NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 AM
J@son.K

Default Hank Aaron opinions

Anybody care to give me their thoughts on this Aaron signed ball? Any Hank Aaron experts out there? I've always had trouble authenticating Aaron as his signature evolved quite a bit over the years. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HankAaron.jpg (30.4 KB, 290 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 AM

Who is the league president on the ball?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 AM
J@son.K

Scott, it's a William (Bill) White ONL ball.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Aaron

I am not an autograph expert but I have been collecting Aaron for over 30 years and I have many Aaron autographs.

I believe your Aaron is real and that it was signed in the late '80's or early '90's. It matches up well with my Aaron autographs from that period. It is probably on a William White ball or possibly a Giamatti ball. See attached photos. First photo shows 3 White balls. Second photo shows evolution of Aaron's signature from Feeney (far left), to Giamatti (center) to White (far right). Sometime in the early '90's he truncated the "n" and the "k" for awhile. (He apparently had arthritis but was not taking any arthritis medicine at that time.)

Also, in the late '80's and early '90's, no one was forging Aaron since he was a $40 - $50 autograph.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white balls aaron.jpg (69.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Feeney Giamatti White Aaron.jpg (70.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM
J@son.K

Those are some nice Aaron signed balls, dspuria. Thanks for posting them. I especially like that Oh/Aaron ball. I recently passed on one just like that because I wasn't sure about the Aaron sig. The Oh definitely looks good to me though.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM

My pleasure. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

If I could borrow this thread, a friend of mine who buys collections recently acquired one of these Front Row Hank Aaron signed cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-FRONT-R...item4ae8a7276a

Supposedly certified but I have never seen an Aaron signature with an "H" like this, and the first "A" in Aaron doesn't sit right with me either. Checking eBay there are quite a few listed at what seems like steal prices for Aaron. I told him when he showed it to me that I didn't think it was authentic but he told me it was certified and he felt it was good. I wouldn't touch this card, even with the $30 BIN one is currently listed for. All I know about Front Row was that they produced draft pick sets for a year or two with players pictured in their HS/college uniforms, and then quickly disappeared. Does anyone have insight into this card? Any info is appreciated!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 PM

I don't know anything about the card, but in my opinion, the autograph is bad.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
If I could borrow this thread, a friend of mine who buys collections recently acquired one of these Front Row Hank Aaron signed cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-FRONT-R...item4ae8a7276a

Supposedly certified but I have never seen an Aaron signature with an "H" like this, and the first "A" in Aaron doesn't sit right with me either. Checking eBay there are quite a few listed at what seems like steal prices for Aaron. I told him when he showed it to me that I didn't think it was authentic but he told me it was certified and he felt it was good. I wouldn't touch this card, even with the $30 BIN one is currently listed for. All I know about Front Row was that they produced draft pick sets for a year or two with players pictured in their HS/college uniforms, and then quickly disappeared. Does anyone have insight into this card? Any info is appreciated!

PSA/DNA has slabbed a ton of these as authentic. Bad thing is they are not good. The price they sell for is a good indicator that the smart collectors are staying away.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post
PSA/DNA has slabbed a ton of these as authentic. Bad thing is they are not good. The price they sell for is a good indicator that the smart collectors are staying away.
My late night Google searching actually led me to a post you made about these cards on this site a couple years ago and I was going to PM you. I agree, I immediately thought the Aaron was bad and seeing the examples on eBay only solidified that opinion. Do you (or anyone) have any backstory on these? How did a company that at the time was trying to be a legitimate contender in the hobby resort to trying to pass these off as real? I was a little surprised that I couldn't find any articles on these cards in any of my searches. Just looking for further info to support my case, I really want something to show my friend (the auto itself was all I needed, but he doesn't know autographs very well) so he doesn't try to sell the Aaron to some unsuspecting collector.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Karl Mattson

The Front Row autos don't seem terribly different from most of the other Aaron autos I've seen from the early to mid-1990s - what specifically don't you like about them?

And, if they're bad, what's your theory of the crime? Front Row had someone forge these and then distributed them with Aaron and his people not knowing or caring? And then PSA authenticated them based solely on their provenance and didn't bother to compare them to the hundreds of exemplars they have?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

The "H" and first "A" are the most obvious characteristics I don't like. Sure, they are "similar" but not close enough for me to believe they are real. Also, the slant of the Front Row signatures is completely different than any of the Aarons I own or have seen, or any of the ones you posted.

I'm don't have a theory, that's what I'm really asking about here. It seems mind-boggling that a company would pull something like this off, and I was shocked I couldn't find anything about this online. If real, which I highly doubt, why would eBay be littered with Hank Aaron autographs for $30 or less? If fake, why is there no mention of this anywhere (that I could find anyway), you would think at the very least Aaron would have brought a lawsuit against them.

Last edited by dgo71; 04-20-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

How would these rate?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...