (as long as I can remember) offered generous terms to their customers on a case by case basis. I know I have almost taken them up on it a few times but in the end had the funds, if I remember correctly? Who knows with their current auction I might have to ask again!!

Last edited by Leon; 04-03-2015 at 06:42 PM.